Thursday 9 May 2019

POWER OF THE MISSION COMES FROM CHRIST WHO LIVES IN US

20190510 POWER OF THE MISSION COMES FROM CHRIST WHO LIVES IN US

Readings at Mass

Liturgical Colour: White.

First reading
Acts 9:1-20 ©

This man is my chosen instrument to bring my name before the pagans
Saul was still breathing threats to slaughter the Lord’s disciples. He had gone to the high priest and asked for letters addressed to the synagogues in Damascus, that would authorise him to arrest and take to Jerusalem any followers of the Way, men or women, that he could find.
  Suddenly, while he was travelling to Damascus and just before he reached the city, there came a light from heaven all round him. He fell to the ground, and then he heard a voice saying, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ ‘Who are you, Lord?’ he asked, and the voice answered, ‘I am Jesus, and you are persecuting me. Get up now and go into the city, and you will be told what you have to do.’ The men travelling with Saul stood there speechless, for though they heard the voice they could see no one. Saul got up from the ground, but even with his eyes wide open he could see nothing at all, and they had to lead him into Damascus by the hand. For three days he was without his sight, and took neither food nor drink.
  A disciple called Ananias who lived in Damascus had a vision in which he heard the Lord say to him, ‘Ananias!’ When he replied, ‘Here I am, Lord’, the Lord said, ‘You must go to Straight Street and ask the house of Judas for someone called Saul, who comes from Tarsus. At this moment he is praying, having had a vision of a man called Ananias coming in and laying hands on him to give him back his sight.’
  When he heard that, Ananias said, ‘Lord, several people have told me about this man and all the harm he has been doing to your saints in Jerusalem. He has only come here because he holds a warrant from the chief priests to arrest everybody who invokes your name.’ The Lord replied, ‘You must go all the same, because this man is my chosen instrument to bring my name before pagans and pagan kings and before the people of Israel; I myself will show him how much he himself must suffer for my name.’ Then Ananias went. He entered the house, and at once laid his hands on Saul and said, ‘Brother Saul, I have been sent by the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on your way here so that you may recover your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.’ Immediately it was as though scales fell away from Saul’s eyes and he could see again. So he was baptised there and then, and after taking some food he regained his strength.
  He began preaching in the synagogues, ‘Jesus is the Son of God.’

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 116(117) ©
Go out to the whole world; proclaim the Good News.
or
Alleluia!
O praise the Lord, all you nations,
  acclaim him all you peoples!
Go out to the whole world; proclaim the Good News.
or
Alleluia!
Strong is his love for us;
  he is faithful for ever.
Go out to the whole world; proclaim the Good News.
or
Alleluia!

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Lk24:46,26
Alleluia, alleluia!
It was ordained that the Christ should suffer
and rise from the dead,
and so enter into his glory.
Alleluia!
Or:
Jn6:56
Alleluia, alleluia!
He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood
lives in me, and I live in him,
says the Lord.
Alleluia!

Gospel
John 6:52-59 ©

My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink
The Jews started arguing with one another: ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’ they said. Jesus replied:
‘I tell you most solemnly,
if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood,
you will not have life in you.
Anyone who does eat my flesh and drink my blood
has eternal life,
and I shall raise him up on the last day.
For my flesh is real food
and my blood is real drink.
He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood
lives in me
and I live in him.
As I, who am sent by the living Father,
myself draw life from the Father,
so whoever eats me will draw life from me.
This is the bread come down from heaven;
not like the bread our ancestors ate:
they are dead,
but anyone who eats this bread will live for ever.’
He taught this doctrine at Capernaum, in the synagogue.



10 MAY, 2019, Friday, 3rd Week of Easter
POWER OF THE MISSION COMES FROM CHRIST WHO LIVES IN US

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ Acts 9:1-20PS 117:1-2John 6:52-59 ]
Why are Catholics encouraged to attend daily mass and not just Sunday mass?  It is in order that we draw strength from the Lord.  Otherwise, how can we carry on with our daily life with the wisdom and love of our Lord?  Even Jesus Himself said, “I, who am sent by the living Father, myself draw life from the Father.”  Jesus was conscious that without His intimacy and communion with His Father, there would be no mission or ministry.  After all, He was conscious that He was to present the Father to us.  “Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves.”  (Jn 14:11)
We who have been sent by the Lord to continue His mission should also be dependent on Him.  The theological principle of sending is that the one who is sent must find strength and authority from the one who sends him.  At the commissioning, the Lord said to the apostles, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” Then “he breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit’.”  (Jn 20:21f)  For this reason, Jesus could say to His disciples, “Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.”  (Lk 10:16)  The Holy Spirit identifies us with Jesus because the Spirit of Jesus lives in us.  We become one with Jesus because He lives in us.
But how does the Spirit of Jesus live in us so that Jesus is one with us?  Eating His body and drinking His blood is the way in which we enter into the life of Jesus and His Holy Spirit dwell in us. Jesus said, “I tell you most solemnly, if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you will not have life in you. Anyone who does eat my flesh and drink my blood has eternal life, and I shall raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood lives in me and I live in him.”    Jesus lives in us when we receive Him into our lives.
This doctrine of the body of Christ which St Paul expounds in 1 Cor 12:12-31 has its basis in the Eucharistic doctrine propounded by our Lord in the gospel.  He wrote, “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.  For in the one Spirit we were all baptized into one body – Jews or Greeks, slaves or free – and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.”  (1 Cor 12:12f) Indeed, we are one body in Christ and Christ is the head of the Church.  “He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything.”  (1 Cor 12:18)
This realization of St Paul that we are the body of Christ came from his own personal encounter with the Lord.  We read in the first reading that on his way to Damascus, the Lord appeared to Paul in a dazzling light and said to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?  I am Jesus, and you are persecuting me.”  Jesus in no uncertain terms identified Himself with the Christians whom Paul was persecuting.   To hurt the Christians was to hurt the Lord.  Jesus could only make this claim because He lived in the Christians through the Eucharist that they received.  The Lord dwelt in them and they in Him.  Not only did the Lord identify Himself with the Christians, He also identified Himself in a special way with those in need.  In the Last Judgement, the Lord said, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”  (Mt 25:40) The early Christians, recognizing that they were family and all belonged to Christ, claimed no “private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common.” (Acts 4:32)
To strengthen this doctrine of the Body of Christ, we have Ananias who was sent by the Lord to affirm Paul of his brotherhood with Christ and His body.  “He entered the house, and at once laid his hands on Saul and said, ‘Brother Saul, I have been sent by the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on your way here so that you may recover your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit’. Immediately it was as though scales fell away from Saul’s eyes and he could see again. So he was baptised there.” Saul was called a “brother” and was baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit.  Through baptism, we enter into the communion of saints and become a member of Christ’s body, the Church.
Only with this vision, was St Paul sent out to be the apostle of our Lord.  “After taking some food he regained his strength.  He began preaching in the synagogues, ‘Jesus is the Son of God’.”  Indeed, the food that St Paul needed was not just material food but the spiritual food of the Eucharist.  As the Lord said to Ananias, “this man is my chosen instrument to bring my name before pagans and pagan kings and before the people of Israel; I myself will show him how much he himself must suffer for my name.”  Without the strength that came from his personal encounter with the Risen Lord and the Christians, the head and body of Christ, he would have lacked the strength to remain steadfast in his ministry.
Paul knew that partaking of His body and blood is not just a superstitious ritual that one goes through when we celebrate the Eucharist.  He said, “For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.”  (1 Cor 11:26)  To share in the life of Christ, it entails that we are ready to offer our body and our blood in union with our Lord for the salvation of humanity, in service and in love.  Indeed, when the Church encourages us to receive the Eucharist daily, she is not asking us to merely perform the ritual of attending mass and receiving the Eucharist.  Such a ritualistic exercise will not change our lives radically and will bear no real fruits in our lives.
Indeed, partaking of the bread from heaven is more than just eating His flesh and drinking His blood; it is also to recognize that Jesus is the Bread of life.  Jesus is the Word of God, the manna that came down from heaven.  “This is the bread come down from heaven; not like the bread our ancestors ate: they are dead, but anyone who eats this bread will live for ever.’ He taught this doctrine at Capernaum, in the synagogue.”  In other words, Jesus is the Word of God in person, in the flesh.  We are called to encounter Jesus not just sacramentally in the flesh but His Word also.  This explains why the Eucharist is the Real Presence of our Lord in a par excellence manner.  Jesus is not just present in the bread and wine but He is also present when the scriptures are read and preached.
Partaking of His body and blood brings us into full communion with the Lord in mind and heart.  We are called to receive the entire person of Jesus.  Reducing Jesus to the Word of God alone would be to reduce Jesus to a cerebral relationship.  We communicate with a person both through words and deeds.  So it is important that we hear the Word of God first so that we can then recognize as Saul did, that Jesus is the Word of God.  This explains why the Church in Vatican II teaches, “For this reason Jesus perfected revelation by fulfilling it through his whole work of making Himself present and manifesting Himself: through His words and deeds, His signs and wonders, but especially through His death and glorious resurrection from the dead and final sending of the Spirit of truth.”  (Dei Verbum 4)  It is the entire person of our Lord that communicates God’s love and plan to us.
Hence, if we want to go out to the whole world to proclaim the gospel, we must be able to feel with the psalmist who says, “Strong is his love for us; he is faithful for ever.”  It is only in Christ, sharing in His life and love, through the Eucharist, the bread of life, His Word and His person, that we can find strength, encouragement, empowerment, wisdom, enlightenment and His presence at work in us.   We are called not just to labour for the Lord but more importantly, to let the Spirit of Jesus work in and through us.

Written by The Most Rev William Goh, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment