Wednesday 3 December 2014

20140808 FINDING LIFE IN THE CROSS AND THROUGH SELF-DENIAL

20140808 FINDING LIFE IN THE CROSS AND THROUGH SELF-DENIAL     


Reading 1, Nahum 2:1, 3; 3:1-3, 6-7

1 To Judah See on the mountains the feet of the herald! 'Peace!' he proclaims. Judah, celebrate your feasts, carry out your vows, for Belial will never pass through you again; he has been utterly destroyed.
3 (For Yahweh has restored the vine of Jacob, yes, the vine of Israel, although the plunderers had plundered them, although they had snapped off their vine-shoots!)
1 Disaster to the city of blood, packed throughout with lies, stuffed with booty, where plundering has no end!
2 The crack of the whip! The rumble of wheels! Galloping horse, jolting chariot,
6 I shall pelt you with filth, I shall shame you and put you in the pillory.
7 Then all who look at you will shrink from you and say, 'Nineveh has been ruined!' Who will mourn for her? Where would I find people to comfort you?


Responsorial Psalm, Deuteronomy 32:35-36, 39, 41

35 Vengeance is mine, I will pay them back, for the time when they make a false step. For the day of their ruin is close, doom is rushing towards them, for he will see to it that their power fails. that neither serf nor free man remains.
36 (For Yahweh will see his people righted, he will take pity on his servants.)
39 See now that I, I am he, and beside me there is no other god. It is I who deal death and life; when I have struck, it is I who heal (no one can rescue anyone from me).
41 When I have whetted my flashing sword, I shall enforce justice, I shall return vengeance to my foes, I shall take vengeance on my foes.


Gospel, Matthew 16:24-28

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me.
25 Anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it.
26 What, then, will anyone gain by winning the whole world and forfeiting his life? Or what can anyone offer in exchange for his life?
27 'For the Son of man is going to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will reward each one according to his behaviour.
28 In truth I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of man coming with his kingdom.'
FINDING LIFE IN THE CROSS AND THROUGH SELF-DENIAL     
SCRIPTURE READINGS: NAHUM 2:1-3:3-7; MT 16:24-28
http://www.universalis.com/20140808/mass.htm
Everyone wants to live but more than just being physically alive, we want to find the true meaning of life so that we can live fully.  No one wants to live an unfulfilled and aimless life.  But how can we find life?  All are seeking for life but in different ways.  The world tells us that to find life, we must enjoy ourselves by having all the pleasures that this world can give, have things done our way, be honored, loved, known and be glorified.

Yet in today’s gospel, Jesus gives us a different way to find life.  He said, “If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me. For anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it. What, then, will a man gain if he wins the whole world and ruins his life? Or what has a man to offer in exchange for his life?”   To find life, we have to lose it by self-denial and take up the crosses that come our way.  How can we find life in this manner?  Who wants to suffer in life?  This seems ridiculous and appears to contradict our goal.

Of course it might be true that if we deny ourselves and follow after Jesus in carrying our crosses, we might be assured of eternal life.  Indeed, only when we destroy our selfishness and remove sins from our life can we be ready to meet the Lord.  It is for this reason that in my sufferings in the ministry, I always see them in view of the life hereafter.  I live in the awareness that I could depart from this world any time.  And so I want to be ready and be prepared, lest His summon comes.  Hence, I try to life a holy and righteous life, doing His will as faithfully as I can, doing what is right so that my conscience will be clear when I come before the Lord for judgment.

However, does it mean therefore that this life is but a life in the valley of tears?  Is it a life of punishment and suffering without real happiness?  If that were the case, some people say that the next life is not assured, let me enjoy this life first in case there is nothing for me in the next.  Certainly not!  By living a disciplined life, a life of mortification, I have already experienced great joy.  By giving up my freedom and pleasures for others, I find an even greater joy and happiness that money and human pleasures cannot give.

The joy of a mortified life is different from that of the world.  I remember what St Ignatius himself discovered.  For during his convalescence, he could only spend his time reading spiritual books as no worldly books could be found.  However he found that by reading such spiritual books, his thoughts tended to dwell on them and the joy lasted longer than when he merely read worldly books, which could only give him some pleasure, lasting as long as he was in it.  Furthermore, after the pleasure was over, he felt empty and depressed.  Whereas after reading spiritual books, the joy was sustained.  This experience helped him to realize the difference between the good and bad spirit.

In the same way too, although carrying the cross and practicing mortifications is not a pleasurable thing in itself, yet it brings joy and lasting joy.  As the first reading says, it brings peace.  Mortification and penance increase our capacity to love; strengthen our will, discipline the use of our senses, keeping them in control. In the context of the Israelites in exile, going through the purification process, such words from the prophet gave them encouragement; that God will restore Israel by punishing Assyria through the Babylonians.  Indeed, as Helen Keller said, “Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”

Truly, when I overcome my attachment or bondage to weaknesses, I find joy.  When I read the bible, even after the reading, my thoughts and heart are filled with joy at the inspiration and consolation I received.  Whereas when I watch a movie, I almost immediately forget what I watched, and the joy ends with the pleasure of watching.  For worldly things, the enjoyment and pleasure stays as long as it lasts, but for spiritual delights, it continues even when the event is over.  For this reason, Jesus in the gospel said, “I tell you solemnly, there are some of these standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming with his kingdom.”  Indeed, anyone of us who overcomes his/her weaknesses and slavery is filled with a joy that lasts longer than when giving in to his/her passions.  So long as we share in a life that is given for others in service and love, we never see death in this life or the next.  Our lives will always be one of great joy, peace and freedom in love.

So it is within this context, that we need to reconsider the need for mortifications and the carrying of the cross in our lives.  When seen in the right perspective, self-denial does bring true joy and liberation even though it is carrying the cross.  True joy is sanctification of life, which is what it means to follow Jesus as is commanded of us in the gospel.  This is the paradox of true meaning in life.

WRITTEN BY THE MOST REV WILLIAM GOH

ARCHBISHOP OF SINGAPORE
© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment