Tuesday 2 December 2014

20141007 OUR LADY STAR OF THE NEW EVANGELIZATION

20141007 OUR LADY STAR OF THE NEW EVANGELIZATION 

First reading
Galatians 1:13-24 ©

You must have heard of my career as a practising Jew, how merciless I was in persecuting the Church of God, how much damage I did to it, how I stood out among other Jews of my generation, and how enthusiastic I was for the traditions of my ancestors.
  Then God, who had specially chosen me while I was still in my mother’s womb, called me through his grace and chose to reveal his Son in me, so that I might preach the Good News about him to the pagans. I did not stop to discuss this with any human being, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were already apostles before me, but I went off to Arabia at once and later went straight back from there to Damascus. Even when after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days, I did not see any of the other apostles; I only saw James, the brother of the Lord, and I swear before God that what I have just written is the literal truth. After that I went to Syria and Cilicia, and was still not known by sight to the churches of Christ in Judaea, who had heard nothing except that their one-time persecutor was now preaching the faith he had previously tried to destroy; and they gave glory to God for me.

Psalm
Psalm 138:1-3,13-15 ©

Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.
O Lord, you search me and you know me,
  you know my resting and my rising,
  you discern my purpose from afar.
You mark when I walk or lie down,
  all my ways lie open to you.
Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.
For it was you who created my being,
  knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I thank you for the wonder of my being,
  for the wonders of all your creation.
Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.
Already you knew my soul,
  my body held no secret from you
when I was being fashioned in secret
  and moulded in the depths of the earth.
Lead me, O Lord, in the path of life eternal.

Gospel Acclamation           Jn15:15

Alleluia, alleluia!
I call you friends, says the Lord,
because I have made known to you
everything I have learnt from my Father.
Alleluia!

Or        Lk11:28

Alleluia, alleluia!
Happy are those
who hear the word of God
and keep it.
Alleluia!

Gospel           Luke 10:38-42 ©

Jesus came to a village, and a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. She had a sister called Mary, who sat down at the Lord’s feet and listened to him speaking. Now Martha who was distracted with all the serving said, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister is leaving me to do the serving all by myself? Please tell her to help me.’ But the Lord answered: ‘Martha, Martha,’ he said ‘you worry and fret about so many things, and yet few are needed, indeed only one. It is Mary who has chosen the better part; it is not to be taken from her.’


OUR LADY STAR OF THE NEW EVANGELIZATION 
SCRIPTURE READINGS: : AC 1:12-14; LUKE 1:26-38
http://www.universalis.com/20141006/mass.1.htm
At the beginning of my episcopal ministry, I consciously included Mary, the first evangelizer, to be or guide and inspiration in the work of the New Evangelization.  This is expressed both in my crest and also my anthem, Ut Vivant.  My devotion to Mary is an integral and essential aspect of my vocation.  In the first place, my involvement in serving the church sprung from my love for our blessed mother.  She has been the one who has guided me all my life.  Without doubt, it must be said that my priestly calling sprang from my love for our Blessed Mother and my devotion to her from the age of 8 years old and through my teenage years in school, to my aspiration to become a priest.  And if I were to look back at my life as a seminarian, priest and bishop, I know it was through Mary’s guiding hand and support that I have managed to remain committed to my ministry without losing enthusiasm, but rather growing from strength to strength.  The truth is, no Evangelization can take off without turning to Mary who is the Star of the New Evangelization.
Why is she called the Star of the New Evangelization?  Long before the inventions of science, the star was used to be the guide for sailors and for people to find their direction.  Thus, it was a guide for the Magi in their wild estimation of the birth of the Messiah.  So Mary, as the Star, obviously is the one that leads us to Jesus, the Rising Sun.  No one could do better than Mary the mother of Jesus.   How, then, is she the star to Jesus the Son of God, the light of the world?  She shows us how to respond to God’s call to be the messenger of the Good News.
To be an evangelizer, we must firstly be the recipient of the Good News ourselves. This is the first prerequisite.  Jesus is the Eternal Word of the Father.  We must be hearers of the Word before we can proclaim to others.  Listening to the Lord attentively like Mary is a critical and necessary step for the work of Evangelization.  Unless we are moved and inspired and converted by the Word of God, we cannot proclaim to others.   This is the real temptation.  Many of us have not yet been salted by the Word of God but are trying to evangelize others.   We can’t give what we have not got.  Evangelization must begin with the evangelizers.
We must first experience the joy of the gospel.  The Good News is good only because it brings great joy.  This was how the angels announced the message of the birth of the Saviour when they told the shepherds.  That was how Mary announced the message to Elizabeth as well.  She exclaimed, “My soul magnifies the Lord for He that is mighty has done great things for me.”  And Elizabeth and John the Baptist were so filled with joy that he leapt in the womb of Elizabeth.  When the Lord appeared to the disciples after His shameful death on the cross, we are told that when the disciples saw the Lord, they were filled with joy.  So from beginning to the end, the message has always been one of Joy. So the gospel must always be received as such so that we can announce the gospel with joy.
What is this joy if not the gift of Jesus to us as our saviour?  The Good News is not reducible to a set of doctrines or even rituals.  It is about Jesus the Son of God who has come to save us from our sins.  It is about the unconditional mercy and love of God our Father in the gift of His Son, Jesus.  Evangelization is not indoctrination but the Good News of what God has done for us in Jesus.   The Good News is essentially about a person, Jesus our Lord and savior, who came to give us life to the fullest by His life, teaching, passion, death and resurrection.  In Him we find our identity and destiny.  In Him we find life and conquer sin and death.  Mary teaches us in the work of the New Evangelization to help people to find Jesus who was lost at the Temple.
Secondly, from Mary, we see the urgency of the work of the New Evangelization.  Upon receiving the good news that her cousin was pregnant with the precursor, John the Baptist, Mary hurried to Elizabeth to announce the Good News and to celebrate it with her.  She did not wait any longer than was necessary.  When we receive the Good News, we must share first and foremost with those whom we love.  Have we shared the Good News with our loved ones and our friends?  Or have we been speaking only of mundane things, such as about the latest restaurant or café in town, but never share what our faith in Christ has done for us?
Thirdly, this Good News is to be announced both by words and deeds of charity.  Mary did not simply proclaim the greatness of God in the Magnificat.  She demonstrated her joy in the Lord by going out of the way to help Elizabeth in her pregnancy.   Then again, at the wedding at Cana, she was sensitive to the predicament her hosts were facing when they ran short of wine.   She took courage to ask Jesus to anticipate His hour of glory even though His time had not yet come.  She taught us compassion and forgiveness even of our enemies.  We must reach out to them in charity.   In fact, in the scriptures, she witnessed less by her words but mainly by her deeds and the way she lived.   She hardly spoke in the scriptures but she would quietly support Jesus in His ministry.  She would appear again only at the end of His ministry at the Cross and at Pentecost.
Fourthly, Mary was ready to take risks in the proclamation of the Good News.  Surely, she was aware that no one would believe her, not even Joseph.  But against all odds, she was ready to take risks for the love of God.  She said “yes” to God’s call, not knowing how it could be possible and what would happen to her.  She was ready to take risks in crossing the hill to visit Elizabeth who was in her old age even though she herself was now pregnant.  She took the risk of carrying the cross after the Lord when all His disciples abandoned Him on His way to Calvary.  Whilst all the disciples, save for John, abandoned Jesus, she bravely stood at the cross of Jesus, supporting Him all the way, sharing His disgrace and suffering. She showed us that this work requires us to suffer with Jesus and a sword will pierce our hearts when we have to sacrifice for the good of our people, especially in standing up for the truth and being prophets of the Good News.  She took the risk of staying with the disciples to encourage them in prayer at the Upper Room.
Finally, she taught us that the work of the New Evangelization cannot be done alone.   Like the apostles, we must gather together as Church, as members of His body.  We do not evangelize alone but with Jesus as our leader and our brothers and sisters.  This was why, Jesus sent the disciples out two by two.  Most of all, for this work to be effective, it must be accomplished in the power of the Holy Spirit.  Like St Paul, we need to proclaim the Good News in the power of the Holy Spirit, not through human philosophy.  This explains why she was with the disciples in the Upper Room praying for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit before they began their mission.
Indeed, in the final analysis, the work of the New Evangelization must be rooted in a spirit of prayer and penance.   Necessarily, we need to conceive Jesus in our hearts if we are to give birth in the hearts of others.  We need time to meditate and contemplate.  We need to enter into the joy of the Good News.  Without this constant contemplation of the Word, we cannot deepen our love for the Lord and the truth and joy of the Good News.  Indeed, Mary pondered at every event of her life and that of her son from the incarnation to His birth, right up to Pentecost.  She shows us the necessity of prayer, especially contemplative prayer.  Whenever we see Mary in the gospel, we see her in the spirit of prayer.
Pope St John Paul II reminds us in his apostolic letter, the necessity of holiness before undertaking any pastoral planning through personal contemplative, communal and intercessory prayers.  Today, as we celebrate the Feast of the Holy Rosary, we want to respond to Pope John Paul’s exhortation to contemplate on the face of Christ and to contemplate His face most effectively with Mary at our side.  It was for this reason too that he wrote the apostolic letter on the rosary and included the luminous mysteries to give a full and complete contemplation on the life of Christ.  Prayers must be accompanied by fasting and penance to be efficacious as our Lady would tell us again and again.  In the New Testament, our Lord and the apostles taught us that great miracles and conversion require us to pray and fast for our ministry.
So, let us put into the deep as Pope John Paul II tells us at the beginning of this new millennium.  This celebration will not be complete if we do not listen to Mary’s exhortation, “Do whatever He tells you to do.”  Upon the invitation to be the Mother of God, her response was firm and yet humble.  Her whole life was to do the will of God the Father.  At the wedding in Cana, she again instructed the people to do what the Lord asked of them.  So much so that Jesus said of her, that not only did she hear the Word of God but that she put it into practice.  For that reason, He added, “whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother, sister and mother.”  Mary is super eminently His mother because she is our teacher of how one should be focused on doing the will of God.  She describes herself as the handmaid of the Lord.  She remains for us the model of one who listens to the Word of God and keeps it. Let us then be like Mary, the servant of the gospel, to our loved ones and to the whole world as we proclaim His love and mercy in words and deeds.  This is how we consecrate ourselves, our family, our parish, our diocese and the country to Mary the star of the New Evangelization, not just words or prayers or actions but our whole lives.

WRITTEN BY THE MOST REV WILLIAM GOH
ARCHBISHOP OF SINGAPORE
© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment