Sunday 13 September 2015

HE PARADOX OF LIFE LIES IN ONE’S FIDELITY TO SELF THROUGH SELF-RENUNCIATION

20150913 THE PARADOX OF LIFE LIES IN ONE’S FIDELITY TO SELF THROUGH SELF-RENUNCIATION
Readings at Mass

First reading
Isaiah 50:5-9 ©
The Lord has opened my ear.
For my part, I made no resistance,
neither did I turn away.
I offered my back to those who struck me,
my cheeks to those who tore at my beard;
I did not cover my face
against insult and spittle.
The Lord comes to my help,
so that I am untouched by the insults.
So, too, I set my face like flint;
I know I shall not be shamed.
My vindicator is here at hand. Does anyone start proceedings against me?
Then let us go to court together.
Who thinks he has a case against me?
Let him approach me.
The Lord is coming to my help,
who will dare to condemn me?

Psalm
Psalm 114:1-6,8-9 ©
I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
I love the Lord for he has heard
  the cry of my appeal;
for he turned his ear to me
  in the day when I called him.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
They surrounded me, the snares of death,
  with the anguish of the tomb;
they caught me, sorrow and distress.
  I called on the Lord’s name.
O Lord, my God, deliver me!
I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
How gracious is the Lord, and just;
  our God has compassion.
The Lord protects the simple hearts;
  I was helpless so he saved me.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
He has kept my soul from death,
  my eyes from tears
  and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord
  in the land of the living.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.

Second reading
James 2:14-18 ©
Take the case, my brothers, of someone who has never done a single good act but claims that he has faith. Will that faith save him? If one of the brothers or one of the sisters is in need of clothes and has not enough food to live on, and one of you says to them, ‘I wish you well; keep yourself warm and eat plenty’, without giving them these bare necessities of life, then what good is that? Faith is like that: if good works do not go with it, it is quite dead.
  This is the way to talk to people of that kind: ‘You say you have faith and I have good deeds; I will prove to you that I have faith by showing you my good deeds – now you prove to me that you have faith without any good deeds to show.’

Gospel Acclamation
Jn14:6
Alleluia, alleluia!
I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, says the Lord;
No one can come to the Father except through me.
Alleluia!
Or
Ga6:14
Alleluia, alleluia!
The only thing I can boast about is the cross of our Lord,
through whom the world is crucified to me, and I to the world.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Mark 8:27-35 ©
Jesus and his disciples left for the villages round Caesarea Philippi. On the way he put this question to his disciples, ‘Who do people say I am?’ And they told him. ‘John the Baptist,’ they said ‘others Elijah; others again, one of the prophets.’ ‘But you,’ he asked ‘who do you say I am?’ Peter spoke up and said to him, ‘You are the Christ.’ And he gave them strict orders not to tell anyone about him.
  And he began to teach them that the Son of Man was destined to suffer grievously, to be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and to be put to death, and after three days to rise again; and he said all this quite openly. Then, taking him aside, Peter started to remonstrate with him. But, turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said to him, ‘Get behind me, Satan! Because the way you think is not God’s way but man’s.’
  He called the people and his disciples to him and said, ‘If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me. For anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.’


THE PARADOX OF LIFE LIES IN ONE’S FIDELITY TO SELF THROUGH SELF-RENUNCIATION

SCRIPTURE READINGS: ISA 50:5-9; JMS 2:14-18; MK 8:27-35
Jesus said, “Anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life … will save it.”  What Jesus meant is that if we want to find life, then we must be true to ourselves to the extent that we are willing to die for our true selves.  To die to self simply means to die to the false self and recover our real and true identity that God has created us to be.  Indeed, this was the case of Jesus. He refused to succumb to the pressures of society and His peers to assume the identity of the person they wanted Him to be. Even His intimate friends, the apostles, tried to impose their image of the Christ on Him. He rejected the kind of glorious Christ they thought He should be. Instead, He insisted on being the suffering Christ, for He knew that “the Son of Man was destined to suffer grievously, to be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and to be put to death.”
To be true to oneself is to be true to God.  The truth is that God has chosen a vocation for each of us.  However, our vocation is only an expression of our self because our identity is more than our function in life.  If Jesus did not accept the many titles given to Him, it was not because the titles do not fit Him, but because He was more than the sum of all the titles. This is also true for us.  No one role or more can qualify our unique being.  We are more than what we are called to do in life.
Nevertheless, the only way we can be faithful to ourselves is to be true to the vocation that God has assigned to us.  Not to do so is to betray ourselves because our vocation is the expression of who we are.  This is quite different from fitting ourselves to a role, especially when that role does not fit us.  The roles we undertake must truly be the expression of who we are; otherwise we become misfits.  But our self-identity must remain unique and the same, even if our roles were to change.  In this way, our self-identity will always survive beyond the roles we have in life, be it as priest, teacher or parent, etc.
The crucial difference between being true to our identity and assuming a role is that our being must express our doing and not vice versa.  Of course, being true to self is not always easy.  The price of fidelity is the cross and even death.  Jesus certainly was expressing His own experience when He said, “If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me.”  Jesus did not command us to take up His cross but our own.  This is because the cross that we have to carry cannot be someone else’s.  This cross can only be ours uniquely, since it is the cross of being true to our identity and ourselves.  Only in this way will we find life.
This has been the path of the suffering servant of Isaiah and Christ Himself. They were ready to face resistance and opposition because they chose to be true to themselves and their mission.  Indeed, we are told that the suffering servant would not budge or quit even when humiliated, insulted and spat upon. Jesus, who is the fulfillment of the Suffering Servant, was resolute and went forward to Jerusalem even though He knew He had to die for being true to His identity as the Messiah, and for the Good News that He was sent to proclaim.  Even when His friends turned against Him, He refused to turn back.  Instead, He resolved to fulfill His Father’s plan.  He would not allow anyone to deter Him.  He refused to quit in the face of the cross.
Like the suffering servant and Christ, we too must set our face like flint.  We must not forget the words of Jesus when He said, “What profit does a man gain if has the whole world but loses his own soul?”  In other words, what is the use of living a life when our interior spirit is dead because we have suppressed our true identity?  Without the spirit, our life is dead even if we are physically alive because we would merely exist.  So what must be done to ensure that we do not fall into such a tragic situation? 
Firstly, we must know ourselves so that we can be true to who we really are.  We must not deceive ourselves into believing ourselves to be what we are not.  Self-knowledge is the first key to fidelity to self. Once we know ourselves, then we would not be so easily influenced by what people say or think of us because we know where we stand and who we are.  But how can we know ourselves?  We can only know ourselves to the extent that we know God and Jesus.  Thus, it is in prayer that we come to discover who we really are.  Like Jesus, the suffering servant of Isaiah, we must always be receptive so that the Lord can open our ears to the word of God.  It was through Jesus’ intimacy with the Father that He came to know His true identity more and more each day.  Indeed, only when the Lord opens our ears can we come to know our true selves.  It is therefore exigent that we spend time in prayer, in communion with God if we are to know our real identity and our vocation.
And what is our true self if not the fact that we are all made to be Good News to others according to our uniqueness and talents?  To be ourselves does not mean that we simply do whatever we want in life.  Nay, to be ourselves means to be a loving self, for that is what we truly are.  That is why Jesus said the cross must be carried for His sake and for the sake of the gospel.  The gospel in this context refers to the good news of unconditional love.  This truth is reiterated in St James’ letter when he emphasized the importance of expressing our faith in concrete works of love and mercy. The failure to live a loving life implies that we are not living the Kingdom life, and thus contradicting ourselves to be people of faith.  Of course, how we express this Kingdom life is another matter because it must be expressed according to our uniqueness.  But the task of loving is common to all.
Secondly, we must find our strength in God, like the way the suffering servant of Isaiah did.  Even though he was insulted, despised and rejected, he remained faithful to his calling because he knew that the Lord would help him.  As he said, “The Lord comes to my help, so that I am untouched by the insults … I know I shall not be shamed.  My vindicator is here at hand.”  Yes, he had absolute confidence that God would stand by him and prove his accusers wrong.  He knew that God would be his vindicator.  Jesus, too, was, confident that God would be faithful to Him.   He knew that even if the people could not accept Him as the suffering Messiah, God would vindicate Him somehow by proving them wrong.  Hence, like the psalmist, it would do us well to say, “I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.”  We can live only if we know that God is present and with us in our struggles to be faithful to ourselves.
Thirdly, we must realize that simply by being true to ourselves is already our vindication.  There is no greater freedom in life than to realize our uniqueness, instead of living somebody else’s life.  By not duplicating others in us, we become the unique person we are meant to be.  We become special not because we pretend or seek to be special, but because God has made us special.  But this happiness is ours only if we dare to be ourselves.
Today, we are called to imitate the lives of those who have been faithful to God and to themselves.  We are not to reproduce their lives in exactly the same way.  Nay, we are only to follow their courage, sincerity, creativity and originality.  In this way, the promise of Jesus that if “anyone who loses his life for the sake of the gospel will save it” becomes a reality.  For the Good News that Jesus comes to proclaim is precisely the fact that we are created to be unique and that God loves us unconditionally.  Only with this realization that God loves us for what we are and what we can be, can we then find life.  To die to ourselves is simply to die to the false images we have of ourselves, or that which society has made us out to be.  Rather, we are called to become more and more of what God has meant us to be so that we can show forth His riches and goodness.
In the final analysis, what is important is that God accepts us.  God alone is our judge and vindicator.  Yes, if God accepts us, we can also accept ourselves.  What does it matter if others do not?  After all, happiness is within us and not without.  If we are happy within, then we will be happy even when others are not happy with us.  By being faithful both to God and to self, such a faith or fidelity can truly be considered a saving faith, as St James told us in his letter.  So if we want to save our lives, then it is imperative that we carry the cross of fidelity to God and to ourselves in imitation of Jesus for the sake of the gospel of unconditional love.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh
Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore
© All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment