Saturday 29 October 2016

PROCLAIMING CHRIST AT ALL COSTS

20161029 PROCLAIMING CHRIST AT ALL COSTS

Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Green.

First reading
Philippians 1:18-26 ©
Christ is proclaimed; and that makes me happy; and I shall continue being happy, because I know this will help to save me, thanks to your prayers and to the help which will be given to me by the Spirit of Jesus. My one hope and trust is that I shall never have to admit defeat, but that now as always I shall have the courage for Christ to be glorified in my body, whether by my life or by my death. Life to me, of course, is Christ, but then death would bring me something more; but then again, if living in this body means doing work which is having good results – I do not know what I should choose. I am caught in this dilemma: I want to be gone and be with Christ, which would be very much the better, but for me to stay alive in this body is a more urgent need for your sake. This weighs with me so much that I feel sure I shall survive and stay with you all, and help you to progress in the faith and even increase your joy in it; and so you will have another reason to give praise to Christ Jesus on my account when I am with you again.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 41(42):2-3,5 ©
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.
Like the deer that yearns
  for running streams,
so my soul is yearning
  for you, my God.
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.
My soul is thirsting for God,
  the God of my life;
when can I enter and see
  the face of God?
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.
I would lead the rejoicing crowd
  into the house of God,
amid cries of gladness and thanksgiving.
My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life.

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Col3:16a,17
Alleluia, alleluia!
Let the message of Christ, in all its richness,
find a home with you;
through him give thanks to God the Father.
Alleluia!
Or
Mt11:29
Alleluia, alleluia!
Shoulder my yoke and learn from me,
says the Lord,
for I am gentle and humble in heart.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Luke 14:1,7-11 ©
On a sabbath day Jesus had gone for a meal to the house of one of the leading Pharisees; and they watched him closely. He then told the guests a parable, because he had noticed how they picked the places of honour. He said this, ‘When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take your seat in the place of honour. A more distinguished person than you may have been invited, and the person who invited you both may come and say, “Give up your place to this man.” And then, to your embarrassment, you would have to go and take the lowest place. No; when you are a guest, make your way to the lowest place and sit there, so that, when your host comes, he may say, “My friend, move up higher.” In that way, everyone with you at the table will see you honoured. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted.’


PROCLAIMING CHRIST AT ALL COSTS


SCRIPTURE READINGS: [  Phil 1:18-26; Ps 41:2-3, 5; Luke 14:1, 7-11 ]
We all want to be successful in life but we lack focus and singularity of purpose.  Because we do not have any real goal in life, we give up easily, especially in times of trial and difficulties.   Indeed, without passion, we cannot expect people to persevere in what they do.  Without conviction, no one is going to sacrifice their time, energy and their life for anything.
Without conviction, there is no passion to persevere.  Indeed, this is true in everyday life; whether it is the student, worker or even a priest or religious.   When we are not passionate about what we do, or have any real convictions and dreams in life, we will just wander and drift along each day.  When nothing engages us passionately, other things in life will distract us.  Instead of studying, the student will spend time on his computer and phone, playing games and chatting the whole day.  He studies only because he is forced to; not because he enjoys acquiring knowledge, which is good for his personal development and for the service of humanity in the future.   The smarter ones are motivated to seek good grades so that they can earn the praise and acceptance of his peers, teachers and parents.   A worker without passion for his or her job, is unable to see his or her place in the company, or is not even convinced of the project or service the company is rendering, cannot be expected to contribute towards the building of the business.  At most, he or she is motivated by financial remuneration and promotion.  Even priests and religious are not exempted.  When they lack passion in their ministry, they will spend their time, or rather waste their time, doing trivial things just to kill time rather than doing something beautiful for God and His people.  Otherwise, they will carry out their ministry so as to gain recognition and love from their parishioners.
Those who are driven by such low goals will not realize the best in themselves.  Instead, the worst of them is brought out because they are motivated solely by an ambition for power, material benefits, recognition, glory and status.  This can make us competitive and ruthless, jealous and envious of others.  Instead of seeing and exploring what we can do and be creative and proactive, we are always planning, conniving and strategizing how to eliminate our opponents.   Such people are always anxious and never at peace.  They are quarrelsome, always picking faults in others and divisive.
In the first reading, we see that St Paul is very focused in his mission and ministry.  He was a man with a vision and a mission.   He was focused and determined in what he was called to do.   His entire life was spent in spreading the gospel of Christ.  All he desired was to make Christ known for the salvation of humanity.  He wrote, “Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death.”
What mattered to St Paul was that Christ was proclaimed in every way, regardless of situations.   It did not matter who proclaimed Christ or who sowed the seed, but that Christ was proclaimed.  It was not about himself, but about the Lord.  To the Corinthians, he said, “What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.”  (1 Cor 3:5-7)  St Paul was very clear about his role.  He was not promoting himself in any way but he was totally focused on the proclamation of Christ.  He said, “What does it matter? Just this, that Christ is proclaimed in every way.”
In life or death, St Paul wanted to serve the Lord and was intent on making Him known and loved.  St Paul was indifferent with regard to his personal preferences.  Although he would have preferred to return to the Lord, yet he chose to be with the people because they needed him more.   “For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.”   St Paul was selfless in the proclamation of the gospel.
How many of us can be like St Paul in the way we do ministry?  How many of us are unconditional in our love for our spouse, parents and children?  More often than not we serve with much egotism in us.  How else do we explain parents who apportion their love and appreciation for their children by how well they do in their studies?  Or priests and Church leaders who are welcoming and caring only for those who help them in their ministry?  Or Church members who are given privileges and access to the priests’ services because of what they do in Church?  Indeed, there is much division within the Church because we all want things our way, our voice to be heard, our plans to be endorsed and our leadership to be accepted and recognized.  It is not about Christ and the Church first, or the greater good of the community, but about our narrow interests.  This was what Jesus was talking about in the gospel.  Most of us seek honour. We like to be recognized and appreciated.  But Jesus warns us about harboring vain desires.  Instead, we should remain humble and choose the lowest place.  
Nevertheless, what is significant is that St Paul recognized that many of us who serve Him might not have sincere or pure motives.  Yet, St Paul accepted their service and contributions as well.  He wrote, “whether out of false motives or true; and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance.”  That was how focused St Paul was.  He did not expect his collaborators to be perfect and completely noble in service.  He knew that God will make use of us for the spread of the gospel even if our motives are not pure.  St Paul was realistic enough to know the limitations of man.  Although he himself strove to serve the Lord with pure motives, yet he did not pass judgment on others and despise those who do not.  In fact, with humility, St Paul even admitted, “I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive commendation from God.”  (1 Cor 4:4f)
This should be a source of encouragement for us. The truth is that many of us, even when serving the Church, do not always have sincere motives.  We are motivated by praise, recognition and appreciation.  There is the human side of us that craves for honour and praise for the good works that we do.  God accepts whatever we can offer to Him.  He will make use of whatever we can offer for His greater glory.  He is patient with us in our purification of love.  As St Peter exhorted the Christians, “Now that you have purified your souls by your obedience to the truth so that you have genuine mutual love, love one another deeply from the heart.”   (1 Pt 1:22)  So we should not be discouraged even if our services are not rightly motivated, whether out of fear, egotism or needs.
How, then, can we purify our motives?  St Peter wrote, “You have been born anew, not of perishable but of imperishable seed, through the living and enduring word of God.”  (1 Pt 1:22)  Only love can purify our motives and make us do everything for the one we love.  Isn’t this the way we love our children and loved ones?  Parents are willing to sacrifice all, whatever they have, money, resources and time for their loved ones.  Nothing is too difficult for us to sacrifice for those whom we love.   In the same way too, when we fall in love with Jesus, we would do anything and everything for Him.  Those who are passionate about the gospel and in announcing the Good News are not theologians but the simple people who have encountered the love of God in their hearts.  This was what drove St Paul in his ministry.  He made it clear that his desire was “to depart and be with Christ.”  Like the psalmist, we must seek the love of God instead.   “Like the deer that yearns for running streams, so my soul is yearning for you, my God.  My soul is thirsting for God, the God of my life; when can I enter and see the face of God?”
When love of Christ and the spread of the gospel is our motive, then we will not spend too much time squabbling over positions in the Church, over the right rubrics and the application of the laws.  Indeed, some of us spend too much time fighting over such petty matters when the real work of the proclamation of the gospel is neglected and the works of charity forgotten.  What ultimately matters is that people are brought to Christ, regardless of who and how they are brought to Him; some through us and some through others; some through Mary and some through a healing service; some through the charismatic renewal and some through the Extraordinary Rite of the Mass.   In the final analysis, without love, charity and humility, all that we do are done in vain, even if we have the right doctrines and the right liturgy.  Anything that brings people to Christ is all that matters.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment