Friday 27 March 2015

20150327 PERSEVERE IN DOING GOOD EVEN WHEN MISUNDERSTOOD

20150327 PERSEVERE IN DOING GOOD EVEN WHEN MISUNDERSTOOD

Readings at Mass

First reading
Jeremiah 20:10-13 ©
Jeremiah said:
I hear so many disparaging me,
‘“Terror from every side!”
Denounce him! Let us denounce him!’
All those who used to be my friends
watched for my downfall,
‘Perhaps he will be seduced into error.
Then we will master him
and take our revenge!’
But the Lord is at my side, a mighty hero;
my opponents will stumble, mastered,
confounded by their failure;
everlasting, unforgettable disgrace will be theirs.
But you, O Lord of Hosts, you who probe with justice,
who scrutinise the loins and heart,
let me see the vengeance you will take on them,
for I have committed my cause to you.
Sing to the Lord,
praise the Lord,
for he has delivered the soul of the needy
from the hands of evil men.

Psalm
Psalm 17:2-7 ©
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.
I love you, Lord, my strength,
  my rock, my fortress, my saviour.
My God is the rock where I take refuge;
  my shield, my mighty help, my stronghold.
The Lord is worthy of all praise,
  when I call I am saved from my foes.
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.
The waves of death rose about me;
  the torrents of destruction assailed me;
the snares of the grave entangled me;
  the traps of death confronted me.
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.
In my anguish I called to the Lord;
  I cried to God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice;
  my cry came to his ears.
In my anguish I called to the Lord, and he heard my voice.

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Jn6:63,68
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!
Your words are spirit, Lord, and they are life;
you have the message of eternal life.
Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!

Gospel
John 10:31-42 ©
The Jews fetched stones to stone him, so Jesus said to them, ‘I have done many good works for you to see, works from my Father; for which of these are you stoning me?’ The Jews answered him, ‘We are not stoning you for doing a good work but for blasphemy: you are only a man and you claim to be God.’ Jesus answered:
‘Is it not written in your Law:
I said, you are gods?
So the Law uses the word gods
of those to whom the word of God was addressed,
and scripture cannot be rejected.
Yet you say to someone the Father has consecrated and sent into the world,
“You are blaspheming,”
because he says, “I am the son of God.”
If I am not doing my Father’s work,
there is no need to believe me;
but if I am doing it,
then even if you refuse to believe in me,
at least believe in the work I do;
then you will know for sure
that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.’
They wanted to arrest him then, but he eluded them.
  He went back again to the far side of the Jordan to stay in the district where John had once been baptising. Many people who came to him there said, ‘John gave no signs, but all he said about this man was true’; and many of them believed in him.


PERSEVERE IN DOING GOOD EVEN WHEN MISUNDERSTOOD
SCRIPTURE READINGS:JER 20:10-13; JN 10:31-42
Doing good is quite difficult for some of us as we are inclined towards individualism and self-centredness.  Nonetheless, some of us who are moved by the Holy Spirit, still seek to reach out in love to our suffering fellowmen and those courting disaster, but our efforts, unfortunately, do not always find positive reception.  By speaking out against evil or the wrongs that others have done, we risk being spurned or even confronted with hostility. Not being appreciated for the good we do is already discouraging enough, but to have our good intentions misunderstood and be wrongly accused of things we never did, or suspected of dubious motives which we never had, truly pierces the heart.
In such a situation, we are tempted to give up helping such people and consigning them to their ignorance and fate.  We want to wash the dust from our feet and allow nature and the consequences of their sins to punish and awaken them.  We might even feel angry with God for abandoning us and not taking our side.  Indeed, when faced with such challenges and violent opposition, those of us who are active in Church ministry or helping out in voluntary organizations can become indignant and sometimes even vindictive.  We might even curse those we set out to help, or hope that God will take revenge on our behalf.  Others might even give up faith in God or in the Church and resign themselves to evil when they deem the situation to be hopeless.   We cannot accept that God does not show His face quickly and vindicate us from our foes.
This was the case of Jeremiah in the first reading.  He too was a reluctant prophet.  He was called by God in spite of his objections of inadequacy to speak the Word of God.  But because he loved God and his people, he spoke out against the infidelity of his people to the Covenant, for the injustices they committed against their fellowmen and the failure to observe the laws of the Covenant.  For all his sacrifices, his warnings not only went unheeded but he created many enemies, especially from the royal court, the false prophets and priests.  They were too blinded by their own sins and narrow-mindedness to face the truth about themselves and the precarious situation the country was in.   As a consequence, they went all out to get at Jeremiah, to eliminate him from the face of the earth, so that their conscience would not be disturbed by his stark teachings.  Indeed, they began to manipulate, connive and plan to put Jeremiah out of circulation.  That was what Jeremiah said, “I hear so many disparaging me, ‘Terror from every side!’ Denounce him! Let us denounce him!’ All those who used to be my friends watched for my downfall, ‘Perhaps he will be seduced into error. Then we will master him and take our revenge!’”
Similarly, in the gospel, Jesus too was denounced for His teachings.  The Jews could not accept the way Jesus spoke about God’s mercy and acceptance of the sinners.  In spite of the good works that He did, the authorities ganged up against Him and plotted to dispose of Him.  They even fetched stones to stone Jesus.  What was the reason?  On the superficial level, they gave a theological excuse to put Jesus to death because He claimed to be the Son of God.  They said to Jesus, “We are not stoning you for doing a good work but for blasphemy: you are only a man and you claim to be God.”  Underlying this apparent justification to put Jesus to death was their inability to accept that Jesus was more popular than them and that the crowds were following Him.  They were envious of Him, insecure of their position and power and fearful of His perceived political agenda. How then can we transcend our detractors and slanderers?
Firstly, we must cling to God our Hero, as Jeremiah called Him.  In faith, he said, “But the Lord is at my side, a mighty hero; my opponents will stumble, mastered, confounded by their failure; everlasting, unforgettable disgrace will be theirs.”   When we feel we are losing the battle and we cannot change the mind-set or soften the heart of our unrepentant spouse or children, let us never give up hope that the Lord is on our side and that He will act in His own time and in His wisdom.  He is our mighty hero. Like the psalmist, we pray, “My God, my rock of refuge, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold! Praised be the Lord, I exclaim, and I am safe from my enemies.”
Secondly, we must surrender our cause to Him.  He will know how to put things right. We must continue to trust Him the way Jesus did, even unto death.  This is because He knows the heart of every person.  He knows our intentions and He knows the sins that have a hold over sinners.  As Jeremiah exclaimed, “But you, Lord of hosts, you who probe with justice, who scrutinise the loins and heart, let me see the vengeance you will take on them, for I have committed my cause to you.”   It is to the Lord that we should surrender our lives and all our aspirations.  We will never be able to understand the wisdom of God and His plan for us.  But if we just learn to let go and let Him take over, cooperating with His love and Will, we will triumph over our enemies in the end.  This we can be sure, for He will see us through.  The death of Jesus is a reminder that love and life are victorious in the end, not sin and evil.
Thirdly, we must continue to pray with faith and sing praises to the Lord.  This is what Jeremiah did.  Worshipping and singing praises to the Lord is the most effective way to raise our hopes, for praise renders trust in the mighty hand of God.  As we sing to the Lord in songs and with faith, the sorrows and disappointments of this life will not be able to overwhelm us and cause us to lose confidence in Him.  The sentiment of the psalmist assures us that God is faithful.  He said, “In my distress I called upon the Lord and cried out to my God; from his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.”
Fourthly, never forget our dignity as the sons and daughters of God.  This was the reply of Jesus when accused of blasphemy, “Is it not written in your Law: I said, you are gods? So the Law used the word gods of those to whom the word of God was addressed, and scripture cannot be rejected. Yet you say to someone the Father has consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because he says, ‘I am the Son of God.’”  We are all children of God.  So we can be assured that we are safe in the hands of the Father.  Jesus reminds us, “If I am not doing my Father’s work, there is no need to believe me, at least believe in the work I do; then you will know for sure that the Father is in me and I am the Father.”  The Father who chose us to be His children will not abandon us if we continue to surrender our lives to Him and all our anxieties and fears.  We cannot be so presumptuous to think we can solve all our problems.  We cannot change people’s minds and hearts.  Only the Lord can reach the recesses of every one of us.
So in the face of evil, let us not retaliate or take matters into our own hands.  That would be unbecoming of us Christians. We must let the Father defend us and put things right. We must pray for our enemies and also that God will grant them wisdom, understanding and conversion of heart.  In the meantime, we must persevere in doing good with a clear conscience as Jesus did in the gospel when He challenged the Jews, “I have done many good works for you to see, works from my Father; for which of these are you stoning me?”  Let our good works justify us and show that we come from the Father and that the Father is acting and working in and through us.  Jesus did not stop doing good and doing the right thing just because some people were not happy.  On the contrary, we read that “Many people who came to him there said, ‘John gave no signs, but all he said about this man was true’; and many of them believed in him.”
Finally, let us learn from the mistakes of our enemies.  The enemies of Jeremiah and Jesus were too intent on destroying them that they failed to remain objective and docile to their messages.  Their hearts and minds were closed to the truth.  As a result, the real losers were themselves.  We too must be careful not to fall into this trap.  Instead of reacting with anger, we must try to disregard what our critics say about us.  We must pray for humility to consider what they say, for even if such remarks were made in fear or retaliation, there could be some truth in what they are saying.  More often than not, our enemies attack us because of their fears and unaddressed hurts. Such hurts could have been caused by us, consciously or unintentionally.  Let us listen not to what they say but what they are not saying.  Rather, let us listen to what they are truly feeling within, masked by all their harsh words spoken angrily against us.  They too can be the unlikely prophets of God sent to purify our love and help us grow in self-awareness and love for others.
WRITTEN BY THE MOST REV WILLIAM GOH
ARCHBISHOP OF SINGAPORE
© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments:

Post a Comment