Thursday 3 October 2024

PRIDE MAKES US BLIND TO GOD’S LOVE AND SOVEREIGNTY OVER US

20241004 PRIDE MAKES US BLIND TO GOD’S LOVE AND SOVEREIGNTY OVER US

 

First reading

Job 38:1,12-21,40:3-5

The immeasurable greatness of God

From the heart of the tempest the Lord gave Job his answer. He said:

Have you ever in your life given orders to the morning

  or sent the dawn to its post,

telling it to grasp the earth by its edges

  and shake the wicked out of it,

when it changes the earth to sealing clay

  and dyes it as a man dyes clothes;

stealing the light from wicked men

  and breaking the arm raised to strike?

Have you journeyed all the way to the sources of the sea,

  or walked where the Abyss is deepest?

Have you been shown the gates of Death

  or met the janitors of Shadowland?

Have you an inkling of the extent of the earth?

  Tell me all about it if you have!

Which is the way to the home of the light,

  and where does darkness live?

You could then show them the way to their proper places,

  or put them on the path to where they live!

If you know all this, you must have been born with them,

  you must be very old by now!

Job replied to the Lord:

My words have been frivolous: what can I reply?

  I had better lay my finger on my lips.

I have spoken once... I will not speak again;

  more than once... I will add nothing.


Responsorial Psalm

Psalm 138(139):1-3,7-10,13-14

Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.

O Lord, you search me and you know me,

  you know my resting and my rising,

  you discern my purpose from afar.

You mark when I walk or lie down,

  all my ways lie open to you.

Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.

O where can I go from your spirit,

  or where can I flee from your face?

If I climb the heavens, you are there.

  If I lie in the grave, you are there.

Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.

If I take the wings of the dawn

  and dwell at the sea’s furthest end,

even there your hand would lead me,

  your right hand would hold me fast.

Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.

For it was you who created my being,

  knit me together in my mother’s womb.

I thank you for the wonder of my being,

  for the wonders of all your creation.

Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.


Gospel Acclamation

Ps144:13

Alleluia, alleluia!

The Lord is faithful in all his words

and loving in all his deeds.

Alleluia!

Or:

Ps94:8

Alleluia, alleluia!

Harden not your hearts today,

but listen to the voice of the Lord.

Alleluia!


Gospel

Luke 10:13-16

Anyone who rejects me rejects the one who sent me

Jesus said to his disciples:

  ‘Alas for you, Chorazin! Alas for you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. And still, it will not go as hard with Tyre and Sidon at the Judgement as with you. And as for you, Capernaum, did you want to be exalted high as heaven? You shall be thrown down to hell.

  ‘Anyone who listens to you listens to me; anyone who rejects you rejects me, and those who reject me reject the one who sent me.’

 

 

04 October 2024, Friday, 26th Week in Ordinary Time

PRIDE MAKES US BLIND TO GOD’S LOVE AND SOVEREIGNTY OVER US


SCRIPTURE READINGS: [JOB 38:1,12-2140:3-5LK 10:13-16]

We all have many questions about life.  Indeed, this world is filled with mysteries and riddles.  There are many things we do not understand, especially suffering and the mystery of life and death.  But among all these, we cannot understand why innocent people have to suffer, especially through the consequences of the sins committed by other people, or simply because of the imperfections of human nature and creation.  We demand answers for all that we are going through in life because we need to make sense of our suffering.  Indeed, most of the time, people want an answer for the sufferings, tragedy, or illness they carry in their life.  Unless they are able to make sense of their suffering and pain, they will be filled with anger and bitterness.

This was the case of Job.  He was not so much angry with God for the unjust sufferings he was bearing, and the insistence of his friends that he must have broken the law, as he was anxious to understand the meaning of his sufferings.  His friends tried to help him to make sense of his suffering, first by asking him to search for his sins; and when he said he did not break any law, one of them suggested that maybe it could be his hidden sin that caused him to make God angry with them.  But he could not find any known sin that would have justified this punishment from God.  He wanted to prove that the just man had to suffer too, and it was not true that reward and happiness always await the just man, whilst punishment awaited the wicked.

In his insistence to find an answer from God, believing that he was innocent, the Lord replied not with an answer but with questions.  God challenged Job to consider the creation of the world.  “He said, “Have you ever in your life given orders to the morning or sent the dawn to its post, telling it to grasp the earth by its edges and shake the wicked out of it? Have you journeyed all the way to the sources of the sea? Have you been shown the gates of Death? Have you an inkling of the extent of the earth?”  The truth, in the final analysis, is that God is the creator.  He is in charge of creation.

We will never be able to comprehend the depth of creation, nor of God.  “Tell me all about it if you have! Which is the way to the home of light, and where does the darkness live? You could then show them the way to their proper places, or put them on the path to where they live! If you know all this, you must have been born with them, you must be very old by now!” Everything is under the authority of God.  Our minds will never be able to contemplate His creation.  God’s questions show that none of us, including Job, would be able to understand the mysteries of God’s creation.  At the same time, we can be assured that God is in charge and He has a tender love and care for the entire creation.   This is why we must let God be God; and not question His works and His plan.

Instead of lamenting and complaining about our misfortunes and the things that make us sad, we should recognize the miracles God has worked in our lives, in small and big ways.  Indeed, the fact that we are still alive and have reached and attained many of our goals itself is a testimony of the grace of God at work in us.  Indeed, looking at the events of our past, we should be amazed at how the Lord had helped us to overcome each one as it came along, and how He had sent us friends and opportunities to deal with our trials and struggles in life.  Alas we are blind, like the inhabitants in Chorazin and Bethsaida.  The Lord said, “For if the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.  And still, it would not go as hard with Tyre and Sidon, at the judgement as with you.”  They were blind to the miracles.

Then again, some of us might ask, why are others more blessed than me?  Why do they seem to have better things and opportunities than me?  The same question could also have been asked by the people in Tyre and Sidon, the pagan towns.  If the Lord had performed more miracles there, more people would have been converted. Instead, the Lord wasted His time performing miracles and teaching in Capernaum where the people took Him for granted and did not repent.  The answer is the same, it is not for us to question the wisdom and divine plan of God.  He has reasons that we cannot understand.  What is considered blessed for us might be a source of temptation and destruction for others.  Indeed, riches and power can be a blessing or a curse.  It is how we use them.  For those who allow riches to make them feel self-sufficient or become attached to them, wanting to have more and more and use their wealth only for themselves, and unable to let go, they would not be able to enjoy the freedom of the Kingdom of God, which is one of loving, caring and sharing. 

We should be grateful for our being and the wonders of God’s creation.  We are all objects of God’s mercy and divine providence.  God knows us more than we know ourselves.  The psalmist says, “O Lord, you search me and you know me, you know my resting and my rising, you discern my purpose from afar. You mark when I walk or lie down, all my ways lie open to you.  O where can I go from your spirit, or where can I flee from your face? If I climb the heavens, you are there.  If I lie in the grave, you are there.  If I take the wings of the dawn and dwell at the sea’s furthest end, even there your hand would lead me, your right hand would hold me fast. For it was you who created my being, knit me together in my mother’s womb. I thank you for the wonder of my being, for the wonders of all your creation.”  Indeed, there are more things to thank God for in our lives, and more reasons for us to be happy and grateful than to always feel that others are better off than us and that we do not have what they have.

This is why we must trust Him and surrender our lives to Him as Job did after the long ordeal.  When God challenged him, he came to realize his finiteness and limitations.  His reply to the Lord was one of humility and a deep recognition of his self-righteousness. “My words have been frivolous: what can I reply? I had better lay my finger on my lips. I have spoken once…I will not speak again; more than once…I will add nothing.”  Indeed, we must remain humble when it comes to answering the questions of life.  We do not know everything and so we should put our trust in Him, believing that His divine plan for us is always the best, instead of challenging God.  We must not fall into the pride of the people in Capernaum.  The Lord said, “And as for you, Capernaum, did you want to be exalted high as heaven? You shall be thrown down to hell.”  We must never become arrogant or think so highly of ourselves.

We should allow ourselves to be instruments of God’s mercy and grace.  The Lord said, “Anyone who listens to you listens to me; anyone who rejects you rejects me, and those who reject me reject the one who sent me.”  We must listen to the voice of the Lord that comes through His Church and our pastors.  God wants us to listen to Him through the scriptures so that we will be able to surrender our lives to Him in faith and trust.  The Lord is inviting us to repent and to surrender our lives in humility, cooperating with His grace and living a contented life, believing that whatever is given to us, is all we need for our happiness and salvation.  Anything more comes from the evil one.  We should be contented with our lot in life.  Happiness is where we find it and it is not determined by how much possessions we have or positions we hold.  

Let us be inspired by Job who was a man of faith in God, rendering Him unwavering devotion even when he was stricken with misfortune, disease and rejection.  He lost everything in his life and he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return there; the Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”  (Job 1:21)  Let us also learn from him that life is a mystery and only God knows best.  It is not always true that the good will always be rewarded and the bad are punished.  The cross of our Lord is the best answer to the mystery of suffering, life and death.  We must surrender our plans to God and He will show us that He is always faithful and reliable.


Written by His Eminence, Cardinal William SC Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment