Thursday 22 March 2018

DEALING WITH OUR OPPONENTS

20180323 DEALING WITH OUR OPPONENTS


23 MARCH, 2018, Friday, 5th Week of Lent
Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Violet.

First reading
Jeremiah 20:10-13 ©

He has delivered the soul of the needy from the hands of evil men
Jeremiah said:
I hear so many disparaging me,
‘“Terror from every side!”
Denounce him! Let us denounce him!’
All those who used to be my friends
watched for my downfall,
‘Perhaps he will be seduced into error.
Then we will master him
and take our revenge!’
But the Lord is at my side, a mighty hero;
my opponents will stumble, mastered,
confounded by their failure;
everlasting, unforgettable disgrace will be theirs.
But you, O Lord of Hosts, you who probe with justice,
who scrutinise the loins and heart,
let me see the vengeance you will take on them,
for I have committed my cause to you.
Sing to the Lord,
praise the Lord,
for he has delivered the soul of the needy
from the hands of evil men.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 17(18):2-7 ©
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.
I love you, Lord, my strength,
  my rock, my fortress, my saviour.
My God is the rock where I take refuge;
  my shield, my mighty help, my stronghold.
The Lord is worthy of all praise,
  when I call I am saved from my foes.
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.
The waves of death rose about me;
  the torrents of destruction assailed me;
the snares of the grave entangled me;
  the traps of death confronted me.
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.
In my anguish I called to the Lord;
  I cried to God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice;
  my cry came to his ears.
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Jn6:63,68
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!
Your words are spirit, Lord, and they are life;
you have the message of eternal life.
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!

Gospel
John 10:31-42 ©

They wanted to stone Jesus, but he eluded them
The Jews fetched stones to stone him, so Jesus said to them, ‘I have done many good works for you to see, works from my Father; for which of these are you stoning me?’ The Jews answered him, ‘We are not stoning you for doing a good work but for blasphemy: you are only a man and you claim to be God.’ Jesus answered:
‘Is it not written in your Law:
I said, you are gods?
So the Law uses the word gods
of those to whom the word of God was addressed,
and scripture cannot be rejected.
Yet you say to someone the Father has consecrated and sent into the world,
“You are blaspheming,”
because he says, “I am the son of God.”
If I am not doing my Father’s work,
there is no need to believe me;
but if I am doing it,
then even if you refuse to believe in me,
at least believe in the work I do;
then you will know for sure
that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.’
They wanted to arrest him then, but he eluded them.
  He went back again to the far side of the Jordan to stay in the district where John had once been baptising. Many people who came to him there said, ‘John gave no signs, but all he said about this man was true’; and many of them believed in him.


DEALING WITH OUR OPPONENTS

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ JER 20:10-13JN 10:31-42 ]
We can easily identify with Jeremiah and Jesus in today’s scripture readings. Very often, we are misunderstood for doing good. Jeremiah prophesied for the sake of his people and his country.  But in the process he was gravely misunderstood by his own people.  Even his relatives and friends were against him.  This was also the situation with Jesus in today’s gospel.  He came to His own, but His own did not accept Him.
The gospel tells us that they wanted to stone Him because He identified Himself with the Father in doing good.  The real pain is not so much the physical pain we suffer, but the emotional pain.  An Indian proverb says, “Stones cannot hurt you as much as words that cut you.” Indeed what is most frustrating and hurtful is when we have given ourselves selflessly to others and instead of gratitude, we receive only negative comments and opposition.
The truth is that when we are in authority or in a position of power, we can expect to face criticisms in life.  We will attract enemies because they do not like the way we manage situations, especially when their interests are threatened.  Some may be envious of our position and office and thus would like to bring us down.  But most of the time, it is due to misunderstandings, disagreements and different mindsets.   If people do not trust us, no matter what we do, they will take a negative view.  It is significant that in today’s gospel we are told that the people believed in the testimony of John the Baptist about Jesus, whereas they did not believe Jesus in spite of the works that He did.
Yet, it is important that we remain faithful to our calling in life in spite of opposition.  That was what Jeremiah and Jesus did.  They did not compromise or give in simply because they faced opposition. How should we handle our opponents?
Firstly, it is important that we are discerning people ourselves.  We must not react by retaliating.  This would not only show us to be immature, but also as overly defensive and closed to dialogue.  Not all criticisms are wrong.  Perhaps some criticisms are sincere and constructive.  We have to weigh carefully what our opponents are saying about us.  They might reveal things about us that we are not aware of.  So before we act, make sure we do not react.  Praying about it can help us to be more objective in evaluating the situation.
Secondly, we need to search ourselves and be certain that we are sincerely doing the will of God.  We must be conscious of our hidden motives, our ego and pride.  We must go through the scriptures as Jesus did to find verification.  Reading the word of God in a prayerful manner will help us to purify our intentions and be clear of the will of God.  Indeed, Jeremiah prayed thus, “But you, Lord of hosts, you who probe with justice, who scrutinize the loins and heart”.  So it is important that before we confront our opponents, we must first bare ourselves before God.
But this is not enough.  We must demonstrate with works.  Indeed, this is what Jesus said to the Jews, “If I am not doing my Father’s work, there is no need to believe me, at least believe in the work I do; then you will know for sure that the Father is in me and I am the Father.”  By our fruits, we show who we are.  Of course, people can misinterpret our actions.
But what is important in the final analysis is not what people say or think, but whether we are true to ourselves and true to God.  Yes, the sincerity and truthfulness of the message of Jeremiah is proven by their fidelity to God’s will and God’s words.  Jesus’ claim to sonship is based on the fact that He identified Himself with whatever the Father willed.
But that is not all, once we have done the necessary and proper discernment, we must entrust everything and our cause to the Lord.  This was what Jeremiah did when he prayed, “But the Lord is at my side, a mighty hero; my opponents will stumble, mastered, confounded by their failure; everlasting, unforgettable disgrace will be theirs. But you, Lord of hosts, you who probe with justice, who scrutinize the loins and heart, let me see the vengeance you will take on them, for I have committed my cause to you.”  Ultimately, God is our judge and He will vindicate us as He did for Jesus.
Jesus too prepared Himself for the baptism of blood by returning to Jordan to reflect further on the implications of His sonship.  Of course, as the gospel remarked, it was at Jordan where John was baptizing that Jesus received His baptism.  At His baptism, He received the anointing of the Holy Spirit and a keen awareness of His sonship.  It was then that He came to full realization what this sonship entailed, namely, obedience unto death, and death on the cross.
In the final analysis, we are called to share in the passion of Christ.  Like Jesus, we are called to carry the cross humbly.  As we are on the threshold of Holy Week, we must be resolute in wanting to be faithful to our beliefs.  Through innocent and vicarious suffering we are sanctified for we learn to let go, and like Jesus, allow God to act on our behalf.

Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment