Thursday 24 October 2019

DESPAIR IN DOING GOOD

20191025 DESPAIR IN DOING GOOD


25 OCTOBER, 2019, Friday, 29th Week, Ordinary Time
Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Green.

First reading
Romans 7:18-25 ©

Every time I want to do good it is something evil that comes to hand
I know of nothing good living in me – living, that is, in my unspiritual self – for though the will to do what is good is in me, the performance is not, with the result that instead of doing the good things I want to do, I carry out the sinful things I do not want. When I act against my will, then, it is not my true self doing it, but sin which lives in me.
  In fact, this seems to be the rule, that every single time I want to do good it is something evil that comes to hand. In my inmost self I dearly love God’s Law, but I can see that my body follows a different law that battles against the law which my reason dictates. This is what makes me a prisoner of that law of sin which lives inside my body.
  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body doomed to death?
  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 118(119):66,68,76-77,93-94 ©
Lord, teach me your statutes.
Teach me discernment and knowledge
  for I trust in your commands.
You are good and your deeds are good;
  teach me your statutes.
Lord, teach me your statutes.
Let your love be ready to console me
  by your promise to your servant.
Let your love come and I shall live
  for your law is my delight.
Lord, teach me your statutes.
I will never forget your precepts
  for with them you give me life.
Save me, for I am yours
  since I seek your precepts.
Lord, teach me your statutes.

Gospel Acclamation
Ps94:8
Alleluia, alleluia!
Harden not your hearts today,
but listen to the voice of the Lord.
Alleluia!
Or:
Mt11:25
Alleluia, alleluia!
Blessed are you, Father, 
Lord of heaven and earth,
for revealing the mysteries of the kingdom
to mere children.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Luke 12:54-59 ©

Do you not know how to interpret these times?
Jesus said to the crowds: ‘When you see a cloud looming up in the west you say at once that rain is coming, and so it does. And when the wind is from the south you say it will be hot, and it is. Hypocrites! You know how to interpret the face of the earth and the sky. How is it you do not know how to interpret these times?
  ‘Why not judge for yourselves what is right? For example: when you go to court with your opponent, try to settle with him on the way, or he may drag you before the judge and the judge hand you over to the bailiff and the bailiff have you thrown into prison. I tell you, you will not get out till you have paid the very last penny.’

DESPAIR IN DOING GOOD

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ Rom 7:18-25Ps 119:666876-7793-94Lk 12:54-59 ]
There are different kinds of sinners. The first and most incorrigible sinners are those who know the right thing to do but deliberately choose to do evil because of selfishness.  They commit the sin against the Holy Spirit because they freely choose to close themselves to God, as in the case of the devil.  But there are those who are ignorant about what is right or wrong.  They are deceived by the apparently logical arguments presented by the world.  They judge by appearances and seek short-term benefits at the expense of truth and long term consequences.   For such sinners, the Lord would say, “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing.”   (Lk 23:34)
But today’s scripture readings are directed at those who have been converted to the Lord, as St Paul was.  Yet, the promise of freedom from sin, since we are made anew in Christ through baptism, does not seem to be a reality.  We still struggle against sins.  This battle fighting in us, as St Paul described it, is the reality of who we are.  “I know of nothing good living in me – living, that is, in my unspiritual self – for though the will to do what is good is in me, the performance is not, with the result that instead of doing the good things I want to do, I carry out the sinful things I do not want.  When I act against my will, then, it is not my true self doing it, but sin which lives in me.”  Indeed, we get very frustrated in spite of our many attempts to fight against sin and temptation.  But more often than not, we give in to our human weakness and the temptations of the Evil One.
The point is, why do we keep on falling into sin?  We know, as the gospel tells us, how to read the signs of the time.  We know what is right and what is wrong.  We know the truth of the Word of God.  With the psalmist, we repeatedly say, “I trust in your commands.  You are good and your deeds are good; teach me your statutes.  I will never forget your precepts for with them you give me life.  Save me, for I am yours since I seek your precepts.”  Again like St Paul, we also sincerely say, “In fact, this seems to be the rule, that every single time I want to do good it is something evil that comes to hand.  In my inmost self I dearly love God’s Law, but I can see that my body follows a different law that battles against the law which my reason dictates.”
The truth is that although our sins are forgiven by the grace of God through the death and resurrection of His Son, our nature remains wounded because of sin.  The reason why we keep sinning even though we know it is wrong is because we are all of the law of sin which lives inside our body.  Baptism and forgiveness of sins does not take away our wounded nature, which is susceptible to sin.  Nevertheless, it gives us the grace to fight against sin with greater strength, given to us by the Holy Spirit through our union with Christ in prayer and in intimacy.  It is the Spirit of God that lives in us that will empower us to live the life of Christ and the life of the Spirit.
So we must still continue to struggle against sin.  The author of the letter to the Hebrews wrote, “Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as children – ‘My child, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, or lose heart when you are punished by him; for the Lord disciplines those whom he loves, and chastises every child whom he accepts.’ Endure trials for the sake of discipline. God is treating you as children; for what child is there whom a parent does not discipline?'”  (Heb 12:3-7) If God allows us to fight against temptation, it is but to strengthen us in virtues and in holiness.
It also helps us to learn to be humble and not become too proud of ourselves.  When we think we are perfect like the Pharisees, we become self-righteous, think too highly of ourselves, become proud and arrogant, despising those who have fallen into sin just like those in social media condemning offenders without mercy and compassion as if they themselves are sinless.  When we know that we are sinners, ignorant in many ways and weak in the flesh, then we will be more empathetic with those who fall into sin and also more forgiving.  We will not condemn but try to encourage those who fail from time to time.  St Paul tells us, “Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.”  (1 Cor 13:4-6)
At the same time, we will rely more on the grace of God than on our human strength alone.  St Paul himself had to contend with his struggle against sin.  He wrote, “Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.”  (2 Cor 12:7-10)  Indeed, knowing how weak and inadequate we are, instead of relying on our human ingenuities, we realize that we have to depend on God alone.  With St Paul, we say, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.’  (Phil 4:13)  Indeed, “What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body doomed to death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!”
But what if we fail and continue to fail?  This is where the Lord gives us hope.  He said, “Why not judge for yourselves what is right?  For example:  when you go to court with your opponent, try to settle with him on the way, or he may drag you before the judge and the judge hand you over to the bailiff and the bailiff have you thrown into prison.”   Knowing that we have to pay the price for our sins, what must we do?  We can only turn to God’s mercy and forgiveness.  This is why the Church gives us the Sacrament of Reconciliation so that whenever we sin against the Lord and our fellowmen, we can turn to the Lord.  He is ever ready to forgive us our sins and to renew His love for us.
But it does not mean that we can sin more.  “What then are we to say? Should we continue in sin in order that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin go on living in it?”  (Rom 6:1f)  On the contrary, it will be His love for us that will spur us to avoid sinning, not because of fear but because of a greater love for Him.  “Let your love be ready to console me by your promise to your servant.  Let your love come and I shall live for your law is my delight.”  When we know that God loves us even when we sin, this realization will give us the impetus to fight against temptation because we do not want to hurt God who loves us so much.  In other words, instead of allowing sin which lives in us, we overwrite our sinful nature with the Spirit of God’s love dwelling in our hearts.  When that happens, we will have greater strength to resist the devil and his temptations.
So we need to be patient with ourselves.  We are works in progress.  Even as we struggle against sin and pick ourselves up again and again when we fall into sin, we must keep our eyes focused on our ultimate calling as sons and daughters of God.  We must not forget our identity as God’s children so that we will live truly as His sons and daughters, reflective of our heavenly Father.  St Paul reminds us, “Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.”  (Phil 3:12-14)


Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment