Wednesday 28 April 2021

GOD IS FAITHFUL TO HIS PROMISES

20210429 GOD IS FAITHFUL TO HIS PROMISES

 

 

29 April, 2021, Thursday, 4th Week of Easter

First reading

Acts 13:13-25 ©

God has raised up one of David's descendants, Jesus, as Saviour

Paul and his friends went by sea from Paphos to Perga in Pamphylia where John left them to go back to Jerusalem. The others carried on from Perga till they reached Antioch in Pisidia. Here they went to synagogue on the sabbath and took their seats. After the lessons from the Law and the Prophets had been read, the presidents of the synagogue sent them a message: ‘Brothers, if you would like to address some words of encouragement to the congregation, please do so.’ Paul stood up, held up a hand for silence and began to speak:

  ‘Men of Israel, and fearers of God, listen! The God of our nation Israel chose our ancestors, and made our people great when they were living as foreigners in Egypt; then by divine power he led them out, and for about forty years took care of them in the wilderness. When he had destroyed seven nations in Canaan, he put them in possession of their land for about four hundred and fifty years. After this he gave them judges, down to the prophet Samuel. Then they demanded a king, and God gave them Saul son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin. After forty years, he deposed him and made David their king, of whom he approved in these words, “I have selected David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart, who will carry out my whole purpose.” To keep his promise, God has raised up for Israel one of David’s descendants, Jesus, as Saviour, whose coming was heralded by John when he proclaimed a baptism of repentance for the whole people of Israel. Before John ended his career he said, “I am not the one you imagine me to be; that one is coming after me and I am not fit to undo his sandal.”’


Responsorial Psalm

Psalm 88(89):2-3,21,22,25,27 ©

I will sing for ever of your love, O Lord.

or

Alleluia!

I will sing for ever of your love, O Lord;

  through all ages my mouth will proclaim your truth.

Of this I am sure, that your love lasts for ever,

  that your truth is firmly established as the heavens.

I will sing for ever of your love, O Lord.

or

Alleluia!

I have found David my servant

  and with my holy oil anointed him.

My hand shall always be with him

  and my arm shall make him strong.

I will sing for ever of your love, O Lord.

or

Alleluia!

My truth and my love shall be with him;

  by my name his might shall be exalted.

He will say to me: ‘You are my father,

  my God, the rock who saves me.’

I will sing for ever of your love, O Lord.

or

Alleluia!


Gospel Acclamation

cf.Rv1:5

Alleluia, alleluia!

You, O Christ, are the faithful witness,

the First-born from the dead,

you have loved us and have washed away our sins with your blood.

Alleluia!


Gospel

John 13:16-20 ©

Whoever welcomes the one I send welcomes me

After he had washed the feet of his disciples, Jesus said to them:

‘I tell you most solemnly,

no servant is greater than his master,

no messenger is greater than the man who sent him.

‘Now that you know this, happiness will be yours if you behave accordingly. I am not speaking about all of you: I know the ones I have chosen; but what scripture says must be fulfilled: Someone who shares my table rebels against me.

‘I tell you this now, before it happens,

so that when it does happen

you may believe that I am He.

I tell you most solemnly,

whoever welcomes the one I send welcomes me,

and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.’

 

GOD IS FAITHFUL TO HIS PROMISES


SCRIPTURE READINGS: [Acts 13:13-25Ps 89:2-3,21,22,25,27Jn 13:16-20 ]

We are bewildered at the developments in the world.  In this age of information technology, digital communication, artificial intelligence, individualism and secularism, we are apprehensive about the rapid changes taking place in the world, not just in science and technology, but the changing cultures, values and lifestyles of our people.  The traditional understanding of marriage and family is under challenge on all fronts by the promotion of abortion, divorce, promiscuous relationships and same-sex union.   Freedom is abused because the individual preference promoted by relativism is exaggerated at the expense of the community.   Most of all, the world is concerned about protecting the planet, which is of course the Church’s concern as well.  However, the Church is even more concerned about the ecology of the human person, family and community.  In truth, who is threatening the ecology of the planet? It is a humanity that is inward-looking, selfish, individualistic and concerned about their needs rather than that of the rest of the community and that of creation.

Yet, these negative developments in the world are not new.  History always has its lights and shadows.  We are living in a fallen world and we are part of this fallen world.  In each one of us, there is so much potential for good and evil.  This is because our first parents had eaten the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  (Gn 2:173:3-5) Right from the start, humanity has always wanted full autonomy from God, which is what secularism is all about.  “When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate.”  (Gn 3:6)

On the other hand, man is created in the image of God.  “In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”  (Gn 1:27) He is also created in God’s likeness so that he can share God’s “dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.”  (Gn 1:26) This explains the power and intelligence of humanity to transform the world, using science and technology to make this world a paradise, not just physically and materially but a humanity that promotes love, compassion, service, unity and peace.  Indeed, the possibilities for humanity are beyond our imagination, whether to use his intelligence and power for good or evil, for building up the earth or destroying it, for love or for selfishness.

This is the context by which we should understand the speech of Paul to the Jews in Pisidia at the synagogue.  He gave them a summary of the history of salvation.  In this history, we see how the grace of God was at work in the history of Israel.  God chose Israel and made her great in Egypt.  He then delivered them out of Egypt and looked after them for forty years in the desert.  Then He helped them to destroy their enemies in Canaan and put them in possession of the Promised Land.  Gradually, He gave them leaders, firstly, judges, then prophets and then a King with Saul as the first and then David.  Eventually, it would be Christ who would fulfill the promise made to David that his dynasty would last forever.   Until this juncture of his speech, Paul was highlighting the lights of God’s grace in the history of Israel.  The second part of his speech, he would speak of the shadows of Israel.

As he was addressing the Jews for the first time, it was necessary for Paul to show the link between the history of salvation of the Jews with that of Christ.  This is because Jesus is in continuity with the history of salvation.  He was presented as the climax of the history of God’s promise to the people of Israel as foretold by the prophets and proclaimed by John the Baptist as the forerunner of the Messiah.

This speech of Paul addressed to the Jews is similar to that of the speech given by Peter in his first sermon at Pentecost, and Stephen before the Sanhedrin.  However, in the case of Peter, he illustrated how Jesus was the fulfillment of the prophecies of Joel and the psalms.  (Acts 2:14-36) In the case of Stephen, he began with the patriarchs and focused on Moses instead, ending with King David.  (Acts 7:1-50) Regardless, they all focused on the grace of God at work in the history of Israel.  God was with them all the way as He prepared for the coming of His Son to fulfill His promise made to King David.

Indeed, God has been faithful to Israel.  God’s grace was at work in the history of Israel, leaving aside the infidelities and disgrace which were still not highlighted but implied.  This is why the responsorial psalm chosen as our response to the Word of God declares, “I will sing for ever of your love, O Lord; through all ages my mouth will proclaim your truth.  Of this I am sure, that your love lasts for ever, that your truth is firmly established as the heavens. I have found David my servant and with my holy oil anointed him.  My hand shall always be with him and my arm shall make him strong.”  God is faithful to us regardless of the situation we are in. He does not withdraw His love from us.

The fidelity of God is again brought out by Luke when he mentioned in passing that in Pamphylia “John left them to go back to Jerusalem.”  We are not told of the reasons why John Mark left them half way through the mission.  Scholars speculate that it could be because he was not happy that Paul had taken the leadership from Barnabas, or he could be homesick and desired to return home as the journey was very difficult because of the rough terrain.  We know however that Paul and Barnabas had a strong disagreement with each other and so they parted company, with Barnabas taking Mark with him; and Paul taking Silas.  Eventually they were reconciled.  Again, at that point of time, we might see it as a setback in the mission of proclaiming Christ to the Gentiles.  But God had His reasons and He knows how to turn negative events into something positive.    Paul and Barnabas trusted the Lord’s plan and agreed to disagree instead of squabbling with each other and cause greater tension in the mission.

In the gospel too, we see the extent of Jesus’ love for His disciples and His fidelity to them even though He knew that they would abandon Him and one of them would betray Him.  After washing the feet of His disciples, He said to them, “Now that you know this, happiness will be yours if you behave accordingly. I am not speaking about all of you: I know the ones I have chosen; but what scripture says must be fulfilled: Someone who shares my table rebels against me.”  He was calm and was not agitated, knowing that they would betray Him, especially Judas who would even go to the extent of selling Him to the religious leaders for a few silver coins.  Yet Jesus, without retaliation and anger, was resigned to the divine plan of God.  He said, “I tell you this now, before it happens, so that when it does happen you may believe that I am He.  I tell you most solemnly, whoever welcomes the one I send welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.”

Once again, we are reminded by our Lord that we would have to share His confidence in His Father’s plan.   He told His disciples, “I tell you most solemnly, no servant is greater than his master, no messenger is greater than the man who sent him.”  We too must continue to persevere.  Sometimes, we see that what is happening in the world or in our lives is beyond our control.  Instead of feeling nervous and anxious, we should surrender our anxieties to the Lord.  Even when all things fail, even when the planet is under threat, even when our families and marriages are going to the dogs, even when the culture of death is promoted, let us remember that God is in charge of this world.  He is faithful to His promises.   God’s grace will prevail at the end.  Of course, humanity and the Church would have to pay a heavy price if we do not listen to the Word of God.  If we are stubborn, proud and arrogant, we will have to go through a period of disgrace, exile, abandonment, reduced to nothingness like the remnants of Israel during their exile, before we can rise again.  Until then, let us do our best and all we can to proclaim and live the gospel in our lives.  The rest, we leave into the hands of God.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment