Tuesday 6 June 2017

MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IS WHAT GIVES MEANING AND HOPE

20170607 MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IS WHAT GIVES MEANING AND HOPE

Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Green.

First reading
Tobit 3:1-11,16-17 ©
Sad at heart, I, Tobit, sighed and wept, and began this prayer of lamentation:
‘You are just, O Lord,
and just are all your works.
All your ways are grace and truth,
and you are the Judge of the world.
‘Therefore, Lord, remember me, look on me.
Do not punish me for my sins
or for my heedless faults
or for those of my fathers.
‘For we have sinned against you
and broken your commandments;
and you have given us over to be plundered,
to captivity and death,
to be the talk, the laughing-stock and scorn
of all the nations among whom you have dispersed us.
‘Whereas all your decrees are true
when you deal with me as my faults deserve,
and those of my fathers,
since we have neither kept your commandments
nor walked in truth before you;
so now, do with me as you will;
be pleased to take my life from me;
I desire to be delivered from earth
and to become earth again.
For death is better for me than life.
I have been reviled without a cause
and I am distressed beyond measure.
‘Lord, I wait for the sentence you will give
to deliver me from this affliction.
Let me go away to my everlasting home;
do not turn your face from me, O Lord.
For it is better to die than still to live
in the face of trouble that knows no pity;
I am weary of hearing myself traduced.’
It chanced on the same day that Sarah the daughter of Raguel, who lived in Media at Ecbatana, also heard insults from one of her father’s maids. You must know that she had been given in marriage seven times, and that Asmodeus, that worst of demons, had killed her bridegrooms one after another before ever they had slept with her as man with wife. The servant-girl said, ‘Yes, you kill your bridegrooms yourself. That makes seven already to whom you have been given, and you have not once been in luck yet. Just because your bridegrooms have died, that is no reason for punishing us. Go and join them, and may we be spared the sight of any child of yours!’ That day, she grieved, she sobbed, and went up to her father’s room intending to hang herself. But then she thought, ‘Suppose they blamed my father! They will say, “You had an only daughter whom you loved, and now she has hanged herself for grief.” I cannot cause my father a sorrow which would bring down his old age to the dwelling of the dead. I should do better not to hang myself, but to beg the Lord to let me die and not live to hear any more insults.’
  This time the prayer of each of them found favour before the glory of God, and Raphael was sent to bring remedy to them both. He was to take the white spots from the eyes of Tobit, so that he might see God’s light with his own eyes; and he was to give Sarah, the daughter of Raguel, as bride to Tobias son of Tobit, and to rid her of Asmodeus, that worst of demons. For it was to Tobias before all other suitors that she belonged by right. Tobit was coming back from the courtyard into the house at the same moment as Sarah, the daughter of Raguel, was coming down from the upper room.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 24(25):2-9 ©
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
  I trust you, let me not be disappointed;
  do not let my enemies triumph.
Those who hope in you shall not be disappointed,
  but only those who wantonly break faith.
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
Lord, make me know your ways.
  Lord, teach me your paths.
Make me walk in your truth, and teach me:
  for you are God my saviour.
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
In you I hope all day long
  because of your goodness, O Lord.
Remember your mercy, Lord,
  and the love you have shown from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth.
  In your love remember me.
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
The Lord is good and upright.
  He shows the path to those who stray,
He guides the humble in the right path,
  He teaches his way to the poor.
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Gospel Acclamation
Jn17:17
Alleluia, alleluia!
Your word is truth, O Lord:
consecrate us in the truth.
Alleluia!
Or
Jn11:25, 26
Alleluia, alleluia!
I am the resurrection and the life, says the Lord;
whoever believes in me will never die.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Mark 12:18-27 ©
Some Sadducees – who deny that there is a resurrection – came to him and they put this question to him, ‘Master, we have it from Moses in writing, if a man’s brother dies leaving a wife but no child, the man must marry the widow to raise up children for his brother. Now there were seven brothers. The first married a wife and then died leaving no children. The second married the widow, and he too died leaving no children; with the third it was the same, and none of the seven left any children. Last of all the woman herself died. Now at the resurrection, when they rise again, whose wife will she be, since she had been married to all seven?’
  Jesus said to them, ‘Is not the reason why you go wrong, that you understand neither the scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, men and women do not marry; no, they are like the angels in heaven. Now about the dead rising again, have you never read in the Book of Moses, in the passage about the Bush, how God spoke to him and said: I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob? He is God, not of the dead, but of the living. You are very much mistaken.’

MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IS WHAT GIVES MEANING AND HOPE

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ TB 3:1-11. 16-17; PS 24:2-9; MK 12:18-27  ]
All three readings describe people without hope.   In the first reading from the Book of Tobit, we read of the lamentation of Tobit.  We can imagine how hurt and hopeless he must have felt.  He was blind, feeling helpless and not too sure whether he would be in this state for the rest of his life.  But he was humiliated further when his wife added salt to his wounds by scorning the good works he had done.  Instead of receiving blessings from God, he was paid with curses.  No wonder Tobit asked for an early death. He said, “Lord, I wait for the sentence you will give to deliver me from this affliction. Let me go away to my everlasting home; do not turn your face from me, O Lord. For it is better to die than still to live in the face of trouble that knows no pity; I am weary of hearing myself traduced.”
This lack of support is so common in family and marriage relationships.   Often, husband and wife are not supportive of each other when they are supposed to be helpmates.  Instead of offering encouragement to each other, they pour cold water on each other’s initiatives.  Instead of being grateful for what they do, they criticize each other.  This explains why after some time, the love for each other fades.  When we are not loved, we will eventually lose the capacity to love.  When we feel alone in our marriage, life is not worth living.  We feel life is not fair to us.  Besides having to work, we have to look after the family, tuition the children, look after the elderly at home, chauffeur them and even cook for them.  And without the support of our spouse, we feel lonely and tired.  We get sick of life because so many demands are made of us.  Everyone wants our attention but no one is giving us attention.  We are treated like a provider and a maid. Indeed, when we are in our lows, deprived of support especially from our loved ones, our thought is to die.  In our fatigue, we wish we could go back to the Lord sooner and let them take care of each other since we are not appreciated. Life is meaningless.
This was true also for Sarah.   She too was without support.  She already had the misfortune of seven marriages that ended tragically with her husbands killed by the demon even before they could consummate the marriage.  For a woman to be unmarried in those days was to be incomplete.  So she too was desperate.  Again, instead of finding support from her loved ones, she found none.  She was even insulted by one of her father’s maids.  In her misery, she too wanted to die. “That day she grieved, she sobbed, and went up to her father’s room intending to hang herself.”  On second thought, she did not want to get her father implicated in her death.  So she gave up the idea of hanging herself.  Rather, she turned to the Lord to grant her an early exit from this world.  “I cannot cause my father a sorrow which would bring down his old age to the dwelling of the dead.  I should do better not to hang myself, but to beg the Lord to let me die and not live to hear any more insults.”
Indeed, when we are in this state, we blame ourselves.  We think that perhaps God is punishing us for the sins we had committed.  Whenever people suffer a tragedy, a sickness or a misfortune, they would accuse themselves of the sins they committed.  They think God is taking revenge on them.  We doubt His love and mercy.  This was the way Tobit also prayed, “Therefore, Lord, remember me, look on me. Do not punish me for my sins or for my heedless faults or for those of my fathers.  Whereas all your decrees are true when you deal with me as my faults deserve, and those of my fathers, since we have neither kept your commandments nor walked in truth before you; so now, do with me as you will; be pleased to take my life from me; I desire to be delivered from earth and to become earth again. For death is better for me than life. I have been reviled without a cause and I am distressed beyond measure.”  But this is not the way God deals with us!
In the gospel, the Sadducees were also very negative towards the future.  They did not believe in the resurrection, in the spirits, in angels and in immortality.  They wanted to ridicule the teaching on the resurrection by providing a hypothetical case study of seven brothers.  In Jewish laws, if one of them died without children, the next brother would have to take his brother’s widow and bear him a child to continue the family name.   The academic question posed to Jesus was, whose wife would she belong to in the resurrection, since she married the seven brothers in turn after each died.
The response of Jesus was clear.  “He is God, not of the dead, but of the living.  You are very much mistaken.”  Indeed, our God is a living God and a God of the living.  By calling Himself “the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob”, it implies that the patriarchs are alive.  With God there is always life and there is always hope.  Otherwise we would have lived in vain.  For those who do not believe in the resurrection or life after death, life in this world is meaningless.  Whatever they do, whatever achievements or good they have done would die with them.  That being the case, what is the use of living a good life,  being generous and kind, righteous and honest?  If our life were to end with this life on earth, then we too will fall into despair as well.  Such people, as Jesus said, are mistaken!  It is hope in the next life that gives us the motivation to do good even in the face of evil, to strive even when faced with so much opposition.  Only confident hope in life after death will give us the strength to know that our struggles to do what is right and good will continue after us.  Faith in the resurrection is the basis of Christian hope.
And because God is a living God, we can expect Him to hear our prayers.  Indeed, He did answer the fervent, sincere and humble prayers of Tobit and Sarah.  “This time the prayer of each of them found favour before the glory of God, and Raphael was sent to bring remedy to them both.”  This too is the expression of the faith of the psalmist.  “I trust you, let me not be disappointed; do not let my enemies triumph. Those who hope in you shall not be disappointed, but only those who wantonly break faith.  Lord, make me know your ways. Lord, teach me your paths.  Make me walk in your truth, and teach me: for you are God my saviour.”   We too must persevere in our weakness and helplessness.  God will send His angels to help us, just as He sent Raphael to help them.  Recalling His fidelity to our fathers will help us to find strength and confidence in His mercy.  “In you I hope all day long because of your goodness, O Lord.  Remember your mercy, Lord, and the love you have shown from of old.”
However, in our prayers, we must also give God the freedom to answer the way He deems fit.  In the gospel, Jesus made it clear to the Sadducees that they must not impose their earthly understanding of happiness on the next life.  The mistake we often make in prayer is to think that God thinks the way we do.  We often tell God exactly what we need and even teach Him how to answer our prayers.  The Sadducees’ mistake was to conceive heaven as an extension of what we are enjoying on this earth.  Jesus said, “Is not the reason why you go wrong, that you understand neither the scriptures nor the power of God?  For when they rise from the dead, men and women do not marry; no, they are like the angels in heaven.”  So we should pray but God knows better than us what we need and how He should help us.   We must trust Him.  “He guides the humble in the right path, He teaches his way to the poor.” 
In the final analysis, heaven is not so much about having our prayers answered with respect to riches, health and the good things of this life.  Heaven is beyond any earthly expectations. “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him.”  Vatican II teaches, “We do not know the time for the consummation of the earth and of humanity, nor do we know how all things will be transformed. As deformed by sin, the shape of this world will pass away; but we are taught that God is preparing a new dwelling place and a new earth where justice will abide, and whose blessedness will answer and surpass all the longings for peace which spring up in the human heart. Then, with death overcome, the sons of God will be raised up in Christ, and what was sown in weakness and corruption will be invested with incorruptibility. Enduring with charity and its fruits, all that creation which God made on man’s account will be unchained from the bondage of vanity.”  (Gaudium et Spes 39)
Indeed, what counts at the end of the day is love and relationship.  These will see us through in this life and the next.  When we have love and support from our loved ones, especially our spouse and our children or friends, we can go through any trial in life with hope and confidence.  And better still, if our intimate friend is our Lord Jesus Christ.  St Paul said, “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  (Rom 8:37-39)



Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment