Sunday 5 June 2016

VISITATION OF GOD THROUGH THE HUMAN TOUCH

20160605 VISITATION OF GOD THROUGH THE HUMAN TOUCH

Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Green.

First reading
1 Kings 17:17-24 ©
The son of the mistress of the house fell sick; his illness was so severe that in the end he had no breath left in him. And the woman said to Elijah, ‘What quarrel have you with me, man of God? Have you come here to bring my sins home to me and to kill my son?’ ‘Give me your son’ he said, and taking him from her lap, carried him to the upper room where he was staying and laid him on his own bed. He cried out to the Lord, ‘O Lord my God, do you mean to bring grief to the widow who is looking after me by killing her son?’ He stretched himself on the child three times and cried out to the Lord, ‘O Lord my God, may the soul of this child, I beg you, come into him again!’ The Lord heard the prayer of Elijah and the soul of the child returned to him again and he revived. Elijah took the child, brought him down from the upper room into the house, and gave him to his mother. ‘Look,’ Elijah said ‘your son is alive.’ And the woman replied, ‘Now I know you are a man of God and the word of the Lord in your mouth is truth itself.’

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 29:2,4-6,11-13 ©
I will praise you, Lord, you have rescued me.
I will praise you, Lord, you have rescued me
  and have not let my enemies rejoice over me.
O Lord, you have raised my soul from the dead,
  restored me to life from those who sink into the grave.
I will praise you, Lord, you have rescued me.
Sing psalms to the Lord, you who love him,
  give thanks to his holy name.
His anger lasts a moment; his favour all through life.
  At night there are tears, but joy comes with dawn.
I will praise you, Lord, you have rescued me.
The Lord listened and had pity.
  The Lord came to my help.
For me you have changed my mourning into dancing:
  O Lord my God, I will thank you for ever.
I will praise you, Lord, you have rescued me.

Second reading
Galatians 1:11-19 ©
The Good News I preached is not a human message that I was given by men, it is something I learnt only through a revelation of Jesus Christ. You must have heard of my career as a practising Jew, how merciless I was in persecuting the Church of God, how much damage I did to it, how I stood out among other Jews of my generation, and how enthusiastic I was for the traditions of my ancestors.
  Then God, who had specially chosen me while I was still in my mother’s womb, called me through his grace and chose to reveal his Son in me, so that I might preach the Good News about him to the pagans. I did not stop to discuss this with any human being, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were already apostles before me, but I went off to Arabia at once and later went straight back from there to Damascus. Even when after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days, I did not see any of the other apostles; I only saw James, the brother of the Lord.

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Ep1:17,18
Alleluia, alleluia!
May the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
enlighten the eyes of our mind,
so that we can see what hope his call holds for us.
Alleluia!
Or
Lk7:16
Alleluia, alleluia!
A great prophet has appeared among us;
God has visited his people.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Luke 7:11-17 ©
Jesus went to a town called Nain, accompanied by his disciples and a great number of people. When he was near the gate of the town it happened that a dead man was being carried out for burial, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a considerable number of the townspeople were with her. When the Lord saw her he felt sorry for her. ‘Do not cry’ he said. Then he went up and put his hand on the bier and the bearers stood still, and he said, ‘Young man, I tell you to get up.’ And the dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him to his mother. Everyone was filled with awe and praised God saying, ‘A great prophet has appeared among us; God has visited his people.’ And this opinion of him spread throughout Judaea and all over the countryside.

VISITATION OF GOD THROUGH THE HUMAN TOUCH

“Everyone was filled with awe and praised God saying, ‘A great prophet has appeared among us; God has visited his people.’”  We are all looking and awaiting the visitation of God in our lives, especially those of us who are walking in darkness or in the valley of death.  Where can we find God today?  How do we expect God to work in our lives?  Many of us expect God to come in spectacular ways, showing forth His power and glory.  Yet, the scripture readings today make it clear that God always comes in ordinary ways and He comes to help us and not to make Himself a spectacle for all to see. 
We read in today’s gospel how Jesus reached out to the widow who lost her only son.  “When the Lord saw her he felt sorry for her. ‘Do not cry’ he said. Then he went up and put his hand on the bier and the bearers stood still, and he said, ‘Young man, I tell you to get up.’ And the dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him to his mother.”  It is significant that Jesus performed miracles not for fame or to demonstrate something about Himself; rather, the motive of Jesus was purely out of compassion.  Jesus knew how to empathize with those suffering, and in this case, the widow who had no one to depend on.  He could feel the grief and loss of the woman and feeling sorry for her, He raised the man back to life.  He personally gave the man back to his mother.  There is no ostentatiousness or publicity of any kind.  Jesus reacted spontaneously to one who needed His help.  Through His human touch, the people saw Jesus as the visitation of God. The evangelist remarked, “Everyone was filled with awe and praised God saying, ‘A great prophet has appeared among us; God has visited his people.’ And this opinion of him spread throughout Judaea and all over the countryside.”
In the first reading too we read how the widow was angry with the prophet Elijah.  We can imagine how betrayed the woman must have felt.  After being so gracious in giving hospitality to the prophet, all she got in return was a curse.  We can understand her frustration, anger and disappointment.  So much so, she took it out on the prophet, the man of God.  She said, or more likely shouted, “What quarrel have you with me, man of God? Have you come here to bring my sins home to me and to kill my son?”   Again, Elijah, truly a prophet of God, did not react with anger in spite of being wrongly accused.  Instead of fighting and arguing with her, Elijah knew that a woman in that state of mind would not stand to reason, as losing one’s son had caused her to be in a state of grief.  What she needed was not a lecture on a theology of a loving God. What she needed at that point of time, was not a reprimand either.  She needed understanding and compassion.  So this was what Elijah did.  Without retorting, he said to her, “‘Give me your son’ he said, and taking him from her lap, carried him to the upper room where he was staying and laid him on his own bed.”  He then prayed earnestly to the Lord, begging Him to raise the child back to life.  And we read, “the Lord heard the prayer of Elijah and the soul of the child returned to him again and he revived. Elijah took the child, brought him down from the upper room into the house, and gave him to his mother. ‘Look,’ Elijah said ‘your son is alive.’”  Indeed, it was through the compassion and sensitive love of the prophet, that the widow could see in him a true man of God and that he was a real prophet indeed.  And the woman replied, “Now I know you are a man of God and the word of the Lord in your mouth is truth itself.”   This is another instance when the love of God is made visible in a human way so much so the spectacular dimension of the miracle was practically played down.
In the second reading from the letter of St Paul to the Galatians, we once again see how the divine works through the human dimension of man.  St Paul attested to the fact that the message that he received was “not a human message … given by men.”  Rather, “it is something I learnt only through a revelation of Jesus Christ.”  Yet, it must be noted that before his conversion, he was a persecutor of the Church.  He was filled with zeal in annihilating the early Christians as he wrongly thought they were traitors of the true religion.  He wrote, “You must have heard of my career as a practising Jew, how merciless I was in persecuting the Church of God, how much damage I did to it, how I stood out among other Jews of my generation, and how enthusiastic I was for the traditions of my ancestors.”  Again, we read how God called St Paul to be His apostle because God knew that He could make use of St Paul’s passion, dedication and courage in preaching the gospel.  Grace transformed St Paul from an enemy and persecutor of the Church to an ardent and zealous apostle of the gospel.
What does it mean for all of us?  The first lesson we can learn from today’s scripture readings is that we need to allow the grace of God to work through us.  God uses our humanity as He used Jesus, St Paul and the prophet Elijah to mediate His love, compassion and presence.  In that sense all of us are invited to be the visitation of God to our people and those whom we meet each day.  It will not be through miraculous and spectacular means that people are brought to conversion.  Rather it is the humble, sensitive, caring, compassionate and loving ways that we will win hearts.  Conversion of souls takes place not through intimidation, condemnation, threats and manipulation.  Such conversion will not last long.  Rather, people are converted to the faith because they see God in us and how grace has transformed us.  In our thoughts, words and deeds, we can touch lives.  So when proclaiming the Good News, let us not think that apologetics and polemics is the way to convert people, rather it is through works of mercy and compassion.  As St Francis of Assisi told his disciples, “Preach the gospel and if necessary, use words!”
Secondly, we must also trust in the power of divine intervention. Although God works through us, we must recognize that we can heal people not with our strength but in God’s alone.  As the psalmist says, “I will praise you, Lord, you have rescued me and have not let my enemies rejoice over me. O Lord, you have raised my soul from the dead, restored me to life from those who sink into the grave. The Lord listened and had pity. The Lord came to my help.  For me you have changed my mourning into dancing: O Lord my God, I will thank you for ever.” Indeed, our faith in changing lives is because of our faith in Christ who is the author of life.
Faith in Jesus as the Lord of life because of the resurrection is critical to our trust in God.  The basis of Christian confidence lies in the fact that Jesus is Lord because of His resurrection.  This is the central message of St Luke for in this gospel text, he addressed Him as Lord.  In other words, St Luke was anticipating for his readers that Jesus is the Lord of life.  He was preparing his readers that Jesus is the resurrection and the life thereby sharing in the creative power of God.  In Him, God has come to visit us through His teachings, miracles, deeds of love and compassion.  He is the fulfilment of the prophets for He is greater than Elijah and John the Baptist.  In Jesus, we know that love will never die and is everlasting.  He has conquered death, which is seen by people in the world as the end of everything in life.  Death destroys all hope and meaning in living since all our aspirations and even relationships will come to nothing.  Those who do not believe in God will end up in annihilation since life is such a contradiction.  At the end of the day, there is only death.  But Christian hope tells us that because of the resurrection, life and love continue in the next life.  So love never ends.
Today, we are challenged to give hope to those who have no more hope and purpose in life.  We are called to be the visitation of God to the world.  By our acts of love, compassion and kindness, we are called to mediate His love and goodness.  It is important therefore that in whatever we do or say, we are conscious that like Jesus, we are sent to bear witness to God’s love in this broken and hopeless world. Will our spouse and children look at us and see the face of God in us?  Will our colleagues and friends or others see us as God’s visitation?  Are we simply bringing the Good News to the world or are we the Good News ourselves?  Jesus is the Good News in person.  What about us?


Written by The Most Rev William Goh Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment