Sunday 4 November 2018

JOY IN MINISTRY

20181103 JOY IN MINISTRY


03 NOVEMBER, 2018, Saturday, 30th Week, Ordinary Time
Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Green.

First reading
Philippians 1:18-26 ©

Life to me is Christ; but death would bring me more
Christ is proclaimed; and that makes me happy; and I shall continue being happy, because I know this will help to save me, thanks to your prayers and to the help which will be given to me by the Spirit of Jesus. My one hope and trust is that I shall never have to admit defeat, but that now as always I shall have the courage for Christ to be glorified in my body, whether by my life or by my death. Life to me, of course, is Christ, but then death would bring me something more; but then again, if living in this body means doing work which is having good results – I do not know what I should choose. I am caught in this dilemma: I want to be gone and be with Christ, which would be very much the better, but for me to stay alive in this body is a more urgent need for your sake. This weighs with me so much that I feel sure I shall survive and stay with you all, and help you to progress in the faith and even increase your joy in it; and so you will have another reason to give praise to Christ Jesus on my account when I am with you again.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 41(42):2-3,5 ©
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.
Like the deer that yearns
  for running streams,
so my soul is yearning
  for you, my God.
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.
My soul is thirsting for God,
  the God of my life;
when can I enter and see
  the face of God?
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.
I would lead the rejoicing crowd
  into the house of God,
amid cries of gladness and thanksgiving.
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Col3:16a,17
Alleluia, alleluia!
Let the message of Christ, in all its richness,
find a home with you;
through him give thanks to God the Father.
Alleluia!
Or:
Mt11:29
Alleluia, alleluia!
Shoulder my yoke and learn from me,
says the Lord,
for I am gentle and humble in heart.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Luke 14:1,7-11 ©

Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled
Now on a sabbath day Jesus had gone for a meal to the house of one of the leading Pharisees; and they watched him closely. He then told the guests a parable, because he had noticed how they picked the places of honour. He said this, ‘When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take your seat in the place of honour. A more distinguished person than you may have been invited, and the person who invited you both may come and say, “Give up your place to this man.” And then, to your embarrassment, you would have to go and take the lowest place. No; when you are a guest, make your way to the lowest place and sit there, so that, when your host comes, he may say, “My friend, move up higher.” In that way, everyone with you at the table will see you honoured. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted.’


JOY IN MINISTRY

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ PHIL 1:18-26PS 42:2-35LK 14:17-11 ]
Many of us want to serve Christ and His people, but for various reasons.  Some do so because they experienced His love for them. This is particularly so after a Christ-encounter.  Having fallen in love with Christ and tasted the joy of loving Him, we want to share our joy with others so that they too could enter into the same fellowship we have with our Father.  (cf 1 Jn 1:1-3) Others serve in the ministry because they are convinced of their obligation as Christians to proclaim the Good News.  Like St Paul, they say, “If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe to me if I do not proclaim the gospel!”  (1 Cor 9:16)  Yet others do so because of their love for the people.  St Paul wrote to the Philippians, “I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you.”
But many lose steam and enthusiasm along the way because they serve with spiritual worldliness. Frustrated and disillusioned with the way things are happening, they give up simply because things are not evolving the way they think it should.  They cannot get along with their leaders and fellow members.   Some, although claiming to work for Christ, are not finding fulfillment because they did not get to do the job they like, or the ministry they want to serve in.  Then there are others whose ego is bruised because their plans are not adopted by the community.  For some, they are scandalized by the sins of the community.  They cannot tolerate weaknesses in the Christian community.  They are judgmental and feel that others are hypocritical in their service to the community.  So, they despise such leaders and members in their hearts.  Finally, some leave the ministry because they do not feel appreciated or recognized, or simply because they are not in control. They want position, recognition, power and influence.
But when we look at Paul’s ministry, he never gave up even though he faced obstacles throughout his apostolate.  He faced opposition from within and without.  From within, he was often misunderstood and opposed.  Some members slandered him and accused him of not being faithful to the gospel.  There were false teachers and false teachings that he had to contend with.  From outside, the Jews and the Romans found him to be a potential trouble maker.  Indeed, the letter addressed to the Philippians was written whilst he was in prison awaiting his trial.  Yet he wrote a letter of joy and encouragement, filled with gratitude and hope.   He was never discouraged or bitter with God, life or others.  He took everything, sufferings and success, in stride.  He was never complaining but always contented wherever he was.  In fact, later he wrote, “I have learned to be content with whatever I have.  I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need.”  (Phil 4:11f)
What was his secret?  He was singular minded. He was focused in his mission.  His sole desire and mission was to proclaim the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ and to make Him known to all.  He wrote, “Although I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ, and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.”  (Eph 3:8-10)  Indeed, the whole life of St Paul after his conversion was to make known to all, Christ who is the mystery of God and the Saviour of all.  He lived for the gospel and he died for the gospel.  This was the singular mindedness of St Paul.  It was this mission that kept him going each day to live for the Lord.
So passionate was his desire for the gospel to be spread that it was immaterial who spread the gospel, but simply that the gospel was proclaimed to all.  When the Corinthians were fighting over their leaders, he wrote to them, “What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each.  I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.  So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.  The one who plants and the one who waters have a common purpose, and each will receive wages according to the labor of each.  For we are God’s servants, working together; you are God’s field, God’s building.”  (1 Cor 3:5-9)  And even when those who served the Lord with impure or not so noble motives, St Paul said, “What does it matter? Just this, that Christ is proclaimed in every way, whether out of false motives or true; and in that I rejoice.”  St Paul could even accept those who served with the wrong reasons, unlike us who are judgmental and critical of people’s motives in service.
No one and no circumstance could prevent St Paul from proclaiming the gospel.  He was a man who never gave up in the face of trials and opposition to the gospel.  He would find new resources and other means to proclaim the gospel in and out of season.  As he advised Timothy, “Proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favorable or unfavorable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching.”  (2 Tim 4:2)  So even when he was in prison, he did not lament his fate but used the opportunity and time to spread the gospel to the Romans.  And even when he finally faced the prospect of death, he was ready to die for Christ.  He said, “It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death.”  e He
How could he be so focused in his mission if not for his passion for Christ?  His passion for the gospel was the consequence of his passion for the Lord.  For St Paul, he lived only for Christ and His people.   Life or death did not matter so long as he was with Christ.  He said, “For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you.”  So the only hope and desire for St Paul was to be with Christ in everything, doing His holy will, sharing the gospel and being united with Him in love and joy.
Secondly, he could continue to remain focused in his ministry because he saw everything from a divine perspective, through the eyes of our Lord, in faith and in trust.  He trusted in God’s plan and the work of the Spirit in him and in all the situations.  He knew that God’s Spirit would work in and through him regardless of the situation because as he said, “we know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.”  (Rom 8:28)  He was always positive in outlook because of his faith in Christ.
That is what the Lord Jesus is asking of us in today’s gospel.  We must be humble and be disposed to His grace.  Our focus should not be on honor, glory and status like the rest of the world.  That is why we should not be choosing our seats in life.  This was what the Lord told His disciples.  “You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”  (Mt 20:23)  It is not passion that divides us but ambition.  St James warned us that such ambition destroy the community and make us our passion for the mission.  “But if you have bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not be boastful and false to the truth. Such wisdom does not come down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, devilish. For where there is envy and selfish ambition, there will also be disorder and wickedness of every kind.”  (Jms 3:14-16)  With St Paul, we must only have passion for Christ and the gospel.  As to success and honor, we should not even be thinking of them.  Let the Lord assign us the place where He deems fit.  We do not choose our place in life because we are ignorant and blinded by our pride. We will only find ourselves a misfit and suffer humiliation like the guests in the gospel.
Rather, let us follow Jesus in choosing what is truly good and noble.  In St Luke’s understanding, there is this eschatological reverse in Jesus’ message. “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted.”  What man thinks is of value, in God’s kingdom, such things have no value.  What is of true value?  St James says, “The wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace for those who make peace.”  Let us remember the advice of St Teresa of Calcutta, the Lord wants us to be faithful, not successful.

Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment