Thursday 27 June 2019

COMPASSION AS THE HEART OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD

20190628 COMPASSION AS THE HEART OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD


28 JUNE, 2019, Friday, The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: White.

First reading
Ezekiel 34:11-16 ©

I will look after my flock myself and keep all of it in view
The Lord God says this: I am going to look after my flock myself and keep all of it in view. As a shepherd keeps all his flock in view when he stands up in the middle of his scattered sheep, so shall I keep my sheep in view. I shall rescue them from wherever they have been scattered during the mist and darkness. I shall bring them out of the countries where they are; I shall gather them together from foreign countries and bring them back to their own land. I shall pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in every inhabited place in the land. I shall feed them in good pasturage; the high mountains of Israel will be their grazing ground. There they will rest in good grazing ground; they will browse in rich pastures on the mountains of Israel. I myself will pasture my sheep, I myself will show them where to rest – it is the Lord who speaks. I shall look for the lost one, bring back the stray, bandage the wounded and make the weak strong. I shall watch over the fat and healthy. I shall be a true shepherd to them.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 22(23) ©
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
The Lord is my shepherd;
  there is nothing I shall want.
Fresh and green are the pastures
  where he gives me repose.
Near restful waters he leads me,
  to revive my drooping spirit.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
He guides me along the right path;
  he is true to his name.
If I should walk in the valley of darkness
  no evil would I fear.
You are there with your crook and your staff;
  with these you give me comfort.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
You have prepared a banquet for me
  in the sight of my foes.
My head you have anointed with oil;
  my cup is overflowing.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.
Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me
  all the days of my life.
In the Lord’s own house shall I dwell
  for ever and ever.
The Lord is my shepherd: there is nothing I shall want.

Second reading
Romans 5:5-11 ©

Now we have been reconciled by the death of his Son, surely we may count on being saved by the life of his Son
The love of God has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit which has been given us. We were still helpless when at his appointed moment Christ died for sinful men. It is not easy to die even for a good man – though of course for someone really worthy, a man might be prepared to die – but what proves that God loves us is that Christ died for us while we were still sinners. Having died to make us righteous, is it likely that he would now fail to save us from God’s anger? When we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, we were still enemies; now that we have been reconciled, surely we may count on being saved by the life of his Son? Not merely because we have been reconciled but because we are filled with joyful trust in God, through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have already gained our reconciliation.

Gospel Acclamation
Mt11:29
Alleluia, alleluia!
Shoulder my yoke and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart.
Alleluia!
Or:
Jn10:14
Alleluia, alleluia!
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord;
I know my own sheep and my own know me.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Luke 15:3-7 ©

There will be rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner
Jesus spoke this parable to the scribes and Pharisees:
  ‘What man among you with a hundred sheep, losing one, would not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the missing one till he found it? And when he found it, would he not joyfully take it on his shoulders and then, when he got home, call together his friends and neighbours? “Rejoice with me,” he would say “I have found my sheep that was lost.” In the same way, I tell you, there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner than over ninety-nine virtuous men who have no need of repentance.’


COMPASSION AS THE HEART OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [Ez 34:11-16Ps 23:1-6Rom 5:5-11Lk 15:3  ]
What does it take for us to reach out to the wounded, the lost, the broken, the forlorn, the downhearted and the sinner?  Only this, a heart of compassion!  What is compassion? How does one have a heart of compassion?  The word “compassion” means that we must be able to share the passion with someone who is suffering and someone whom we love.  Otherwise, we will not be able to identify with the person and come to the help of that person who is suffering in whichever way.   If people lack compassion for the poor and the suffering or when people take revenge and refuse to forgive their enemies and those who have hurt them, it is because they are not feeling with them.  They only feel for themselves.  St Teresa of Calcutta says, “If you judge, you have no time to love them.”
This explains why parents, especially mothers, are born with a heart of compassion.  Mothers are the exemplars of what compassion entails.  The love of a mother is described as a womb-love, a love that comes from a very special, intense and close association with the child in her womb.  A mother always worries for her children.  She is overly protective of them, anxious over what they do, whether they have eaten, whether they are studying well, whether they get back home every evening, whether they are safe, whether they are fulfilled and happy in their career, whether they are able to find a good partner in marriage, whether their grandchildren are well raised, etc.  Endless worries of a mother unto death.
Indeed, parents will stand by their children even when they are wrong. So when their children are hurt because of an accident, a misunderstanding with someone, disagreement, bullied or injured, and even if they run foul of the law, they will still give them their support.  It is not a matter of who is right or wrong.  It does not matter.  All it matters is that their sons or daughters or their loved ones are hurting and so they are hurting too.   This is the love of mothers.  Because of their love for them, they always forgive, regardless of the many mistakes they had made, and even when they are selfish, self-centered and incorrigible.  Mothers will always love them, feel with them, cry for them, hoping that they will come to their senses and ever ready to welcome them back when they return.  They can be drug addicts, gangsters, addicted gamblers and failures in life.   That is why all mothers love their children even if they are mentally and physically challenged.  In fact, they care even more for them because they are weak and need more help and attention.
If you are a parent, or if you have loved someone as much as a mother loves her child, then we will understand a little of the compassion of God.  God’s compassion is even more intense and deeper than that of a mother’s! The Israelites in exile lamented, “The Lord has forsaken me   my Lord has forgotten me.”  What was the reply of God? “Can a woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me.”  (Isa 49:14-16)  God loves us with such compassion that He feels for us and with us.  He understands our misery, our pains and our anxieties.  He feels indignant when we are hurt, injured, hungry and oppressed.  He comes for the lost sheep as we read in the gospel.  He asked, “What man among you with a hundred sheep, losing one, would not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the missing one till he found it? And when he found it, would he not joyfully take it on his shoulders and then, when he got home, call together his friends and neighbours? ‘Rejoice with me,’ he would say ‘I have found my sheep that was lost.’ In the same way, I tell you, there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner than over ninety-nine virtuous men who have no need of repentance.'”  Indeed, every sheep that is lost and found brings great joy to God.
So great is His love for us that He wants us to feel and know His love that He became man in Christ Jesus. In assuming our humanity, Jesus identifies with us in every way.  He suffered and was tempted like all of us.  He was hungry.  He was misunderstood by His relatives and of course, His critics and enemies.  He was rejected by those whom He loved and served.  He was betrayed by His closest friends and disciples who denied Him, sold Him to His enemies and abandoned Him when He was in agony in the Garden and when He was arrested.  He was alone with a few women when He hung on the cross.  That is why we know that God feels with us in our sorrows.   He was the suffering servant of Isaiah. “He was despised and rejected by others; a man of suffering and acquainted with infirmity; and as one from whom others hide their faces. He was despised, and we held him of no account. Surely he has borne our infirmities and carried our diseases; yet we accounted him stricken, struck down by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have all turned to our own way, and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.”  (Isa 53:3-6)  Indeed, Jesus carried our sufferings and infirmities.  He is not alien to human sorrows, pains and our struggles.
Indeed, the heart and compassion of God go out to all, even for sinners.  For most of us, we only feel with those who are close to us and whom we love and share our life with.  God even shares the pains and sufferings of the wicked and the sinners.  St Paul wrote, “We were still helpless when at his appointed moment Christ died for sinful men. It is not easy to die even for a good man – though of course for someone really worthy, a man might be prepared to die – but what proves that God loves us is that Christ died for us while we were still sinners.”  No one is excluded from the love, forgiveness and compassion of God.  Because Christ could feel with the sinners, He had nothing but empathy, forgiveness and compassion.  He does not judge us for that is what the Lord will say to His Father when we die.  “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.”  (Lk 23:34)
No one is excluded from the love, forgiveness and compassion of God.  Because Christ could feel with the sinners, He had nothing but empathy, forgiveness and compassion.  He does not judge us St Paul said, “Having died to make us righteous, is it likely that he would now fail to save us from God’s anger? When we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, we were still enemies; now that we have been reconciled, surely we may count on being saved by the life of his Son? Not merely because we have been reconciled but because we are filled with joyful trust in God, through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have already gained our reconciliation.”  He is searching and waiting for us to come home.  No sinner, therefore, need ever condemn himself because Christ condemns no one.  If ever anyone condemns us, it is the devil and ourselves and the world.  But God wants us to be saved, to be forgiven and loved no matter how great a sinner we may be.  The return of the lost sheep gives Him great joy because He loves us.
But He is not just looking for the lost sheep; He also wants to tend to the weak, injured, wounded and downtrodden as well.  This is what the prophet Ezekiel says, “I myself will pasture my sheep; I myself will show them where to rest – it is the Lord who speaks. I shall look for the lost one, bring back the stray, bandage the wounded and make the weak strong. I shall watch over the fat and healthy. I shall be a true shepherd to them.”  It is His desire to lead us to the green pasture.  He wants to give us real security, rest, fulfillment and fullness of life with Him.  As the responsorial psalm says, “Fresh and green are the pastures where he gives me repose. Near restful waters he leads me, to revive my drooping spirit.  He guides me along the right path; he is true to his name. If I should walk in the valley of darkness no evil would I fear. You are there with your crook and your staff; with these you give me comfort.  You have prepared a banquet for me in the sight of my foes. My head you have anointed with oil; my cup is overflowing.  Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life. In the Lord’s own house shall I dwell for ever and ever.”  He comes to lead us to the right path for He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.  He is our healer.
Today, as we celebrate the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, we are once again called to contemplate on His love and mercy for us sinners. So that becoming conscious and confident of His “love poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit which has been given us”, we too might repent and turn back to Him.  After being reconciled with Him, then we too must be the Heart of Jesus to those who are broken, wounded and lost.  We too must lead them back to Jesus the Good Shepherd, unlike the bad shepherds of Israel who only cared for themselves.  We do this not just by showing and telling others about the Good Shepherd but we must be shepherds of love and compassion ourselves.  What is most needed in the world today is compassion, understanding and forgiveness.  Indeed, St Teresa of Calcutta said, “Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.”  That is why shepherds after the heart of Christ must begin where we are, in our homes, in our family, at the place of work and in our community.  Let us show compassion, understanding, tolerance and forgiveness to each other when we fail, when we are in need and in pain.  Be shepherds with a compassionate heart like Jesus.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment