Monday 23 January 2017

THE PERFECT SACRIFICE FOR SIN

20170124 THE PERFECT SACRIFICE FOR SIN

Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: White.

First reading
Hebrews 10:1-10 ©
Since the Law has no more than a reflection of these realities, and no finished picture of them, it is quite incapable of bringing the worshippers to perfection, with the same sacrifices repeatedly offered year after year. Otherwise, the offering of them would have stopped, because the worshippers, when they had been purified once, would have no awareness of sins. Instead of that, the sins are recalled year after year in the sacrifices. Bulls’ blood and goats’ blood are useless for taking away sins, and this is what he said, on coming into the world:
You who wanted no sacrifice or oblation,
prepared a body for me.
You took no pleasure in holocausts or sacrifices for sin;
then I said,
just as I was commanded in the scroll of the book,
‘God, here I am! I am coming to obey your will.’
Notice that he says first: You did not want what the Law lays down as the things to be offered, that is: the sacrifices, the oblations, the holocausts and the sacrifices for sin, and you took no pleasure in them; and then he says: Here I am! I am coming to obey your will. He is abolishing the first sort to replace it with the second. And this will was for us to be made holy by the offering of his body made once and for all by Jesus Christ.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 39(40):2,4,7-8,10,11 ©
Here I am, Lord! I come to do your will.
I waited, I waited for the Lord
  and he stooped down to me;
  he heard my cry.
He put a new song into my mouth,
  praise of our God.
Here I am, Lord! I come to do your will.
You do not ask for sacrifice and offerings,
  but an open ear.
You do not ask for holocaust and victim.
  Instead, here am I.
Here I am, Lord! I come to do your will.
Your justice I have proclaimed
  in the great assembly.
My lips I have not sealed;
  you know it, O Lord.
Here I am, Lord! I come to do your will.
I have not hidden your justice in my heart
  but declared your faithful help.
I have not hidden your love and your truth
  from the great assembly.
Here I am, Lord! I come to do your will.

Gospel Acclamation
Ps118:135
Alleluia, alleluia!
Let your face shine on your servant,
and teach me your decrees.
Alleluia!
Or
Mt11:25
Alleluia, alleluia!
Blessed are you, Father,
Lord of heaven and earth,
for revealing the mysteries of the kingdom
to mere children.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Mark 3:31-35 ©
The mother and brothers of Jesus arrived and, standing outside, sent in a message asking for him. A crowd was sitting round him at the time the message was passed to him, ‘Your mother and brothers and sisters are outside asking for you.’ He replied, ‘Who are my mother and my brothers?’ And looking round at those sitting in a circle about him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of God, that person is my brother and sister and mother.’

THE PERFECT SACRIFICE FOR SIN


SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ HEB 10:1-10; PS 39:2,4,7-8,10,11; MK 3:31-35 ]
What must we do so that we can be redeemed perfect and be freed from the clutch of sin completely?  In ancient times and even among some religions today, the way to be saved from our sins and the wrath of God or the punishment of the deities is to offer sacrifices in atonement for our sins.  The idea behind the offering of sacrifices is to appease God for having offended Him.  This is the mentality of fear.  Very often, when something bad happens to people, the immediate thought is that God must be punishing them for their wrongdoings.  God is seen as someone who cannot tolerate disobedience and will take revenge upon sinners.
Such a concept of God is alien to Jesus and the New Testament.  God is all mercy, love and compassion.  He does not punish us for our sins.  Rather, what we see as punishment is simply the effects of our wrong doing.  What we sow is what we reap.  As St Paul reminds us, “For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption; but he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.”  (Gal 6:8)  On the contrary, God who is so merciful comes to take away our sins, not by providing holocausts but the life of His only begotten Son.  We are to be “made holy by the offering of his body made once and for all by Jesus Christ.”   In the death of Jesus, our sins are forgiven.
This explains why the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross for us supersedes all other forms of sacrifice.  With the death of Jesus, we know for certain that God has not held any anger against us.  He has forgiven us completely in Christ through His passion, death and resurrection.  Contemplating on Christ’s passion and especially His last words on the cross, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they are doing”, we are assured that His prayers for our forgiveness is heard.  So the sacrifice of Jesus is not so much for His Father but for us sinners so that we can come to appreciate the immeasurable and infinite love of the Father for us in surrendering His own Son to the cruelty and injustices of men.
Does it mean that all the sacrifices that have been made, and are still being made are useless?  Of course not!  It is true that “bulls’ blood and goats’ blood are useless for taking away sins”; nevertheless, it still has a utilitarian function in expressing the desire for repentance and conversion.  It remains a pale reflection as what the author of Hebrews says, “Since the Law has no more than a reflection of these realities, and no finished picture of them, it is quite incapable of bringing the worshippers to perfection, with the same sacrifices repeatedly offered year after year.”  That is why we still offer sacrifices, not just the Eucharist, which of course for us is the reenactment of the paschal mystery, a memorial which brings about the real presence of Christ.  We also exhort our people to practice mortification, fasting, do penance and almsgiving, help the poor and the sick, and to pray as means by which they show their sincerity in giving up sins and making amends to their sinful life. Yet all these sacrifices that we perform remain but a token expression of our desire to change and a symbolic way of showing our love and devotion to God and His people.
In the final analysis, the perfect sacrifice is the offering of oneself, like Jesus on the cross. This is the perfect sacrifice that sums up and gathers all the other sacrifices that we offer to the Lord.  This was the way our Lord offered Himself to His Father and to us all.  He offered Himself entirely, body and soul to His Father by His death on the cross.  The real sacrifice of Jesus was not simply on the cross but His entire life, beginning from the self-emptying of His divinity at the Incarnation, to His earthly life in Nazareth, learning from Mary and Joseph, followed by His untiring devotion to His ministry, and finally to being put to death on the cross.
More fundamental than just offering one’s body to God and His people, what makes the sacrifice perfect is when we do it according to His holy will.  St Paul writing to the Corinthians remarked, “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.”  (1 Cor 13:1-3)  So it is not enough to offer our body and do lots of things for God and for His people unless we do it out of love for God.  Many people give money to charity and to the Church but they do it not out of love but out of guilt, or honour or glory or with an expectation of gain.
Doing His will is the basic principle and the way to overcome all sins.  Both scripture readings today underscore this truth.  What God wants of us is to do what He commands us so that we can fit into His divine plan of salvation for the rest of humanity.  The Word of God says, “You who wanted no sacrifice or oblation, prepared a body for me. You took no pleasure in holocausts or sacrifices for sin; then I said, just as I was commanded in the scroll of the book, ‘God, here I am! I am coming to obey your will.’”   In the gospel, Jesus stated emphatically, putting biological relationship second to the obedience of God’s will when He remarked, “‘Who are my mother and my brothers?’ And looking round at those sitting in a circle about him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of God, that person is my brother and sister and mother.’”
True kinship with God and with our Lord is not a biological relationship but in sharing the mind and heart of His Father as Jesus did.  When we think and act like God in mercy and compassion, then we can be said to be God’s children and His brother and sister.   And because it was His will that the Son died for us to show His love for us, Jesus willingly submitted to God’s will.  The author wrote, “And this will was for us to be made holy by the offering of his body made once and for all by Jesus Christ.”  Like the psalmist we too must therefore pray and ask that we do His will.  “You do not ask for sacrifice and offerings, but an open ear. You do not ask for holocaust and victim.  Instead, Here I am, Lord!  I come to do your will.”
Having established this simple principle, the more difficult challenge is to discern what the will of God is.  This is the complex part of the process of discovering God’s will for us, especially in the light of today’s information overload.  There are so many views and so many perspectives that even religious leaders cannot agree among themselves which is the right approach or moral principle.  We are confused and paralyzed by the plethora of choices.   This is where each one of us must take the Word of God seriously.  If we say that the bible in divinely inspired with God as the author, then let us, as St Paul exhorts us, take the Word of God as it really is.  “And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.”  (1 Th 1:13)  This is what the psalmist asks of us as well.  We need to pray and discern.  “I waited, I waited for the Lord and he stooped down to me; he heard my cry.  He put a new song into my mouth, praise of our God. You do not ask for sacrifice and offerings, but an open ear. You do not ask for holocaust and victim.  Instead, here am I.”  With an open ear, a listening heart and with patience, we must search for His divine will for us.
Once we know His will, then let us like Jesus, spare no effort to do what He commands of us.  With confidence and conviction, we too must say, “God, here I am! I am coming to obey your will.”  Concretely, it means proclaiming His truth and His justice by word and deed.  “Your justice I have proclaimed in the great assembly. My lips I have not sealed; you know it, O Lord.  I have not hidden your justice in my heart but declared your faithful help. I have not hidden your love and your truth from the great assembly.”  Let us not be outside the circle of discipleship, as were Jesus’ relatives, but within His circle by doing His will.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment