Tuesday 3 May 2016

FIDELITY TO THE GOSPEL NECESSITATES THAT WE BE FAITHFUL TO THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

20160503 FIDELITY TO THE GOSPEL NECESSITATES THAT WE BE FAITHFUL TO THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Red.

First reading
1 Corinthians 15:1-8 ©
Brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, the gospel that you received and in which you are firmly established; because the gospel will save you only if you keep believing exactly what I preached to you – believing anything else will not lead to anything.
  Well then, in the first place, I taught you what I had been taught myself, namely that Christ died for our sins, in accordance with the scriptures; that he was buried; and that he was raised to life on the third day, in accordance with the scriptures; that he appeared first to Cephas and secondly to the Twelve. Next he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died; then he appeared to James, and then to all the apostles; and last of all he appeared to me too; it was as though I was born when no one expected it.

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 18:2-5 ©
Their word goes forth through all the earth.
or
Alleluia!
The heavens proclaim the glory of God,
  and the firmament shows forth the work of his hands.
Day unto day takes up the story
  and night unto night makes known the message.
Their word goes forth through all the earth.
or
Alleluia!
No speech, no word, no voice is heard
  yet their span extends through all the earth,
  their words to the utmost bounds of the world.
Their word goes forth through all the earth.
or
Alleluia!

Gospel Acclamation
Jn14:6,9
Alleluia, alleluia!
I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, says the Lord.
Philip, to have seen me is to have seen the Father.
Alleluia!

Gospel
John 14:6-14 ©
Jesus said to Thomas:
‘I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.
No one can come to the Father except through me.
If you know me, you know my Father too.
From this moment you know him and have seen him.’
Philip said, ‘Lord, let us see the Father and then we shall be satisfied.’
  ‘Have I been with you all this time, Philip,’ said Jesus to him ‘and you still do not know me?
‘To have seen me is to have seen the Father,
so how can you say, “Let us see the Father”?
Do you not believe
that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?
The words I say to you I do not speak as from myself:
it is the Father, living in me, who is doing this work.
You must believe me when I say
that I am in the Father and the Father is in me;
believe it on the evidence of this work, if for no other reason.
I tell you most solemnly,
whoever believes in me
will perform the same works as I do myself,
he will perform even greater works,
because I am going to the Father.
Whatever you ask for in my name I will do,
so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If you ask for anything in my name,
I will do it.’


FIDELITY TO THE GOSPEL NECESSITATES THAT WE BE FAITHFUL TO THE APOSTOLIC TRADITION

SCRIPTURE READINGS: [ 1 COR 15:1-8; JN 14: 6-14   ]
Today the Church celebrates the feast of Saints Philip and James.   Not much is known about them. Still, from the scanty texts of scriptures, much can be derived from them. In today’s gospel, St Philip was the one who asked Jesus the ultimate question, namely, the source of origin of all life and love and our existence.  He said to Jesus, “Lord, let us see the Father and then we shall be satisfied.”  Indeed, to know the Father is the quest of every person.  Without knowing our origin and destiny, our hopes are mere human aspirations, and we can only say, “Let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die.”  (1 Cor 15:32)  How pitiful, as St Paul remarked (cf 1Cor15:19).
For this purpose, our Lord has come into the world.  His mission is to show us the Face of His Heavenly Father.  As we know, the Father is pure Spirit and He has no face to show to us.  How can we then behold His countenance if not through Jesus, the incarnated Son of God?  As Jesus told Philip: “To have seen me is to have seen the Father …The words I say to you I do not speak as from myself: it is the Father, living in me, who is doing this work.”  In these words, we see that Jesus’ one desire is to lead us, not so much to Himself per se, but to His Father.  This explains why earlier on, He told St Thomas, “I am the Way, the truth and the Life. No one can come to the Father except through me.  If you know me, you know my Father too.”  To see Jesus is to see the Father.
Why is Jesus the Way, the Truth and the Life to the Father?  This is because He shares the Father’s glory.  In the priestly prayer, He affirmed His true identity when He prayed, “Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.” (Jn 17:5)   And further on, He said, “I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world.  They were yours and you gave them to me.”  (Jn 17:6)  So Jesus can reveal the Father’s love to us simply because He has always been One with the Father and He is identified with the Father in every way.
This claim of Jesus’ divine identity with the Father is established in the resurrection.  That is why we cannot limit faith in the resurrection of Jesus to simply proof that Jesus is still alive, or that because He lives, we can hope in our own resurrection.  We have to go beyond, and draw out the full implications of His resurrection in light of what it means for us, for Jesus Himself and His relationship with His Father.  The scriptures proclaim Jesus’ resurrection by speaking about the Father raising Jesus from the dead in the power of the Holy Spirit, rather than about Jesus rising from the dead. This is to illustrate the point that the Father, by raising Jesus from the dead, is actually endorsing the truth of all that Jesus taught and did when He was on earth.  The resurrection can thus be considered as the Father’s declaration of the authenticity of Jesus’ claim that He is one with Him.  So the resurrection confirms what Jesus said in the gospel, “You must believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; believe it on the evidence of this work, if for no other reason.”
Hence, St Augustine remarked that it is nothing great for Christians to believe that Jesus died.  Even the pagans and the unbelievers believe that Jesus died.  But what makes us truly Christian is that we believe that this criminal, Jesus of Nazareth, has been raised by the Father and that He is alive in our midst here and now.  By His resurrection, Jesus regained the glory that was always His, the glory that He freely stripped Himself of when He emptied Himself to become a man, a slave even unto death.  (Cf Phil 2:6-8)  He is truly therefore the Son of God, the Second Person of the Trinity.   Yes, the Father has “highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”  (Phil 2:9-11)
So, if we have any doubts about Jesus’ assertion that He is “the Way, the Truth and Life” and that no one can come to the Father except through Him alone, then looking at the life, passion, death and resurrection of Jesus, we can no longer doubt that He is our Lord and SaviourThis is the kergyma which St Paul in the second reading was insisting about: “…that Christ died for our sins, in accordance with the scriptures; that he was buried; and that he was raised to life on the third day, in accordance with the scriptures; that he appeared first to Cephas and secondly to the Twelve. Next he appeared to more than five thousand of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died; then he appeared to James, and then to all the apostles; and last of all he appeared to me too; it was as though I was born when no one expected it.”
It is necessary therefore, that we hold to this gospel and only this gospel, which is central to our faith.  As St Paul reminds us.  “…the gospel will save you only if you keep believing exactly what I preached to you – believing anything else will not lead to anything.”  This is a timely reminder, especially for those of us who have difficulty believing the objectivity of Jesus’ resurrection. Indeed, some Christians, under the bent of empirical sciences, have reduced the truth of the resurrection to that of a myth; believing that the resurrection is nothing more than that His cause lives on in us who believe in His message of love.  This is not wrong, but it would be reductionism.  If His cause lives on in us, it is because He is raised and lives in us in the Holy Spirit.  Otherwise only His cause or philosophy lives in us, just as great men leave behind their legacy when they die.
Hence it is not only His cause that continues in our lives, but as Jesus assures us, “I tell you most solemnly, whoever believes in me will perform the same works as I do myself, he will perform even greater works, because I am going to the Father.”  The corollary to believing that Jesus is from the Father is the works He did.  We know that Jesus lives because in and through Him, we can do what He did and even more!  Isn’t this another way of saying that His name is above every name?  This is accentuated when Jesus urged us to trust in Him.  He said, “Whatever you ask for in my name I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask for anything in my name, I will do it.”
But why is it so necessary that Jesus reveals the Father to us?  It is so that we can be in communion with Him and experience His love and mercy!  The priestly prayer of Jesus ended with these words, “Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me.  I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”  (Jn 17:25)
By implication, we who want to be sure of our Faith must also return to the Apostolic testimony which is passed on to us through the Tradition of the Church as it was in the case of St Paul and now preserved by the chosen successors of the Apostles in our bishops.  So being in communion with the Church is the way in which we remain faithful to the teaching of Christ and the foundation of our faith.  Through our communion with His Church, we remain faithful to Christ and one with the Father.
As the living witnesses of Christ, it is incumbent on us to be the messengers of the Gospel to all of humanity.  Like the whole of creation, we, too, must ensure that the Gospel be spread to all the earth.
How can this be done?  What must we do in order that the Gospel is proclaimed to everyone?  We must proclaim that Jesus’ death shows us His Father’s love and that His resurrection establishes Him as Lord and Saviour.  That this claim is true is verified by Christ’s working through His Spirit, the miracles we work, ordinary or extraordinary, by appealing in faith to Jesus’ name in fervent and expectant prayer.  And finally, we become real witnesses of Christ not simply by preaching and working miracles but, most of all, by living a resurrected life of charity, forgiveness and communion.  Yes, we live a transcendent life with our eyes fixed on heaven, even though our feet are firmly on the ground, carrying the cross of purification and self-emptying love in humble service.


Written by The Most Rev William Goh Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment