Monday 13 August 2018

CONVERTING THE UNCHURCHED AND THE MARGINALIZED

20180814 CONVERTING THE UNCHURCHED AND THE MARGINALIZED


14 AUGUST, 2018, Tuesday, 19th Week, Ordinary Time

Readings at Mass

Liturgical Colour: Red.

First reading
Ezekiel 2:8-3:4 ©

He gave me the scroll to eat and it was as sweet as honey
I, Ezekiel, heard a voice speaking. It said, ‘You, son of man, listen to the words I say; do not be a rebel like that rebellious set. Open your mouth and eat what I am about to give you.’ I looked. A hand was there, stretching out to me and holding a scroll. He unrolled it in front of me; it was written on back and front; on it was written ‘lamentations, wailings, moanings.’ He said, ‘Son of man, eat what is given to you; eat this scroll, then go and speak to the House of Israel.’ I opened my mouth; he gave me the scroll to eat and said, ‘Son of man, feed and be satisfied by the scroll I am giving you.’ I ate it, and it tasted sweet as honey.
  Then he said, ‘Son of man, go to the House of Israel and tell them what I have said.’

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 118(119):14,24,72,103,111,131 ©
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.
I rejoiced to do your will
  as though all riches were mine.
Your will is my delight;
  your statutes are my counsellors.
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.
The law from your mouth means more to me
  than silver and gold.
Your promise is sweeter to my taste
  than honey in the mouth.
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.
Your will is my heritage for ever,
  the joy of my heart.
I open my mouth and I sigh
  as I yearn for your commands.
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.

Gospel Acclamation
Mt11:25
Alleluia, alleluia!
Blessed are you, Father, 
Lord of heaven and earth,
for revealing the mysteries of the kingdom
to mere children.
Alleluia!
Or:
Mt11:29
Alleluia, alleluia!
Shoulder my yoke and learn from me,
says the Lord,
for I am gentle and humble in heart.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Matthew 18:1-5,10,12-14 ©

Anyone who welcomes a little child in my name welcomes me
The disciples came to Jesus and said, ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ So he called a little child to him and set the child in front of them. Then he said, ‘I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
  ‘Anyone who welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.
  ‘See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.
  ‘Tell me. Suppose a man has a hundred sheep and one of them strays; will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hillside and go in search of the stray? I tell you solemnly, if he finds it, it gives him more joy than do the ninety-nine that did not stray at all. Similarly, it is never the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.’


CONVERTING THE UNCHURCHED AND THE MARGINALIZED

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [  EZEKIEL 2:8–3:4MATTHEW 18:1-51012-14]
In the gospel, Jesus made it clear that greatness does not lie in rank, position or power in the world.  So when “the disciples came to Jesus and said, ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ So he called a little child to him and set the child in front of them. Then he said, ‘I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.’’  In other words, our greatest dignity lies in the fact that we are all children of God.  By virtue of our baptism, we are all children of God and born into His kingdom.  In God’s eyes, we are all equal before Him.  We are all His children whom He loves.   To enter into the Kingdom, that is, to have the heart of God, we must see ourselves as His children whom He loves.
If we see ourselves as His children, we will not only love the Father but all those whom He loves as well.  “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.” (1 Jn 5:1f) This is what Jesus meant as well when He referred to Himself as the Good Shepherd.   “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.”  (Jn 10:14-17) Jesus was willing to give up His life for the sheep because He was one with the Father in love with His sheep.  This is the meaning of knowing the Father.  To know the Father is to know the heart of the Father, to love those whom He loves.
The implication therefore is that we should not despise any of these little ones.  In other words, for Christians we must share the same mind of God to consider everyone as important to God, especially the littles ones, that is, the poor, the marginalized, the unreached, the abandoned, the strayed, the unchurched, those who do not believe in Him or know Him. Jesus said, “Anyone who welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.”  Indeed, God watches over them continually as well, and seeks to bring them into His family.
Consequently, today, the gospel invites us to be like the Good Shepherd who seeks the lost sheep.  The parable of the lost sheep reveals the heart of God.  Just like the shepherd who leaves the ninety-nine on the hillside and goes in search of the stray, we too must search for the lost sheep.  We must be concerned about those Catholics who have strayed because they are lost, wounded or have fallen into temptation.  They are equally important to us.  The irony is that on one hand we are concerned about evangelizing others, bringing non-Catholics to come to know the Lord.  Although we have done something in the area of conversion, about 1000 converts a year, have we considered that the numbers we bring in each year falls short of the many Catholics who have left the Church or become nominal Catholics after baptism, or in the case of young people, after confirmation.  Although many might still be Catholic, they have stopped attending church services or frequenting the church.
The truth is that about two-thirds of Catholics are in this state.  Our last survey in 2016 could only account for about 133,688 (35.8%) of the total Catholic population in Singapore, ie those who took part in the parish survey, suggesting that the rest did not attend church.  In-depth interviews revealed that those who belong to the ‘unaccounted’ Catholics, numbering 239,547 (64.2%), do not attend mass regularly.  Many do not identify themselves with the Church and hence do not come for mass frequently or did not take part in the survey.  It is clear that they have lost their Catholic identity because of their disillusionment with the Church, coupled with the influence of the secular world.  The values of the world and its pursuits are their preoccupations and God has become only the last resort when they are at their wits’ end.  Many find themselves unable to accept the Church’s teachings on divorce, same-sex union and other ethical and moral doctrines.  They are not able to reconcile their faith with their lifestyle.
Indeed, many who are burdened with their struggles have no one to turn to for spiritual and moral support.  Many have no Catholic friends that they could confide in or seek a listening ear.  They do not feel loved by the Church or the understanding of the community.  Instead, they feel marginalized and even alienated by their fellow Catholics because they have failed to live up to the ideals of the gospel.  This does not mean that all have given up on God or on the Church, but because they feel rejected, hurt or wounded by Church leaders and members, they continue their relationship with God through personal prayer.  Their heart is to return to the Church, but they lack courage and a gracious and welcoming community.
Above all, because of their lack of contact with the Church and seduced by the world, their personal relationship with God suffers.  Their prayer and spiritual life is weakened.  They lack a real personal relationship with God.  When they pray or read the bible, they feel spiritually dry because their sins hinder them from opening themselves up to God or allowing the Spirit of God to touch them.  Their hearts are hardened by the trials and tragedies of life or by pride and arrogance.   God is far from them.  Although in their quiet moments they feel emptiness in their heart and desire to return to God and to the Church, they lack the motivation or the strength to do so.
It is such people that the scripture readings invite us to reach out to.   Like Ezekiel, we are called to reach out to our own people who have strayed away from the faith.  The Lord says, “You, son of man, listen to the words I say; do not be a rebel like that rebellious set.”  God is sending us on a mission like Ezekiel to a rebellious house, to Catholics who have rejected the teachings of the Lord and insist on living according to their own perception of life.  The real problem in reaching out to such people is often not so much the language of communication but a stubborn and arrogant heart, as the Lord told Ezekiel.  Regardless of their resistance to the truth, as prophets, we are to warn them in and out of season.  (cf 2 Tim 4:2)   We should never give up hope on them.
How can we become true prophets that call such people to conversion?  The prophet must first be identified with the Word.   The Lord said, “Open your mouth and eat what I am about to give you.  Son of man, eat what is given to you; eat this scroll, then go and speak to the House of Israel.”  We are called to eat the scroll of the Lord so that we too can be filled with His passion for the suffering of His people who have strayed from His love and His ambit of protection.  Unless we eat the scroll, that is, the Word of God, we cannot be identified with the heart and mercy of God for those who have lost their faith and their way.
Secondly, we must be ready to accept rejection initially when the Word is proclaimed.  “He unrolled it in front of me; it was written on back and front; on it was written ‘lamentations, wailings, moanings.’  Then he said, ‘Son of man, go to the House of Israel and tell them what I have said.’”  Like Ezekiel, the word we proclaim involves judgement and punishments.  We are to remind them that God is still with them even when they are going through trials and sufferings.  Just like the Israelites who were in exile, God wanted Ezekiel to let the people know that He was still with them, even though for the time being, His presence was manifested through the punishment they suffered because of the exile.  But this was only temporary as the intention was to bring them back to Him.  So too, in reaching out to those Catholics who are wounded or have strayed, we must let them know that in their pains and experience of alienation, He is with them.  Through their sufferings, we hope that they would be purified and come back to their senses, like the Prodigal Son and return to the Father’s House.
With the heart of the Good Shepherd, let us not be indifferent to the many Catholics who have lost their faith.  We should never think that our churches are full already and whether they turn up for services or not, they do not matter to us.  God does not think this way.   “Similarly, it is never the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.”  Every sheep is important to the Father, just as every child is important to the parents.  Like the Good Shepherd, we need to seek every one of our lost sheep even as we continue to announce the gospel to those who have yet to come to know Him.  So the work of evangelization must include ad intra and ad extra missions, re-evangelizing the lapsed and nominal Catholics and bringing new sheep into the fold.

Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment