Tuesday 7 May 2019

FACTORS THAT ASSIST THE GROWTH OF FAITH

20190508 FACTORS THAT ASSIST THE GROWTH OF FAITH


08 MAY, 2019, Wednesday, 3rd Week of Easter
Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: White.

First reading
Acts 8:1-8 ©

They went from place to place, preaching the Good News
That day a bitter persecution started against the church in Jerusalem, and everyone except the apostles fled to the country districts of Judaea and Samaria.
  There were some devout people, however, who buried Stephen and made great mourning for him.
  Saul then worked for the total destruction of the Church; he went from house to house arresting both men and women and sending them to prison.
  Those who had escaped went from place to place preaching the Good News. One of them was Philip who went to a Samaritan town and proclaimed the Christ to them. The people united in welcoming the message Philip preached, either because they had heard of the miracles he worked or because they saw them for themselves. There were, for example, unclean spirits that came shrieking out of many who were possessed, and several paralytics and cripples were cured. As a result there was great rejoicing in that town.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 65(66):1-7 ©
Cry out with joy to God, all the earth.
or
Alleluia!
Cry out with joy to God all the earth,
  O sing to the glory of his name.
O render him glorious praise.
  Say to God: ‘How tremendous your deeds!
Cry out with joy to God, all the earth.
or
Alleluia!
Because of the greatness of your strength
  your enemies cringe before you.
Before you all the earth shall bow;
  shall sing to you, sing to your name!’
Cry out with joy to God, all the earth.
or
Alleluia!
Come and see the works of God,
  tremendous his deeds among men.
He turned the sea into dry land,
  they passed through the river dry-shod.
Cry out with joy to God, all the earth.
or
Alleluia!
Let our joy then be in him;
  he rules for ever by his might.
His eyes keep watch over the nations:
  let rebels not rise against him.
Cry out with joy to God, all the earth.
or
Alleluia!

Gospel Acclamation
Jn10:27
Alleluia, alleluia!
The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice, 
says the Lord, 
I know them and they follow me.
Alleluia!
Or:
cf.Jn6:40
Alleluia, alleluia!
It is my Father’s will, says the Lord,
that whoever believes in the Son shall have eternal life,
and that I shall raise him up on the last day.
Alleluia!

Gospel
John 6:35-40 ©

It is my Father's will that whoever sees the Son should have eternal life
Jesus said to the crowd:
‘I am the bread of life.
He who comes to me will never be hungry;
he who believes in me will never thirst.
But, as I have told you,
you can see me and still you do not believe.
All that the Father gives me will come to me,
and whoever comes to me I shall not turn him away;
because I have come from heaven, not to do my own will,
but to do the will of the one who sent me.
Now the will of him who sent me
is that I should lose nothing of all that he has given to me,
and that I should raise it up on the last day.
Yes, it is my Father’s will
that whoever sees the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life,
and that I shall raise him up on the last day.’


FACTORS THAT ASSIST THE GROWTH OF FAITH

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ ACTS 8:1-8PSALM 66:1-7JOHn 6:35-40 ]
It is God’s desire to save us all.  This is what the Lord says in the gospel.  “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I shall not turn him away; because I have come from heaven, not to do my own will, but to do the will of the one who sent me. Now the will of him who sent me is that I should lose nothing of all that he has given to me, and that I should raise it up on the last day.”  This is what St Paul also wrote, “This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”  (1 Tim 2:3f)  Salvation is purely the work of God and His graciousness.
But salvation, although the pure grace of God, requires our human response in faith.  “Yes, it is my Father’s will that whoever sees the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and that I shall raise him up on the last day.”  It is faith in Jesus as the Son of the Father who comes to show us the way to life that saves us.  Jesus’ coming was to reveal the Father’s love for us.  He was more than Moses who gave them bread from heaven.  The miracle of loaves that Jesus performed earlier on not only showed that He was greater than Moses, but the giving of the bread, although from the Father, was realized in Him.  Hence, Jesus not only gave us bread to nourish us but He is the Bread of Life Himself that sustains us and gives us eternal life.  “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never thirst.”
How can we help someone to come to faith?  Indeed, there are many signs for faith if we are humble enough to ask for God’s grace to recognize them.  Jesus said, “But, as I have told you, you can see me and still you do not believe.”  The Jews saw the miraculous sign in the multiplication of loaves.  But they were not able to believe in Jesus.  They were still asking for signs to believe.  Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.”  (Jn 6:26)  “So they said to him, ‘What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing?  Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’  Then Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven.”  (Jn 6:30-32)  Indeed, many of us can see the miracles happening in our lives, yet we still do not believe.  We can see the signs but miss out on the significance.  This was why Emmanuel Kant wrote, “perception without conception is blind while conception without perception is empty.
Humility is the pre-requisite for faith.  We read of Philip who went to preach to the Samaritans.  In a land where the people had fallen into syncretism, incorporating the faith of the pagans, indulging in occult practices and magic, dabbling with spirits, Philip showed them that the Christian faith is not about the worship of spirits but faith in Christ.  As a consequence, “unclean spirits that came shrieking out of many who were possessed, and several paralytics and cripples were cured. There was great rejoicing in that town as a result.”  They were humble enough to abandon their pagan practices when they saw the miracles that Philip performed.  Even Simon the magician repented of his deceptive acts.  He was a sorcerer who practiced magic and misled the people into believing that he was someone powerful. “After being baptized, he stayed constantly with Philip and was amazed when he saw the signs and great miracles that took place.”  (Acts 8:101113)  So it is faith in Jesus that brought about the miracles that give true liberation.  Those who apparently do good using the power of the evil spirits lend themselves only to possession.
Another way to inspire faith is the witnessing of the disciples of Christ in the face of persecution.  We read that during the persecution, when Saul “worked for the total destruction of the Church…those who had escaped went from place to place preaching the Good News.”  Instead of being cowed by the persecution, they escaped in order to spread the gospel to other parts of the country.  This is the irony of religious persecution.  The more the enemies of the gospel sought to stifle the truth, the further the good news spread.  God used Saul as an instrument to force the early Christians out of their comfortable niche they created for themselves so that the gospel would not be confined to a small little group of like-minded people.  Jesus wanted the gospel to be preached to all the nations.
That is why we should never be afraid of persecution.  In fact, the current scandals happening in the Church, the confusion among our peoples, and the opposition and criticisms we receive will help the Church to grow stronger, purer and wiser.  What is considered disastrous, if seen positively, can be a means for us to strengthen our faith.  Those who stand firm in the face of persecution are those who truly have faith.  Those who leave us are those whose faith is nominal and weak in the first place.  If we have faith in Jesus as our Lord and God, and that He is with the Church that He founded and promised to be with her until the end of time and that “the gates of Hades will not prevail against it” (cf Mt 28:2016:18), then no matter what happens to the Church, we will stand by her, defend her, purify her, strengthen her and not desert her!  Those who desert the Church simply show that their faith is not founded on Christ but on the institution.
Of course, this is not to say that the holiness of religious leaders is not an important factor in growing the faith.  Indeed, the witnessing of the religious leaders was very critical for the disciples of Christ.  We read that when “a bitter persecution started against the church in Jerusalem…everyone except the apostles fled to the country districts of Judaea and Samaria.”  The religious leaders did not flee from persecution but stayed put to protect the faith and those who stayed behind.  It was important that the leaders were courageous in remaining behind to provide stability to the Christians.  This was what the Lord said about the Good Shepherd who lays down his life for the sheep.  “The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep.  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep.”  (Jn 10:13-15)  It is equally true today as well.  Very often, if the parish is no longer vibrant, it is not because the people have no faith but they have lost their faith due to the fact that they do not have a good shepherd to show the way.  But if they have a caring, selfless, hardworking, humble, passionate and collaborative leader, the people will also be inspired to give themselves generously as well.
In the final analysis, there is no way to grow in faith unless we come to Jesus, the bread of life.  “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never thirst.”  Faith can grow to the extent we are united with Jesus in mind and heart.  Being in communion with Jesus is the key to remaining strong in our faith.  The Lord has made it clear to us, “Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.”  (Jn 15:4) Unless we eat His flesh and drink His blood, we have no share in the life of Christ and in His Church.   Therefore, to stay strong in the face of persecution and find strength in Christian witnessing, we, like the early Christians, need to gather together to celebrate the Eucharist, hear the Word of God, share our faith stories, give testimonies on how God has been working in our lives, and give praise to God together.  Only by staying within the community of faith, can our faith remain firm and strong even when the Church is under attack or purification.   “Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful. And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”  (Heb 10:23-25)

Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment