Monday 8 August 2016

REACHING OUT TO THE LOST SHEEP

20160809 REACHING OUT TO THE LOST SHEEP
Readings at Mass
Liturgical Colour: Green.

First reading
Ezekiel 2:8-3:4 ©
I, Ezekiel, heard a voice speaking. It said, ‘You, son of man, listen to the words I say; do not be a rebel like that rebellious set. Open your mouth and eat what I am about to give you.’ I looked. A hand was there, stretching out to me and holding a scroll. He unrolled it in front of me; it was written on back and front; on it was written ‘lamentations, wailings, meanings.’ He said, ‘Son of man, eat what is given to you; eat this scroll, then go and speak to the House of Israel.’ I opened my mouth; he gave me the scroll to eat and said, ‘Son of man, feed and be satisfied by the scroll I am giving you.’ I ate it, and it tasted sweet as honey.
  Then he said, ‘Son of man, go to the House of Israel and tell them what I have said.’

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 118:14,24,72,103,111,131 ©
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.
I rejoiced to do your will
  as though all riches were mine.
Your will is my delight;
  your statutes are my counsellors.
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.
The law from your mouth means more to me
  than silver and gold.
Your promise is sweeter to my taste
  than honey in the mouth.
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.
Your will is my heritage for ever,
  the joy of my heart.
I open my mouth and I sigh
  as I yearn for your commands.
Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.

Gospel Acclamation
Mt11:25
Alleluia, alleluia!
Blessed are you, Father,
Lord of heaven and earth,
for revealing the mysteries of the kingdom
to mere children.
Alleluia!
Or
Mt11:29
Alleluia, alleluia!
Shoulder my yoke and learn from me,
says the Lord,
for I am gentle and humble in heart.
Alleluia!

Gospel
Matthew 18:1-5,10,12-14 ©
The disciples came to Jesus and said, ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ So he called a little child to him and set the child in front of them. Then he said, ‘I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
  ‘Anyone who welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.
  ‘Tell me. Suppose a man has a hundred sheep and one of them strays; will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hillside and go in search of the stray? I tell you solemnly, if he finds it, it gives him more joy than do the ninety-nine that did not stray at all. Similarly, it is never the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.’


REACHING OUT TO THE LOST SHEEP


It is a fact that our churches are packed with worshippers every Sunday.  Many churches are alive and vibrant with activities and programs.  Priests are kept busy ministering to their parishioners.  Some are overworked and tired. Thanks to the migrants, it seems the Catholic Church is growing in Singapore.  According to government statistics, there are about 1.6 million migrants in Singapore.  Many come from the Philippines, Indonesia and Kerala.  So we can expect that many would be Catholics. It is estimated that we could have at least 150,000 migrant Catholics. If that were so, the rise in attendance at our churches could be due more to the migrants than the growth in the number of local Catholics.
The downside is that when our churches are full, it brings about complacency and a parochial mindset.  We have enough work to do.  Hence, we do not feel the need to reach out beyond our parish boundaries.  Perhaps, we have no more energy left after spending them on those who come to our churches.   Or it could be a feeling that we are growing so much and we have no more space for newcomers anyway.  At the same time, a growing number of Catholics also mean that effective formation of the members is weakened.  Whilst it is true that we might have more Catholics in attendance at our services, we wonder how well formed they are in their faith.   Are they fully alive, committed, empowered and faith-filled with a personal relationship with the Lord?  Or are our pews packed with ritualistic and nominal Catholics who do not really have any fervor in their faith?  Many do not understand their faith, the doctrines or even the liturgy they celebrate. Our young people cannot wait to complete their catechism classes so that they do not have to go for any more lessons.  Ironically, once having received the Sacrament of Confirmation, many young people stop coming to church eventually.  We can be very sure that many of our Catholics have been neglected, hurt, confused, misled and have left to join other denominations or other religions. Those who are nominal in their faith will eventually leave the Church as they do not find purpose, meaning and hope.  We do not have statistics unfortunately, but the number is not small.  Many more have left the Church and given up on God completely and live pagan, atheistic and materialistic lives.  These are the lost sheep today as mentioned in the gospel.
But to forget about our mission means we have failed in our responsibility.  When the Church is only functioning as a maintenance Church, providing services to its parishioners, it will eventually die as it lacks vision and mission.  In the gospel, Jesus made it clear that He came precisely for the lost sheep.  His heart was not so much for the self-righteous but for the sinners.  The parable of the lost sheep illustrates the heart of God.  Every sheep is important to God, even the little ones.  No one is insignificant to God.  As Jesus said, “See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.” Whether they are sinners or children, they are all children of God.   God cares for every individual.  Jesus did not come to merely save humanity or a community.  He comes to save the individual as well.
The question that we need to ask as Church is, what are we doing for these lost sheep? Some might not be lost completely yet, but are wounded, confused, strayed and hungry. How are we feeding our faithful the Word of Life and nurturing them in the faith? What programs do we have and if there are such programs, are they effective in bringing them back to the Church?  How can we help our Catholics and those who are lapsed to be connected with God and find hope and solace in Him?  If we are not proactive in reaching out to them, then we do not have the heart of the Good Shepherd.  The truth is that whether we are clergy or active lay in Church ministry, we do not seem to see the urgency to reach out to all the lost sheep, not forgetting the very many people in the world seeking for meaning, purpose and life because they do not know Jesus as the Way, the Truth and the Life.  How can we be proactive when we are not even reactive to the current challenges facing the Church?  Merely being contented with those who come to our parishes means that we are missing out on the great opportunities presented to us in bringing Christ especially to those young and old Catholics who have lapsed and to the migrant Catholics as well.  Most of all, we have the big harvest waiting in the vineyard for us to reap in the many migrants who are searching for God.  However, unlike other Christian churches, we are slow to act.
What, then, does it take for us to be a truly evangelical and missionary Church?  Today’s first reading gives us the clue.  Firstly, we read that God told the prophet, Ezekiel, “’son of man, listen to the words I say; do not be a rebel like that rebellious set.  Open your mouth and eat what I am about to give you.’ I looked.  A hand was there, stretching out to me and holding a scroll.  He unrolled it in front of me; it was written on back and front; on it was written ‘lamentations, wailings, moanings.’”  In other words, if we were to reach out to all the lapsed, wounded, stray Catholics and those outside our churches, we must first learn to identity with them in their pain, hopelessness, hurts and confusion.  So long as we cannot feel with the sick, the abandoned, the marginalized, the lost and the oppressed, we will not see the need to offer ourselves as a living sacrifice to alleviate their sufferings.  If the prophet was asked to eat the scroll of “lamentations, wailings, moanings”, it is in order that he might feel with God for His people.  Once we hear their cries and empathize with them in their pains, our hearts will be moved for them as God’s heart is moved by our sins.
Secondly, to reach out to such people, we ourselves must first find hope.  We must have already tasted the love of God.  Otherwise, how can we give what we have not got.  Once again, we hear God telling the prophet, “’Son of man, eat what is given to you; eat the scroll, then go and speak to the House of Israel.’ I opened my mouth; he gave me the scroll to eat and said, ‘Son of man, feed and be satisfied by the scroll I am giving you.’ I ate it, and it tasted sweet as honey. Then he said, ‘Son of man, go to the House of Israel and tell them what I have said.’”
Indeed, passion for mission presupposes that we have tasted the goodness of the Lord in our lives. This was what gave the psalmist the confidence in God when he prayed, “How sweet to my taste is your promise! In the way of your decrees I rejoice, as much as in all riches. Yes, your decrees are my delight; they are my counselors. The law of your mouth is to me more precious than thousands of gold and silver pieces. How sweet to my palate are your promises, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Your decrees are my inheritance forever; the joy of my heart they are. I gasp with open mouth, in my yearning for your commands.”  Only when we have discovered the love and mercy of God, can we proclaim Him to others in thanksgiving.  Only the lost sheep appreciates the mercy of God when he is found.  Those who are lukewarm Catholics, neither dead nor alive, live their faith like a dead fish or dead bones.  There is no passion, no joy, no love or gratitude to God because we do not know we are lost because of our self-righteousness.  To be excited about Christ is the condition of proclamation.  Truly, until and unless we have been touched by the Lord’s love and mercy in our wretchedness, we will never know the heart of God and His love for us.  But if we have the grace to come to realize how ignorant, ungrateful and foolish we are in living a self-righteous or sinful, worldly way of life, then we will be powerful and zealous prophets and missionaries of our Lord.

Written by The Most Rev William Goh Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore © All Rights Rese

No comments:

Post a Comment