Saturday 23 May 2015

20150521 COMMUNION AS THE FOUNDATION FOR WITNESSING

20150521 COMMUNION AS THE FOUNDATION FOR WITNESSING
Readings at Mass

First reading
Acts 22:30,23:6-11 ©
Since the tribune wanted to know what precise charge the Jews were bringing, he freed Paul and gave orders for a meeting of the chief priests and the entire Sanhedrin; then he brought Paul down and stood him in front of them. Now Paul was well aware that one section was made up of Sadducees and the other of Pharisees, so he called out in the Sanhedrin, ‘Brothers, I am a Pharisee and the son of Pharisees. It is for our hope in the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial.’ As soon as he said this a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and Sadducees, and the assembly was split between the two parties. For the Sadducees say there is neither resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit, while the Pharisees accept all three. The shouting grew louder, and some of the scribes from the Pharisees’ party stood up and protested strongly, ‘We find nothing wrong with this man. Suppose a spirit has spoken to him, or an angel?’ Feeling was running high, and the tribune, afraid that they would tear Paul to pieces, ordered his troops to go down and haul him out and bring him into the fortress.
  Next night, the Lord appeared to him and said, ‘Courage! You have borne witness for me in Jerusalem, now you must do the same in Rome.’

Psalm
Psalm 15:1-2,5,7-11 ©
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
Preserve me, God, I take refuge in you.
  I say to the Lord: ‘You are my God.
O Lord, it is you who are my portion and cup;
  it is you yourself who are my prize.’
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel,
  who even at night directs my heart.
I keep the Lord ever in my sight:
  since he is at my right hand, I shall stand firm.
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
And so my heart rejoices, my soul is glad;
  even my body shall rest in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead,
  nor let your beloved know decay.
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
You will show me the path of life,
  the fullness of joy in your presence,
  at your right hand happiness for ever.
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Jn16:7,13
Alleluia, alleluia!
I will send you the Spirit of truth, says the Lord;
he will lead you to the complete truth.
Alleluia!
Or
Jn17:21
Alleluia, alleluia!
With them in you and you in me,
may they be so completely one
that the world will realise that it was you who sent me,
says the Lord.
Alleluia!

Gospel
John 17:20-26 ©
Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said:
‘Holy Father,
I pray not only for these,
but for those also
who through their words will believe in me.
May they all be one.
Father, may they be one in us,
as you are in me and I am in you,
so that the world may believe it was you who sent me.
I have given them the glory you gave to me,
that they may be one as we are one.
With me in them and you in me,
may they be so completely one
that the world will realise that it was you who sent me
and that I have loved them as much as you loved me.
Father, I want those you have given me
to be with me where I am,
so that they may always see the glory you have given me
because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Father, Righteous One,
the world has not known you,
but I have known you,
and these have known that you have sent me.
I have made your name known to them
and will continue to make it known,
so that the love with which you loved me may be in them,
and so that I may be in them.’

COMMUNION AS THE FOUNDATION FOR WITNESSING


SCRIPTURE READINGS: ACTS 22:30; 23:6-11; John 17:20-26
We are called, since the beginning of time, to reveal the love of God to the world and to let them share in the glory of God.  “For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will -to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.” (Eph 1:4-6)
What is this glory?  This glory is to share in the communion of love between the Father and the Son.  This was the prayer of Jesus for us all before His death.  He said, “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, so that they may always see the glory you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.”   What a great privilege to share in the intimate love between the Father and the Son.  Isn’t this the wish of every child too?  The child, being the fruit of the parents’ love, naturally desires to bask in the love that daddy and mommy have for each other.  In placing himself as the center of that love between the father and mother, the child feels secure in love.  Conversely, when we find love, we want to share our excitement first and foremost with those whom we love most.  We want our loved ones to also share the joy and love we have discovered.  So parents too want to share their love with their children.  This is the desire of the Heavenly Father and our Lord Jesus.  Their joy is to share with us the love they have for each other. “I have made your name known to them and will continue to make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them, and so that I may be in them.”
The consequence of sharing the Father’s love is that we also become like Him.  By sharing the Father’s love for the Son, we too become one with the Father and the Son.  This was what Jesus prayed.  “May they all be one. Father, may they be one in us, as you are in me and I am in you.”  It is their joy to include us all in their love for each other.
But how can we share in their love?  This is possible if we know who Jesus is, namely, as the Son of the Father.  Without faith in Him as the Son who was sent by the Father, we cannot share in that communion. Unless Jesus is the Eternal Son of the Father, we would never appreciate the nature of God as love. But through Jesus’ utter love for His Father and the Father’s faithfulness to the Son, we come to appreciate the depth of the love of God not just for the world but in their inner life.  Hence, Jesus prayed, “Holy Father, I pray not only for these, but for those also who through their words will believe in me.”
Truly, if Jesus so urgently wanted the world to know His Father, it was because He encountered Him as nothing less than love itself.  The truth is that many people today do not know the Father.  Even Catholics and Christians do not know Him as the God who loves us.  Many are turning to an impersonal form of prayer that reduces God to a force, a breath or an impersonal reality.  Otherwise, some think that God is a punishing God, one who is like a heavenly supervisor, the heavenly spy and judge waiting to pick at our faults and condemn us to hell.  This is not surprising since Jesus Himself said, “Father, Righteous One, the world has not known you, but I have known you, and these have known that you sent me.”  Indeed, the whole purpose of Jesus’ coming is to reveal to us
that God is a personal God who relates with us as our Heavenly Father and that we can be intimate with Him in a personal relationship, just as Jesus did with His Father, a relationship of mutual knowing and mutual willing, of one heart and one mind.
We too are called to reveal and share the Father’s love with the world.  When we have experienced His love, we too will want to love the world for the world.  Just as married couples do not just keep their love for themselves but pour this love in them into the world, we too must do the same.  Indeed, the individualistic mentality of reducing marriage to mere companionship has destroyed the very foundation of marriage, which is procreation.  This primary property of marriage is more than just having children, but it is the very openness to share one’s love with someone else.  It underscores the fact that true love leads to a sharing of that love with others.  The fruit of love is love itself.  Love begets love.  Selfishness and insecurity will destroy that love.  Those who are possessive of their friends or their beloved will eventually lose them as any love that is not poured out into the world will die, since that love is not empowered.
St Paul, like Jesus, wanted to share the Father’s love with all.  St Paul came to appreciate the Father’s love through His encounter with the Lord.  Once forgiven and healed, he preached the gospel of God’s love in Christ fearlessly and tirelessly.  Earlier on, he was brought before the Tribunal, and before he could even be tried, St Paul caused the entire Sanhedrin to be divided over the issue of the resurrection.  This was because “the Sadducees say there is neither resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit, while the Pharisees accept all three.” As a result, they got heated up, arguing among themselves as “some of the scribes from the Pharisees’ party stood up and protested strongly.”  Before he could even rest, we read that the Lord appeared to Paul and said, “Courage! You have borne witness for me in Jerusalem, now you must do the same in Rome.”
What, then, is the basis for the work of evangelization and the mission of the gospel?  The most important criterion is unity.  Without communion with each other, we cannot be effective in our mission.  That is why Jesus foresaw the inevitable differences that the disciples would have with each other.  When such differences lead to division, then it would make the gospel message less credible, since the Christian message is the love of God in us and our union with each other in the Holy Spirit.  “Father, may they be one in us, as you are in me and I am in you, so that the world may believe it was you who sent me.”  Communion with Jesus is the basis for witnessing.  Only through communion with Jesus can we then be in communion with each other.  St John wrote, “We write this to make our joy complete. With me in them and you in me, may they be so completely one that the world will realise that it was you who sent me and that I have loved them as much as you loved me.” (1 Jn 1:1-4)
Our union with each other must be grounded in our unity with Jesus.  And it is only in this communion that we can draw others into communion with us and the Father. “We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.”  Division will destroy us. This was what happened when St Paul capitalized on the sensitive theological disagreement between the Pharisees and the Sadducees to bring them into conflict.  St Paul deliberately even addressed the Pharisees as brother.  He put himself as the innocent party, saying, “Brothers, I am a Pharisees and the son of Pharisees. It is for our hope in the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial.”  However, this unity is more than doctrinal but concrete and personal, expressed in acts of love.  The way of love is that of the Son who emptied Himself at the incarnation, lowering Himself even further by being humbled by man, taunted by the soldiers at His passion.  We too must act out this love that God has given to us.
Let us not forget our Christian dignity.  Let us be conscious of our identity as the sons and daughters of God; and our mission of proclaiming God’s love as the love of the Father and Son in their divine majesty. By reminding ourselves that we are God’s children, we will begin to live the life of God, starting slowly and then fully submerging in God’s everlasting love and life.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh
Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore

© All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment