Tuesday 16 April 2019

MAKING PREPARATIONS FOR THE PASSOVER

20190417 MAKING PREPARATIONS FOR THE PASSOVER


17 APRIL, 2019, Wednesday of Holy Week
Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Violet.

First reading
Isaiah 50:4-9 ©

Who thinks he has a case against me? Let him approach me
The Lord has given me
a disciple’s tongue.
So that I may know how to reply to the wearied
he provides me with speech.
Each morning he wakes me to hear,
to listen like a disciple.
The Lord has opened my ear.
For my part, I made no resistance,
neither did I turn away.
I offered my back to those who struck me,
my cheeks to those who tore at my beard;
I did not cover my face
against insult and spittle.
The Lord comes to my help,
so that I am untouched by the insults.
So, too, I set my face like flint;
I know I shall not be shamed.
My vindicator is here at hand. Does anyone start proceedings against me?
Then let us go to court together.
Who thinks he has a case against me?
Let him approach me.
The Lord is coming to my help,
who will dare to condemn me?

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 68(69):8-10,21-22,31,33-34 ©
In your great love, O Lord, answer my prayers for your favour.
It is for you that I suffer taunts,
  that shame covers my face,
that I have become a stranger to my brothers,
  an alien to my own mother’s sons.
I burn with zeal for your house
  and taunts against you fall on me.
In your great love, O Lord, answer my prayers for your favour.
Taunts have broken my heart;
  I have reached the end of my strength.
I looked in vain for compassion,
  for consolers; not one could I find.
For food they gave me poison;
  in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
In your great love, O Lord, answer my prayers for your favour.
I will praise God’s name with a song;
  I will glorify him with thanksgiving.
The poor when they see it will be glad
  and God-seeking hearts will revive;
for the Lord listens to the needy
  and does not spurn his servants in their chains.
In your great love, O Lord, answer my prayers for your favour.

Gospel Acclamation
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!
Hail to you, our King!
Obedient to the Father, you were led to your crucifixion
as a meek lamb is led to the slaughter.
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!
Or:
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!
Hail to you, our King!
You alone have had compassion on our sins.
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!

Gospel
Matthew 26:14-25 ©

'The Son of Man is going to his fate, as the scriptures say he will'
One of the Twelve, the man called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, ‘What are you prepared to give me if I hand him over to you?’ They paid him thirty silver pieces, and from that moment he looked for an opportunity to betray him.
  Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus to say, ‘Where do you want us to make the preparations for you to eat the passover?’ ‘Go to so-and-so in the city’ he replied ‘and say to him, “The Master says: My time is near. It is at your house that I am keeping Passover with my disciples.”’ The disciples did what Jesus told them and prepared the Passover.
  When evening came he was at table with the twelve disciples. And while they were eating he said ‘I tell you solemnly, one of you is about to betray me.’ They were greatly distressed and started asking him in turn, ‘Not I, Lord, surely?’ He answered, ‘Someone who has dipped his hand into the dish with me, will betray me. The Son of Man is going to his fate, as the scriptures say he will, but alas for that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! Better for that man if he had never been born!’ Judas, who was to betray him; asked in his turn, ‘Not I, Rabbi, surely?’ ‘They are your own words’ answered Jesus.

MAKING PREPARATIONS FOR THE PASSOVER

We are approaching the Feast of the Passover, the passion, death and resurrection of our Lord.  Traditionally, the celebration of the Paschal Mystery is during the Easter Triduum.  What is this Passover we are celebrating as Christians?  For the Jews, the Passover is a celebration to give thanks to God for their deliverance from the slavery of the Egyptians to the Promised Land.  More specifically, it refers to the Angel of death which passed over the houses of the Israelites without killing their first-born, unlike the households of the Egyptians.
For Jesus, His Passover was the time when He passed from this world back to His Father after completing His mission on earth. “Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.”  (Jn 13:1)   But before He could be restored to His divine glory, Jesus had to pass through the passion and death on the cross.  Hence, Jesus associated the Lamb that was sacrificed at the Passover with Himself.  Indeed, in John’s gospel, Jesus was crucified on the day before the Passover when the lambs were sacrificed at the Temple.  “Now it was the day of Preparation for the Passover; and it was about noon. Then he handed him over to them to be crucified.”  (Jn 19:14,16)
With this in mind, He asked His disciples to prepare for the feast of Passover.  However, for His disciples, ignorant as they were, they were thinking only of the material preparations for the Jewish Passover without understanding fully what they were undertaking. We too could be like them as well when we celebrate the Christian Passover.  Many of us do not enter into the full significance of the Passover we are celebrating.  We are more concerned with the external aspects of the Easter Triduum than the spirit of the celebration.  Those of us who are involved in the liturgical celebrations could be more concerned about whether we are familiar with the liturgical actions we are called to do, or the hymns we are to sing.  So much so, we fail to enter into the spirit of the Easter Triduum.
How, then, did Jesus prepare Himself for the Passover?  To prepare for His passion, the Lord throughout His life was always in intimacy with His Father.  Like Jeremiah, these words would have applied to Jesus as well.  “The Lord has given me a disciple’s tongue, so that I may know how to reply to the wearied.  He provides me with speech.  Each morning he wakes me to hear, to listen like a disciple. The Lord has opened my ear.”  Jesus was always attentive to the voice of His Heavenly Father.   We read that He would wake up early to spend time listening to Him.   “In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed.”  (Mk 1:35)  It was for this reason that Jesus was ever ready to answer His opponents.  To the question of paying taxes, the reply of Jesus utterly amazed them.  (cf Mk 12:12)  To the question on the resurrection of the dead, Jesus defeated their argument when He said, “Is not this the reason you are wrong, that you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God?”  (Mk 12:24)  In response to Jesus’ answer on the greatest commandment, we read that “After that no one dared to ask him any questions.”  (Mk 12:34)
Secondly, Jesus’ way of overcoming the resistance of His opponents was not to retaliate but to submit.   Jesus was receptive of God’s will and refused to fight with His enemies.  He lived out His teaching of non-retaliation.  “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, ‘Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile.'”  (Mt 5:38-41)  Again, this was how the prophet spoke about his own reaction to his enemies which foreshadowed that of our Lord.  “For my part, I made no resistance, neither did I turn away. I offered my back to those who struck me, my cheeks to those who tore at my beard; I did not cover my face against insult and spittle.”   The psalmist prophesied Jesus’ passion when he said, “Taunts have broken my heart; I have reached the end of my strength.  I looked in vain for compassion, for consolers; not one could I find.  For food they gave me poison; in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.”  Indeed, at the cross, “when Jesus knew that all was now finished, he said (in order to fulfill the scripture), ‘I am thirsty.’  A jar full of sour wine was standing there. So they put a sponge full of the wine on a branch of hyssop and held it to his mouth.”  (Jn 19:28f)
Thirdly, in dealing with His enemies and His fate, Jesus, like the prophets and the psalmist surrendered His life into the hands of God.  Jesus trusted in God’s vindication of His ministry instead of taking matters into His own hands.   This was what was prophesied by Jeremiah when he said, “The Lord comes to my help, so that I am untouched by the insults.  So, too, I set my face like flint; I know I shall not be shamed. My vindicator is here at hand. Does anyone start proceedings against me? Then let us go to court together.  Who thinks he has a case against me? Let him approach me.  The Lord is coming to my help, who will dare to condemn me? They shall all go to pieces like a garment devoured by moths.”  Indeed, on the cross, “Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, ‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.'” (Lk 22:46)  Truly, the words of the psalmist testify to God’s fidelity when he prayed, “I will praise God’s name with a song; I will glorify him with thanksgiving.  The poor when they see it will be glad and God-seeking hearts will revive; for the Lord listens to the needy and does not spurn his servants in their chains.”
Finally, Jesus went through the passion out of love for His Father and for His people.  St John prefaced the beginning of His passion narrative with these words, “Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end” (Jn 13:1) Again, this motive of Jesus is reflected in the psalm when the psalmist says, “It is for you that I suffer taunts, that shame covers my face, that I have become a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my own mother’s sons.  I burn with zeal for your house and taunts against you fall on me.”  Indeed, Jesus was ready to go through His Passover because He knew that that was the way to destroy the power of death over man by dying to death.  “And I lay down my life for the sheep.  For this reason, the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.”  (Jn 10:1517f) In His final prayer, Jesus said, “The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.”  (Jn 17:22f)
But the celebration of the Passover was also to prepare His disciples to remember Him after His death so that they could reenact it in memorial of Him.  Through the celebration of the Passover, Jesus gave a new significance to the Passover of the Old Testament.  He became our Passover and the Lamb of sacrifice.  The apostles were challenged to join Jesus in His Passover to the Father.   But they lacked the courage before the resurrection.  Not all were sincere in following Jesus their master to the Passover.   Taking turns, including Judas, they said to Jesus, ‘Not I, Lord, surely?” when the Lord told them, “I tell you solemnly, one of you is about to betray me.”   What about us?  Are we ready to go through the Passover with our Lord?  Have we made the necessary preparations as our Lord did for the strength and the disposition to go through the Passover?  Let us learn from the disciples’ mistakes and not betray our Lord again.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment