Wednesday 11 May 2016

THE LIMITS OF DEMOCRACY

20160512 THE LIMITS OF DEMOCRACY

Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: White.

First reading
Acts 22:30,23:6-11 ©
Since the tribune wanted to know what precise charge the Jews were bringing, he freed Paul and gave orders for a meeting of the chief priests and the entire Sanhedrin; then he brought Paul down and stood him in front of them. Now Paul was well aware that one section was made up of Sadducees and the other of Pharisees, so he called out in the Sanhedrin, ‘Brothers, I am a Pharisee and the son of Pharisees. It is for our hope in the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial.’ As soon as he said this a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and Sadducees, and the assembly was split between the two parties. For the Sadducees say there is neither resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit, while the Pharisees accept all three. The shouting grew louder, and some of the scribes from the Pharisees’ party stood up and protested strongly, ‘We find nothing wrong with this man. Suppose a spirit has spoken to him, or an angel?’ Feeling was running high, and the tribune, afraid that they would tear Paul to pieces, ordered his troops to go down and haul him out and bring him into the fortress.
  Next night, the Lord appeared to him and said, ‘Courage! You have borne witness for me in Jerusalem, now you must do the same in Rome.’

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 15:1-2,5,7-11 ©
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
Preserve me, God, I take refuge in you.
  I say to the Lord: ‘You are my God.
O Lord, it is you who are my portion and cup;
  it is you yourself who are my prize.’
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel,
  who even at night directs my heart.
I keep the Lord ever in my sight:
  since he is at my right hand, I shall stand firm.
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
And so my heart rejoices, my soul is glad;
  even my body shall rest in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead,
  nor let your beloved know decay.
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
You will show me the path of life,
  the fullness of joy in your presence,
  at your right hand happiness for ever.
Preserve me, Lord, I take refuge in you.
or
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Jn16:7,13
Alleluia, alleluia!
I will send you the Spirit of truth, says the Lord;
he will lead you to the complete truth.
Alleluia!
Or
Jn17:21
Alleluia, alleluia!
With them in you and you in me,
may they be so completely one
that the world will realise that it was you who sent me,
says the Lord.
Alleluia!

Gospel
John 17:20-26 ©
Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said:
‘Holy Father,
I pray not only for these,
but for those also
who through their words will believe in me.
May they all be one.
Father, may they be one in us,
as you are in me and I am in you,
so that the world may believe it was you who sent me.
I have given them the glory you gave to me,
that they may be one as we are one.
With me in them and you in me,
may they be so completely one
that the world will realise that it was you who sent me
and that I have loved them as much as you loved me.
Father, I want those you have given me
to be with me where I am,
so that they may always see the glory you have given me
because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Father, Righteous One,
the world has not known you,
but I have known you,
and these have known that you have sent me.
I have made your name known to them
and will continue to make it known,
so that the love with which you loved me may be in them,
and so that I may be in them.’


THE LIMITS OF DEMOCRACY


The most challenging task of any leader is to forge unity among those whom he or she has been entrusted to lead.   Indeed, trying to bring people at every level to agree and to work together is a most trying and often frustrating task.  Whether it is the country, organization, church or family, we do not agree on many things.  We hold different views and are not willing to compromise.  More so, when we live in a world of relativism which holds that no view is absolute or true.  As a consequence, there is division and political maneuvering leading to competition, backbiting and even slander.
The Church, although divine, is also human and thus is not spared from such divisions.   That is why the greatest scandal of Christianity is the disunity among Christians, whether among different ecclesial communities or within members of the community.
When we are divided among ourselves, how can we ever be a sign of unity and love in the world?  The whole purpose of Jesus’ coming is to unite us all in one Body and one Church.  This is apparently far from being realized in our Christian communities and in the Church.  We have become counter-witnesses to the gospel.  Our proclamations about love are mere words.  Like the Jews in the first reading, the Jewish leaders in the Sanhedrin, comprising the Pharisees and the Sadducees, were split over the doctrine of the resurrection of the dead.  St Paul tactfully exploited this division in his favour so that he could continue to spread the gospel.
What, then, is the basis for unity?  In the olden days, unity was enforced by an absolute ruler.  A monarchical form of government ensured that the people all worked as one and in unity with the ruler.  The power of the ruler was absolute and his decisions were obeyed by all, even if not accepted.  In such a form of government, unity is much easier to achieve although it gives rise to rebellion in some instances.  However, if the leader is not walking in the truth, does not live an upright life; and fails to see that his power is for the service of his people and their good, he could become abusive and self-serving. Indeed because of abuses of absolute authority, monarchy or dictatorial powers were replaced by democracy.
But is democracy the best way to ensure unity?  Ironically, democracy is rooted in Christianity, which advocates the freedom of the individual, especially the inviolability of his conscience.  But again, such freedom can be abused when exercised irresponsibly. In the face of relativism, in a democratic world, governments are elected on the basis of popularity.  Do we really believe that very voter understands what and who they are supporting?   Do we really believe that every voter is a conscientious voter?  Many are voted into leadership based on promises designed to pander to the whims and fancies of their supporters.  Many make empty promises that cannot be fulfilled.  Some even resort to bribing their voters with money.  With the power of communication, many are gullible and not critical enough to understand the complexities of running a country or any organization, including the Church.
Worse still, those in leadership, for fear of losing popularity and votes, will do what is popular; making policies that generate short term benefits but are disastrous for long term survival of the country or organization.  Instead of ruling the country, they spend all their time trying to win votes.   But why would they care because they know that most likely they will be serving at most one or two terms?   When leaders are no longer focused on doing the right things, both in the immediate term and the future for the people they serve, then democracy will result in leaders no longer leading, but are led by the people.  It will also be reduced to pleasing the people.  Policies will be framed to seek the greatest support, not because they are true or really good for the people, especially in the future.  Decisions will be based on consensus; not on whether it is true or good.  When we are shortsighted, the future of the country will suffer.
It seems ironical that the Church, which advocates freedom of the individual, in her own structure is still hierarchical and absolute.  The Holy Father remains absolute in his powers.  To some extent, the bishop in the diocese is responsible for everything that happens in his diocese.  So too is the parish priest.  Unlike the bishop, all other members are merely advisers but do not have executive powers.  Why did the Church not subject herself to the full range of democracy, that is, making decisions by the majority?  Clearly, in her view, democracy might end up with a rogue leader and a rogue government, as we have seen in some democratic countries.  By the time the damage is done, it would be too late to turn back the clock.
However, this is not to say that the Church is strictly monarchical as in those countries in the past where the monarchy held absolute powers.  The Church, whilst recognizing the final authority of the leaders, particularly the Pope and the bishops, ensures that decisions are not made without proper consultation and dialogue.  So whilst it is possible that Pope, bishops and priests can abuse their powers, this can be mitigated if proper consultation takes place.  However, this is not always done.  When that happens, people become disenchanted with the Church and eventually give up the faith.
So how then can we find unity?  Regardless of whatever form of governance we choose, since both absolute rule and democracy have their limitations, strengths and weaknesses, we need to ground unity not in consensus but in truth and love.  As leaders, unless our decisions and policies are founded on truth and love, we will not be able to always do the right things but instead do the popular things.  It is within this context that we appreciate the fundamental guideline provided by our Lord in the gospel.
Jesus prayed for unity among His disciples but this unity is based on the union of mind and heart with Him.  It is on the same basis as His relationship with the Father.  He said, “Holy Father, I pray not only for these, but for those also who through their words will believe in me. May they all be one. Father, may they be one in us, as you are in me and I am in you, so that the world may believe it was you who sent me.”  Jesus was in complete union with the Father in truth and in love.  For this reason, the Lord prayed, “Father, Righteous One, the world has not known you, but I have known you, and these have known that you sent me. I have made your name known to them and will continue to make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them, and so that I may be in them.”   It is the desire of Jesus that we come to know the Father in truth and in love.  Jesus, in making the name of His Father known to us, reveals the mind and the heart of the Father.  The whole life of Jesus is to reveal the Father’s will and love for us.  That is why Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life; and no one can come to the Father except through Him.  If we want to promote unity, it must be based on truth and on love.  It cannot be the result of consensus and popular votes because man will make decisions for his own interests rather than the wider interests of the community and the future of humanity.  In a world of relativism and individualism, it is about what they want here and now, their pleasures and needs; not others.
Hence, today, as we pray for unity, let us be clear that the leaders we vote to serve us are truly rooted in truth and love; and not in their own interests.  So whether our form of governance is monarchical or democratic, we must constantly seek to do what is right and true and therefore good for now and the future.  We must be courageous in standing up for the truth of the gospel.  If not, we will cause the present and future generations to suffer for the superficial unity we promote, namely, through popular votes.  In countries and organizations including the Church, when the people are ignorant or unenlightened and confused, it is the leader’s task to teach and enlighten them in the truth so that they can exercise their freedom responsibly and most of all, not to be deceived by enemies of truth and love.
As leaders, especially in Christian communities, we must seek to be like St Paul and our Lord.  We must seek the truth and the love of God through intense communion with the Lord in prayer, worship and meditation.   But we must also as one body in Christ put aside all individual and personal preferences for the greater good of the community.  This calls for humility and generosity to allow leaders appointed by God to lead us to further growth by working with and each other in truth, in love and in unity.

Written by The Most Rev William Goh Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment