Monday 21 March 2016

THE BETRAYAL THAT CANNOT BE FORGIVEN

20160322 THE BETRAYAL THAT CANNOT BE FORGIVEN

Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Violet.

First reading
Isaiah 49:1-6 ©
Islands, listen to me,
pay attention, remotest peoples.
The Lord called me before I was born,
from my mother’s womb he pronounced my name.
He made my mouth a sharp sword,
and hid me in the shadow of his hand.
He made me into a sharpened arrow,
and concealed me in his quiver.
He said to me, ‘You are my servant (Israel)
in whom I shall be glorified’;
while I was thinking, ‘I have toiled in vain,
I have exhausted myself for nothing’;
and all the while my cause was with the Lord,
my reward with my God.
I was honoured in the eyes of the Lord,
my God was my strength.
And now the Lord has spoken,
he who formed me in the womb to be his servant,
to bring Jacob back to him,
to gather Israel to him:
‘It is not enough for you to be my servant,
to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back the survivors of Israel;
I will make you the light of the nations
so that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.’

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 70:1-6,15,17 ©
My lips will tell of your help.
In you, O Lord, I take refuge;
  let me never be put to shame.
In your justice rescue me, free me:
  pay heed to me and save me.
My lips will tell of your help.
Be a rock where I can take refuge,
  a mighty stronghold to save me;
  for you are my rock, my stronghold.
Free me from the hand of the wicked.
My lips will tell of your help.
It is you, O Lord, who are my hope,
  my trust, O Lord, since my youth.
On you I have leaned from my birth,
  from my mother’s womb you have been my help.
My lips will tell of your help.
My lips will tell of your justice
  and day by day of your help.
O God, you have taught me from my youth
  and I proclaim your wonders still.
My lips will tell of your help.

Gospel Acclamation

Glory and praise to you, O Christ!
Hail to you, our King!
Obedient to the Father, you were led to your crucifixion
as a meek lamb is led to the slaughter.
Glory and praise to you, O Christ!

Gospel
John 13:21-33,36-38 ©
While at supper with his disciples, Jesus was troubled in spirit and declared, ‘I tell you most solemnly, one of you will betray me.’ The disciples looked at one another, wondering which he meant. The disciple Jesus loved was reclining next to Jesus; Simon Peter signed to him and said, ‘Ask who it is he means’, so leaning back on Jesus’ breast he said, ‘Who is it, Lord?’ ‘It is the one’ replied Jesus ‘to whom I give the piece of bread that I shall dip in the dish.’ He dipped the piece of bread and gave it to Judas son of Simon Iscariot. At that instant, after Judas had taken the bread, Satan entered him. Jesus then said, ‘What you are going to do, do quickly.’ None of the others at table understood the reason he said this. Since Judas had charge of the common fund, some of them thought Jesus was telling him, ‘Buy what we need for the festival’, or telling him to give something to the poor. As soon as Judas had taken the piece of bread he went out. Night had fallen.
  When he had gone Jesus said:
‘Now has the Son of Man been glorified,
and in him God has been glorified.
If God has been glorified in him,
God will in turn glorify him in himself,
and will glorify him very soon.
‘My little children,
I shall not be with you much longer.
You will look for me,
And, as I told the Jews,
where I am going, you cannot come.’
Simon Peter said, ‘Lord, where are you going?’ Jesus replied, ‘Where I am going you cannot follow me now; you will follow me later.’ Peter said to him, ‘Why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.’ ‘Lay down your life for me?’ answered Jesus. ‘I tell you most solemnly, before the cock crows you will have disowned me three times.’

THE BETRAYAL THAT CANNOT BE FORGIVEN

Were you troubled when you read the opening words of today’s gospel when St John wrote, “Jesus was troubled in spirit”?  For the evangelist to describe Jesus in those words, he must have seen the normally calm Jesus emotionally affected by the attitude of Judas and His disciples.  He must have been so deeply troubled that He needed to ventilate His frustrations and fears to His apostles saying, “I tell you most solemnly, one of you will betray me.”
But why was Jesus so distressed? Of course we should be able to empathize and sympathize with Jesus who saw through how His closest friends and disciples would eventually betray Him, especially Judas.  To suffer the betrayal of our loved ones is the most difficult thing to accept, especially when that person is your spouse, your best friend or someone whom you love and have helped a lot.  This explains why adultery wrecks not just a marriage but triggers deep emotional upheaval and even depression in the one betrayed, sometimes causing the person a total loss of confidence in love, friendship and marriage.
As a human, Jesus would have suffered what we go through in any betrayal. Still, what was the real cause of the distress of Jesus as a consequence of the betrayal?  Was it the fear of a cruel death ahead of Him?  Or was it more the fear for Judas and the Eleven, that their betrayal of Him is more a betrayal of themselves?
In the final analysis, when we betray someone, we betray ourselves, our values, our dignity and our integrity.  This was what happened to Judas and Peter.  Judas ended up committing suicide as he could not forgive himself for being so foolish as to hand over his master to his enemies.   He lost confidence in himself and despised not just his action but his very being.  Peter too, in some ways was also representative of the other apostles when he denied his association with Jesus.  Peter out-rightly denied he knew Jesus whilst the others fled and abandoned Jesus at the hour when He most needed them.  Peter was so remorseful for what he did that the moment he became conscious of his act, he wept.  But thanks to the grace of God, he was humble enough to repent and he received forgiveness and healing from the Lord.
There is a fundamental difference between the two betrayals.   The first betrayal was grounded in pride, ambition and greed.  Judas betrayed Jesus with malice and full consent.  His act was cold and calculated.  It was premeditated, for Jesus told Judas, “What you are going to do, do quickly”.  Where Judas deliberately betrayed his Master, Peter however, in a moment of weakness, denied him with an oath. He was ruled by cowardice and weakness.  Peter, like the rest of the apostles, was sincere in loving and defending Jesus but was too timid in the face of threats against his own life.   He hoped that he would never be the one who would betray Jesus and hence he nudged John to ask Jesus who would be the one.  A further indication that there was no intention whatsoever of Peter abandoning Jesus was his self-assured confidence when he said, “Why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”  But Jesus who knew Peter so well, cautioned him, “I tell you most solemnly, before the cock crows you will have disowned me three times.” So it was out of cowardice and weakness that he denied Jesus, to his great disappointment.  That was how the others, other than Judas, also felt as they in bewilderment “looked at one another, wondering which he meant.”  In their hearts, none of them ever thought that they would also betray their master.
Even the effects of the betrayal were different.  Judas, a man so proud and insistent on his will, could not accept Jesus’ unconditional forgiveness.  He fell into the snare of the devil, which made him believe that his sinful action could never be forgiven by Jesus and definitely not by his fellow apostles. So he never asked for forgiveness.  Instead, so disgusted was he with himself that in despair he was led into believing that by taking his own life, he would win Jesus’ forgiveness.  He could not appreciate that Jesus loved him unconditionally.  The cure for his self-rejection was not suicide but repentance.
Peter, on the other hand, was taken over by love, for when he saw Jesus who looked at him, he went out and wept bitterly.  He was truly contrite and remorseful for his weakness.   His tears were tears of sorrow and contrition, unlike that of Judas’, which were tears of despair.   In Peter’s deep regret for what he did, he must have remembered Jesus’ teaching on forgiveness and so he found the courage to meet Jesus again when He rose from the dead.   And the tears washed away his guilt and sin.
By resolving to turn to the Lord, he eventually became an apostle of love to the world, fulfilling the vocation that was given to the suffering servant.   We too are called to be that apostle of the Good News of God’s love and mercy.  Like Peter and the apostles, we are weak and unworthy to proclaim Jesus to the world.  But what is to be underscored is that God is our strength.
But will we betray him?  The answer is “yes” because of our human weakness.  But we have the sacrament of reconciliation and the assurance of God’s forgiveness given to us through the one eternal sacrifice of Christ, which means that He always forgives us.   We are all sinners and will always remain so.  At some time or another, we will fail the Lord and betray Him by our words and actions.  What is asked of us is our sincerity and humility to turn to Jesus for forgiveness and for healing.  God knows us better than we know ourselves; that we will fail, notwithstanding our good intentions.  We will falter but we will not be crushed by our sins and failures.  God will continue to supply us the grace we need.  All we need to do is to return to the Lord.  We must imitate Peter in repentance.  We must weep tears of sorrow.  He knew that the Lord would never reject him.
This is what the Psalmist wants to remind us, that salvation is the work of God in us, not our strength.  Together with the psalmist we must pray, “In you, O Lord, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your justice rescue me, and deliver me; incline your ear to me, and save me. Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, for you are my rock and my fortress. O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked. For you are my hope, O Lord; my trust, O God, from my youth. On you I depend from birth; from my mother’s womb you are my strength.”
Of course we must also be on guard against the subtle temptations of the Evil One.  Just as he managed to disarm Judas, so too, we must be on the alert!  We must turn to the Lord and beg for His grace and mercy to walk in the path He has shown to us.  We must ask for the grace to feel horror for our sins and the tears to wipe out our guilt.
And having been forgiven ourselves, we must also celebrate this forgiveness we have received by forgiving those who have betrayed us as well.  Like Peter, those who betrayed us also did it mostly out of cowardice, ignorance and fear.  Just as Jesus loves us and chooses to heal us of our lack of integrity and self-respect through forgiveness, we too must release those who have hurt us by forgiving them so that they can forgive themselves as well.  In so doing we identify ourselves with Jesus and become the channels of God’s healing grace through our innocent suffering.  Yes, let us pray for healing and reconciliation in our estranged relationships so that when Easter comes, we will all be made a new creation and become participants of the new life of freedom and joy in the Risen Lord.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment