Saturday 22 February 2020

FAITH IN CHRIST AS THE BASIS FOR AUTHORITY IN THE MINISTRY

20200222 FAITH IN CHRIST AS THE BASIS FOR AUTHORITY IN THE MINISTRY


22 February, 2020, Saturday, Chair of St Peter

Readings at Mass

Liturgical Colour: White.

First reading
1 Peter 5:1-4 ©

Watch over the flock, not simply as a duty but gladly

Now I have something to tell your elders: I am an elder myself, and a witness to the sufferings of Christ, and with you I have a share in the glory that is to be revealed. Be the shepherds of the flock of God that is entrusted to you: watch over it, not simply as a duty but gladly, because God wants it; not for sordid money, but because you are eager to do it. Never be a dictator over any group that is put in your charge, but be an example that the whole flock can follow. When the chief shepherd appears, you will be given the crown of unfading glory.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 22(23) ©
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
The Lord is my shepherd;
  there is nothing I shall want.
Fresh and green are the pastures
  where he gives me repose.
Near restful waters he leads me,
  to revive my drooping spirit.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
He guides me along the right path;
  he is true to his name.
If I should walk in the valley of darkness
  no evil would I fear.
You are there with your crook and your staff;
  with these you give me comfort.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
You have prepared a banquet for me
  in the sight of my foes.
My head you have anointed with oil;
  my cup is overflowing.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me
  all the days of my life.
In the Lord’s own house shall I dwell
  for ever and ever.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.

Gospel Acclamation
Mt16:18
Alleluia, alleluia!
You are Peter, 
and on this rock I will build my Church.
And the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Matthew 16:13-19 ©

You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi he put this question to his disciples, ‘Who do people say the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say he is John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’ ‘But you,’ he said ‘who do you say I am?’ Then Simon Peter spoke up, ‘You are the Christ,’ he said ‘the Son of the living God.’ Jesus replied, ‘Simon son of Jonah, you are a happy man! Because it was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my Father in heaven. So I now say to you: You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church. And the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: whatever you bind on earth shall be considered bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth shall be considered loosed in heaven.’


FAITH IN CHRIST AS THE BASIS FOR AUTHORITY IN THE MINISTRY

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ 1 PETER 5:1-4PSALM 23MATTHEW 16:13-19 ]
Today as we celebrate the Chair of St Peter, we also celebrate our unity with the Holy Father who is the Head of the Catholic Church.  The Chair of St Peter symbolizes the authority and power invested on the Holy Father who, as the chief elder among elders, preserves the unity of the Church through His teaching authority.  In confessing his faith in Christ, St Peter as the head of the apostolic college confesses on our behalf the faith of the Church.  Through the faith of St Peter and His successors, the purity of the faith is preserved and on this faith, Christ promised the Church, a clear authority, victory and fidelity.
Hence, the Petrine office cannot be founded on human strength alone but on the mercy, grace and power of God given to His successor.  Faith in the authority of St Peter and His successors must rely on the promises made to St Peter.  In the gospel, Jesus told St Peter, “So I now say to you: You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church. And the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: whatever you bind on earth shall be considered bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth shall be considered loosed in heaven.”  So our faith and obedience to the Holy Father springs ultimately from our faith in Christ because of what He has guaranteed us.  Obedience to the Holy Father is obedience given to Christ.  It was by revelation that St Peter could declare with conviction that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
However, this office cannot be exercised in a dictatorial manner.  That was why Jesus left the Church not just the office of St Peter but the College of Apostles.  St Peter together with the apostles, working together in collegiality, rules the Church of Christ.   Today’s celebration is a reminder that the authority invested on the Bishop and then delegated to his priests is for the service of unity, not domination.  Sharing in the apostolic succession, this feast reminds bishops to bring greater unity among priests, religious and the laity.
Trulyeverything we do must be for the sake of unity of the parishthe local Church and the universal Church.  Authority is given to the Pope, the Bishop and his priests for the sake of unity.  Authority must always be exercised for the service of the community and never for oneself and one’s interests. Just as the task of a priest is to ensure unity in his parish, the role of the Bishop is to forge unity in the diocese.  The task of building communion is indeed a challenging task because of divergent views in almost everything.  At the end of the day, we need authority to make a decision, since consensus alone is insufficient.  Even more, we need legitimate authority to make the decision on behalf of a fragmented community.
Like the Holy Father, bishops and priests, in exercising authority, we can never act in a dictatorial manner.  Today, the emphasis is on team ministry and communal discernment.  Authority is vested on leaders not to control the people but to bring greater unity in the people of God.  It would be foolish and arrogant for us to think that we have the answer to all the questions and challenges ahead of us.  Instead, we are called to dialogue and consult those under our charge.  Without consulting them, we will not be able to win them over.  What is necessary today is that we bring everyone on board in making decisions for our community.  As Pope Emeritus Benedict tells us, we are called to be co-responsible for the mission of the Church.  The laity and our fellow priests are not merely collaborators or our servants but people who are to help us to govern the Church of God.
Indeed, today I want to thank God for the people He sent to help me in my apostolic ministry.  Truly, all this while in officewithout the help of so many priests and laity, I could not have done all that I have done.  I am most grateful to the Curia, the consultors and the senators because they have been really my great supporters and helpers.  Without their wisdom, advice and competency, I would not have been able to steer the Church this last year with just a few scratches.  I am also indebted to my staff at the Archbishop’s House, the different commissions, the Board of directors from the many organizations and parish priests.  Without their leadership and commitment, the archdiocese could not be where we are now.
But the Pope and the bishops are more than just governors or administrators; we are called to be living examples of a Good Shepherd to those under our charge.  This is perhaps the greatest challenge.  We need to imitate Jesus the Good Shepherd in dealing with those under our charge.  Whilst compassion is the key to building unity and empowering others, sometimes difficult decisions have to be taken regardless.  Being understanding, patient and not retaliating when faced with opposition is never easy.  In acting, a leader must never forget that all the sheep in the diocese have been entrusted under our care and not just some of the sheep.   Just as the Holy Father cares for the universal Church, bishops are called to care for all the People of God in their diocese.  Every parishioner under our care is important. Jesus came for the lost sheep, not just the healthy and strong.  Through our care and compassion, we are called to bring them back to Jesus.  All these must be done purely out of love and not for personal gain.
Respect for authority today cannot be imposed and cannot simply be dependent on our office.  It requires personal authority.  St Peter wrote to his fellow elders, “Be the shepherds of the flock of God that is entrusted to you: watch over it, not simply as a duty but gladly, because God wants it; not for sordid money, but because you are eager to do it. Never be a dictator over any group that is put in your charge, but be an example that the whole flock can follow. When the chief shepherd appears, you will be given the crown of unfading glory.”   Indeed, today, no one pays much respect to the institution.  Respect and obedience must be earned.   Gone are the days when someone respects you because you are holding an office.  Today, unless we show ourselves to be a true leader, no one will respect us.
Finally, like the Holy Father, bishops are called to suffer for the Church and with the Church.  Bishops wear a purple Zucchetto and purple cassock, as a symbol of the Anointed One, sharing in the shame and humility of Jesus.   Indeed, suffering is and will always be part and parcel of our ministry.  Just as Jesus suffered innocently and so did the apostles, we too must embrace the sufferings that come from the ministry patiently.   St Peter advised us, “I have something to tell your elders: I am elder myself, and a witness to the sufferings of Christ, and with you I have a share in the glory that is to be revealed.”  Indeed, as bishop, I know that suffering is part of this office.  I pray that I will have the strength to bear the crosses that come from this ministry because of misunderstandings, betrayal, slanders and wrong judgments, or opposition that comes from within and without the Church, whether due to disagreements, jealousy or otherwise.
But in carrying out our office, we can trust in Jesus who is our Good Shepherd.   Indeed, the responsorial psalm speaks to me beautifully, for I know that the Lord is my Shepherd.  “He guides me along the right path; he is true to his name. If I should walk in the valley of darkness no evil would I fear. You are there with your crook and your staff; with these you give me comfort.”  I am sure that the Lord will protect and shield us.   Knowing that I have done my best each day, I surrender the rest to the Lord.  It is His Church ultimately, and I am just His steward.  So I can rest peacefully each day because my conscience is clear as I have done what I could possibly do within the limitations I have.
For this reason, in the final analysis, I believe that our ministry must rest on our personal relationship with the Lord.  A bishop or priest who neglects his prayer life or pray in a perfunctory manner, or allows the ministry and the apostolate to take him away from prayer, will eventually lose his direction, zeal and compassion in the ministry.  Like the psalmist, we must take refuge in the Lord.  To Him, we turn for guidance, comfort and consolation.  Without a personal faith in Jesus as the Christ, the Son of the Living God, we will not be able to build our faith since it is on this rock, that of St Peter and his faith, that the Church will endure till the end of time.   We, too, must cultivate and make St Peter’s faith our own in order to be able to be faithful to the Lord in our ministry.   With St Peter’s faith in Christ, we too will persevere to the end for the glory of God, and the good of the Church.

Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment