Thursday 22 October 2015

WINNING THE STRUGGLE AGAINST SIN

20151023 WINNING THE STRUGGLE AGAINST SIN

Readings at Mass

First reading
Romans 7:18-25 ©
I know of nothing good living in me – living, that is, in my unspiritual self – for though the will to do what is good is in me, the performance is not, with the result that instead of doing the good things I want to do, I carry out the sinful things I do not want. When I act against my will, then, it is not my true self doing it, but sin which lives in me.
  In fact, this seems to be the rule, that every single time I want to do good it is something evil that comes to hand. In my inmost self I dearly love God’s Law, but I can see that my body follows a different law that battles against the law which my reason dictates. This is what makes me a prisoner of that law of sin which lives inside my body.
  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body doomed to death?
  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Psalm
Psalm 118:66,68,76-77,93-94 ©
Lord, teach me your statutes.
Teach me discernment and knowledge
  for I trust in your commands.
You are good and your deeds are good;
  teach me your statutes.
Lord, teach me your statutes.
Let your love be ready to console me
  by your promise to your servant.
Let your love come and I shall live
  for your law is my delight.
Lord, teach me your statutes.
I will never forget your precepts
  for with them you give me life.
Save me, for I am yours
  since I seek your precepts.
Lord, teach me your statutes.

Gospel Acclamation
Ps94:8
Alleluia, alleluia!
Harden not your hearts today,
but listen to the voice of the Lord.
Alleluia!
Or
Mt11:25
Alleluia, alleluia!
Blessed are you, Father,
Lord of heaven and earth,
for revealing the mysteries of the kingdom
to mere children.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Luke 12:54-59 ©
Jesus said to the crowds, ‘When you see a cloud looming up in the west you say at once that rain is coming, and so it does. And when the wind is from the south you say it will be hot, and it is. Hypocrites! You know how to interpret the face of the earth and the sky. How is it you do not know how to interpret these times?
  ‘Why not judge for yourselves what is right? For example: when you go to court with your opponent, try to settle with him on the way, or he may drag you before the judge and the judge hand you over to the bailiff and the bailiff have you thrown into prison. I tell you, you will not get out till you have paid the very last penny.’

WINNING THE STRUGGLE AGAINST SIN


SCRIPTURE READINGS: ROM 7:18-25; PS 118:66, 68, 76-77, 93-94; LK 12:54-59
I believe we are all good by nature.  After all, we are created in His image and likeness.  We all desire to love and be good to everyone.  Indeed, the fact that we have an inviolable conscience means that deep within our hearts, we have this natural instinct to differentiate between what is right and wrong.  We all are indignant with injustices done to us, although ironically it seems all right for us to commit injustice against others.  It is for this reason that everyone would fight for justice and their rights.
Of course, it is true that when it comes to practical judgement, many of us are confused as to what is right and good.  With the amount of materials, information and choices offered by the world through the mass media, most of us are not too sure what is right or wrong anymore.  So many arguments are put forward to bolster their case, whether it is war, same-sex union, abortion, divorce, euthanasia, cheating, etc. As a consequence, we live in a relativistic society because no one knows what is right or wrong.  No one knows the truth, and with so much infidelity, no one knows what love is anymore.   So the fact remains that in spite of relativism, deep in our hearts, we know what we do is not right.  We know that we are cheating ourselves and we try to justify our actions.  We know that it is not for the love of others but for self-protection and for our own gratification.
In order to maintain some order in family life and society and in the Church, we have laws.  Again, we know that most laws are good.   They are formulated by the society to protect the common good.  So we have civil laws.  In the Church, we have liturgical and canon laws.  Every organization and institution has laws to govern how members relate to one another and conduct themselves. Laws are therefore necessary because they are meant for the greater good of the community.
Yet, these laws are not perfect.  They are not absolute because they are human responses to the practical needs of people.  As Jesus in the gospel says, “the Sabbath is not made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” In this case here, laws are formulated to please society.  It is not a question of doing the right thing or putting up the right laws but doing what is commonly accepted by the majority.  Laws in society are based on consensus.  They are not based on objectivity but on the whims, fancies and desires of a decadent society.  That is why different countries, depending on the state of morality of its citizens, craft different kinds of laws.  In one country, same-sex union is permitted, in another place, it is not.
Why are there different judgements on what is right and true?  This is because the laws today are crafted by people who do not necessarily know the truth.  The blind leading the blind will all fall into the ditch.  The real problem is that there is no democracy with regard to the objective truth.  But society has made morality a democratic consensus.  Most laws in society are compromised values, taking into consideration the needs of all individuals.  This explains why moral relativism rules the day, because every government is seeking consensus from its citizens, since they are elected into office by the people to carry out their bidding.  Very few governments today see themselves as guardians of morality.  They are more like CEOs of corporations, ensuring that there is economic productivity and material prosperity in the country; and unity among the different communities and ideologies.
It is for this reason, that we maintain that laws must be based on eternal truths and values; not on the passing values and desires of the human person.  Laws must be founded on the objective and not subjective needs and cravings.  Where can objective laws be found if not in nature and in God?  Morality must be based on natural and divine laws as revealed by God.  Man cannot be the norm of what is right and wrong.  He is not indispensable and not absolute.  Only God who is absolute could give us the right laws based not on passing preferences but rooted in the eternal values of life.
But this is the crux of the problem in today’s readings.  Even if we know what is right or wrong, based on divine truths, we still find ourselves struggling against sin and the right thing to do in life.  This is what St Paul experienced when he shared, “In my inmost self I dearly love God’s Law, but I can see that my body follows a different law that battles against the law which my reason dictates.” The psalmist too extols the beauty and perfection of the laws of God.  “Teach me discernment and knowledge for I trust in your commands.  You are good and your deeds are good; teach me your statutes.  Let your love be ready to console me by your promise to your servant. Let your love come and I shall live for your law is my delight. I will never forget your precepts for with them you give me life.  Save me, for I am yours since I seek your precepts.”  So the problem of obedience to the law is not resolved.  The evil people do not obey the laws because they do not believe in them.  Neither can the good people fully obey the laws, even if they know that the laws are good.
In our struggles, what options do we have to get out of this dilemma?  The way that the world takes is one of relativism.  It is a pragmatic approach towards life.  Do what we think is best for the moment.  Follow the consensus.   Don’t worry about whether it is true or not, so long as the majority agrees.  Don’t think of the long-term consequences, so long as it works for now.  The other way is licentiousness.  There are no laws.  In the name of freedom and individuality, we do whatever we want, so long as we do not get hurt.  At any rate, there is no life after death, no punishment or eternal death.  It speaks of freedom but it is a form of slavery to our passions.  The other extreme position is the way of legalism.  Just obey the laws regardless.  Keep the laws and the laws will keep you.  But this life is one of slavery to the laws and living in fear of God’s wrath.  None of these ways can save us or set us free.
Jesus in today’s gospel asks us to look at the signs.  “When you see a cloud looming up in the west you say at once that rain is coming, and so it does.  And when the wind is from the south you say it will be hot, and it is.  Hypocrites!  You know how to interpret the face of the earth and the sky.  How is it you do not know how to interpret these times?” Can we see the consequences of those who subscribe to such positions in life?  Look at the world today and study the implications and effects of a society that is relativistic in outlook, or one that is lived in lawlessness.   Look at the modern trends of society.  What have they done to the family and marriage institution?  Look at our young people.  What are their attitudes towards society, generosity, selfless service, morality and love?  We are consumed by lust and a promiscuous life.  Our family is divided because of divorce and infidelity.  Our relationships are superficial and manipulative.   People are seeking for true love but find none.  They are looking for eternal values that can satisfy their souls but only find the passing pleasures of life.
Hence, Jesus warns us to take the necessary actions before it is too late.  Otherwise we will have to bear the full weight of the consequences.  He says, “when you go to court with your opponent, try to settle with him on the way, or he may drag you before the judge and the judge hand you over to the bailiff and the bailiff have you thrown into prison.  I tell you, you will not get out till you have paid the very last penny.”  We must therefore look squarely into the real causes of our inability to choose what is right and good and observe our choices.  What is it that hinders us from acting according to our convictions? Simply because we are “prisoners of that law of sin which lives inside my body.”
As St Paul said,  “I know of nothing good living in me – living, that is, in my unspiritual self – for though the will to do what is good is in me, the performance is not, with the result that instead of doing the good things I want to do, I carry out the sinful things I do not want.  When I act against my will, then, it is not my true self doing it, but sin which lives in me.”  There is a deep wound in our soul and body.  We are wounded at its very roots.  This explains why we are not able to live a life of integrity and consistency.  Healing must take place at this level before we can live a holistic life.
How can this be done?  Jesus, who is the way, the truth and the life, can show us how to live a life that is consistent with the will and plan of God.  Jesus comes to enlighten our minds and teach us the truth about life.  But not only does He heal our minds but He also comes to heal our hearts.  He did this by showing us the mercy and love of God His Father through His works of mercy, forgiveness and death on the cross.
In the final analysis, only truth and love can transform us.  Once the mind is enlightened by the Word of God in the truth, the heart will be ready and docile to His love.  Only one who is enlightened by the truth and by love can love in truth.   So the transformation is not through the laws but through love.  We change our lives and live in love because we love Jesus and Jesus in turn fills us with His love so that we too can love others before ourselves.  Our love for others is purified without self-interests and ulterior motives.  Indeed, St Paul says that the only debt we owe to each other is the debt of mutual love. “Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.” (Rom 13:8) St Augustine says, “Love and do what you will.”   Of course, provided you love in truth!

Written by The Most Rev William Goh
Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore
© All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment